Many of us never had Sex Ed when we were growing up. A workshop here and there, but that was pretty much it. So here are some of the things you need to know if you didn’t have Sex Ed in school either!
1. Sex isn't just for making babies. Unlike your biology textbook would like you to believe, sex isn't just for reproduction. It's less scientific than that and more emotional.
2. You can say no to anything at anytime.Don't feel obliged to agree to something you aren't comfortable with under pressure. You can say no at any point and you can change your mind after saying yes. Don't ever feel ashamed of doing so!
3. Wanting to say yes to things is also completely okay. Wanting to explore is also completely natural. Everyone has sexual needs and while you might not want to advertise them, there is also no need to suppress them. Do however much you feel comfortable with and stop as soon as you don't.
4. It's not just the boys who need to know how to put on a condom.Just like having a condom is not just the guy's responsibility, knowing how to put it on is a life skill that both men and women need to learn about. You never know when you might need it!
5. There are other measures of birth control. The patch, the pill, the IUD… You're spoilt for options when it comes to birth control, but they all work differently so extensive research and consulting a doctor is a must before considering them.
6. STDs are a real danger. Some STDs don't just spread through vaginal intercourse but through oral and anal sex as well. Some can even spread through skin to skin contact. Knowledge and caution are key factors when it comes to these.
7. Masturbation is completely normal. Wanting to explore your own body and acting on the sexual urges you might feel is completely natural and nothing to be ashamed of. The better you know your body, the better you’ll know what you like and don’t like.
8. Having sex for the first time isn't all that glamourous. Yes, it can be painful. And definitely quite uncomfortable at first. But with time you get the hang of it. And not every girl has an orgasm the first time she has sex, so don’t be surprised or upset if it doesn’t happen for you!
9. Sex isn’t the only thing that can cause your hymen to stretch. Many girls don’t bleed the first time they have sex. Because of the kind of activities we’re involved in, including running, cycling or other athletic sports, the hymen has a very high probability of already being stretched.
10. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!There are way too many sources out there claiming things about sex that aren’t 100% accurate. Trust only reputable sources and always cross check things with an adult if the information seems dubious.
11. You can always confide in someone or ask for help. Find a grownup who you can trust and confide in them if you feel like the situation is a bit new for you and you don’t know what to do. It can be a teacher you’re comfortable with or an older cousin whom you gel well with. Ask all the questions that sound silly in your head, it’ll clear up so many things for you!Images: Shutterstock, Tumblr
HAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!
MUST-READ: 17 Things That No One Tells You About Oral Sex
MUST-READ: 7 Sex Mistakes EVERY Girl Has Made – So Relax!