Periods are an integral part of every woman’s life. From when we hit puberty till we hit menopause, our monthly visitor is always right around the corner. And it would be a shame if we didn’t know everything about it. Here are 10 facts about your period that will make you go whaaaat?
1. Body fat is important to menstruate
If your body fat goes below 8-12% then there is a high chance that your periods will abruptly cease. The fat cells in a woman’s body are related to the estrogen levels and thus, are an important part of both procreation and menstruation.
2. The amount of blood you lose during a cycle varies from an average of two tablespoons to half a cup
Depending on how heavy your flow is, that’s the amount of blood you lose almost every month. Crazy, isn’t it?
3. Periods can cause iron deficiency
Since you are losing so much blood, you lose the iron in your body. This also makes you feel fatigued and tired.
4. On an average, a woman will spend nearly 10 years of her life menstruating.
Well, that’s just a very upsetting fact, isn’t it?
5. Your body acts as if it’s pregnant during the days leading up to your periods
The feeling of constant irritation, bloated stomach, acne and fluid retention are all the things that your body goes through during pregnancy. So, when you’re feeling all this during PMS, don’t worry. It’s all normal!
6. Synchronized periods is not a scientifically proven phenomena
We often talk about how our periods are always synchronized with the women around us, aren’t we? Well, sadly, this is not a scientifically proven fact… At least, not yet!
7. In the colder months, your periods get more brutal
You might not like winters too much for a lot of reasons - here’s one more! Your period pain, the flow of your blood and even the duration of your periods is more during the winter months than in the summer months.
8. Menstrual discharge is not all blood
There is your uterine lining which also comes along with the blood, giving it a thicker consistency than blood.
9. Periods can also lead to a change of your voice
Apparently you sound different when you are on your periods, especially to men. A study published in the journal Ethology claimed that men who listened to women’s voice recordings were able to tell which women were menstruating. Freaky, right?
10. Your periods lead to an enhancement of your male cognitive skills
Since your estrogen levels decrease during your periods, you might just end up thinking more ‘like a man’ during those 5-7 days. Maybe this way we might be able to understand them a bit, eh?
GIFs: Giphy Want to know more?
Published on Apr 30, 2017