This story was updated in January 2019.
Everyone has bad days, but no matter how much we try to deny, we can’t go through this phase alone. Despite knowing what’s right and what must be done, sometimes we need a little push from someone we trust to help us see the bigger picture in life. Soft words to calm us down, cute little texts to cheer us up, or a tight hug that acts as the most powerful spell in the world to obliviate all our worries.
What’s worse than having a bad day? When your most favourite person in the world, aka your boyfriend, is having a rough day and his mood is completely off! Even if he wants to deal with his stuff in his own ways or is unable to think of a solution for a problem, you can still make him feel loved, appreciated and most importantly, understood. Want to know how that's possible? We’ve got everything covered in our ‘How To Cheer Up Your Boyfriend’ guide.
1. Take him out for a walk and talk it out - Fresh air does more good than you know. Don’t forget to hold his hands and show some PDA to make him smile.
2. Go on a long drive - Head somewhere without a destination. Play his favourite music, pull down the windows and make him feel ALIVE!
3. Plan a weekend getaway - A change from his mundane schedule is what he needs for a little peace, whether it’s at a sweet little cottage in the hills or at a beachfront resort.
4. Plan an adventure sport - If he gets high on thrill, there’s nothing better than making him do what he loves the most at his lowest point. Check out ziplining at Neemrana Fort Palace or paragliding in Goa.
5. Play his favourite sport - Take him out for squash or bowling, or a game he enjoys most. Be his fun partner and #1 cheerleader, just the way you are in all the ups and downs of his life.
6. Plan a cosy date at home - Binge-watch his favourite movies or TV series (ideally, comedy) while gorging on some delicious food and snuggle under one blanket till you both fall asleep.
7. Lots and lots of cuddles - Last time I checked, this was a scientifically proven way to release all the stress hormones in your body. Just hold him super tight, kiss him gently and assure him that however messy life may be at the moment, everything will work out soon.
8. Send him an adorable video message - Compliment him. Tell him what he means to you. Try to be as expressive and romantic as possible. These out of the blue, priceless videos are guaranteed to make him feel super special and important, instantly.
9. Arrange a boys night out for him and his best friends - Get his friends to take him out. Let him forget his worries for a while over an evening full of laughter, drinks and fun.
10. Surprise him with a visit - Show him that his happiness is your topmost priority by taking a day off from work and spending the whole day with him.
11. Send him cute and ridiculously hilarious selfies - Smile like a Dracula, show your whole set of teeth, get cockeyed and pout like a pirate - the goofier, the better. These exclusively-clicked funny selfies for your man are guaranteed to make his day!
12. Send him the cheesiest pick-up lines - Make him blush and laugh-his-brains-out at the same time. After all, isn’t he your most favourite cup of coffee - hot and lip-smacking?
13. Let him vent - Tell him to take you through his entire day - from the beginning to the end, so you’ll feel just as much part of it as he is. Even if you can’t think of a solution, just be a good listener and let him pour his heart out. The sooner he does this, the sooner he starts feeling better.
14. Take his mind off things for a while - If he doesn’t want to talk about it, give him some space. Pressuring him into telling you what’s wrong might even worsen the situation. Give him as much time as he needs and be there for him whenever he’s ready to talk about it. Till then, engage him in a funny conversation that distracts him and most importantly, makes him smile!
15. Get his favourite food delivered - There aren’t many things in the world that a scrumptious cheesy pasta or spicy chicken momos with an iced latte can’t solve.
16. Spontaneous texts are magic - In the middle of the day, when he’s bogged down by a deadline and work becomes overwhelming, send him a sweet little text message saying, ‘I love you, and I’m proud of you.’ It can do wonders as a stressbuster!
17. Spoil him silly - Whatever he wants - a bowl of hot soup, a greasy plate of pasta or some home-cooked cookies. Pamper him and he’ll get better soon!
18. Give him a nice massage - Help him relax. Light scented candles in his room and pepper the house with potpourri to reduce his stress. This might even put him in a pre-slumber mood and calm his nerves.
19. Make your actions speak louder than your apology - Leave him cute notes around the house to remind him why you love him. It can be the first thing he sees on his bedside table when he wakes up, on the bathroom mirror when he heads for a shower or behind a refrigerator magnet when he enters the kitchen.
20. Sing for him - There’s obviously nothing more romantic and daring than serenading his favourite song in front of everyone, to clearly show how much he means to you. Even if you end up sounding like Vikram Seth’s frog, at least it will make him laugh.
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST. Online shopping for women never looked better!