This story was updated in January 2019.
Has it ever happened to you that a day before a big party or an event, a big zit suddenly sprouts up on your face? Or you didn’t get proper sleep for a week and now the circles below your eyes are redefining the meaning of panda eyes? Yeah, welcome to the club. In moments like these, we wonder if spotless and glowing skin is really too much to ask for? And the answer is no. It is possible to achieve your long sought-after dream of perfect-looking skin, all you need to do is, take care of it. But is the basic CTM technique enough? A Cleanser, toner and moisturiser routine can help you maintain a basic routine for your skin but with all the pollution and chemicals, you may need a bit more to get that flawlessly glowing skin.
We often try every other face wash, anti-ageing cream, moisturiser that hits the market and the golden rule of beauty regime is that you must pick the products as per your skin type. We have observed that understanding your skin type and picking the beauty product according to it can make all the difference because each product reacts differently for dry skin, oily skin, dead skin, patchy skin and combination skin. So choose wisely!
You could be a student, a homemaker, a freelancer or a girl boss in a big corporate office, regardless of these titles, every woman desires picture perfect glowing skin because it feels fantastic to have a pampered skin. Our skin is fragile and exposed to pollution and chemicals all the time. Not just that, our unhealthy lifestyle is also responsible for the glow on our skin, or lack of it. This includes our sleeping patterns, work stress, hectic schedules, lack of nutritional diet, pollution, smoke, UV rays and so on. With an urban life, you can’t run away from all this but you can certainly be more careful and prevent the damage. You can’t stop ageing but you can always slow down the process by eating right and by using efficient chemical-free beauty products. In fact, you don’t have to look outside or spend on expensive products, your kitchen has all the tools you need to get that luminous skin you’ve always wanted. You can either make them a part of your daily diet for long term results or wear them as a face mask.
1. Turmeric: Saviour of all-good-things, turmeric works like a charm on skin. You can make a paste of turmeric, gram flour, milk or water. Apply it once or twice a week for brighter, happy skin.
2. Aloe Vera: Aloe vera nourishes and heals the skin. So buy a good aloe vera gel, I prefer Forest Essentials’ Light Hydrating Aloe Vera Facial Gel (Rs 1,350). Make a thick paste of aloe vera gel, honey, turmeric and milk and apply it at least twice a week.
3. Baking Soda: Baking soda exfoliates the dead skin and balances the pH of the skin. You can add it to virgin olive oil and honey to make the paste and use it once a week.
4. Coconut oil: Known for its moisturising and nourishing properties, Coconut oil helps your skin absorb the necessary fatty acids that it needs. You can apply virgin coconut oil directly to your skin after cleaning your makeup at night for uber moisturization.
5. Papaya: Ripe papaya acts as a mild exfoliator for the dead skin. It’s gentle and doesn’t zap the moisture. You can add Fuller’s earth and honey to the papaya paste and use it once a week.
6. Honey: This ever-nourishing ingredient can be applied directly on the skin. Massage your face with honey every alternate day.
7. Cucumber: Cucumber cools down the cells of your skin and rejuvenates them. You can mix the cucumber paste with yogurt and apply it three to four times a week to revive a tired-looking complexion.
8. Green Tea: Rich in antioxidants, Green tea maintains the collagen production in the skin, which keeps it looking young and alive. Boil green tea leaves in water, then let it cool. Add some cream and apply it on your face at least twice a week.
9. Olive Oil: Olive oil is an excellent moisturiser and adds a natural shine to your skin. You can apply it after cleaning your makeup, massage it in for three to four minutes then dab-clean it with a soft towel dipped in hot water.
10. Carrot Juice: Other than face masks, adding hydrating vegetable juices to your daily life is a great idea. Carrots are rich in antioxidants, beta-carotene and vitamin A, which not only improves skin texture but is also beneficial for the eyesight. You can also add ginger to your juice.
11. Bitter Gourd: The bitter the better but you can add lemon juice, salt and pepper to your bitter gourd. Drink it every day or every alternate day. It improves digestion and purifies the blood.
12. Saffron: Saffron is rich in antioxidants, it keeps the skin naturally glowing and clean. You can boil saffron till it leaves its colour and then add honey to it before drinking. You can also just soak some saffron in honey and use it as a paste.
13. Orange Juice: Oranges help the body detoxify and vitamin C clears the complexion. You can add it to your daily diet.
14. Banana: Banana is rich in minerals such as potassium which hydrates the skin and vitamin A, B, C and E which adds a glow to the skin. You can add a banana to your daily diet or make a paste of banana and milk to use it as a face mask.
15. Rose Water: A natural skin toner that cleans your skin and makes it feel refreshed. Apply it with a cotton pad twice a day (morning and evening).
Every time I hear the news of one of my cousins getting hitched, my first thought is about changing my diet. The good news is, at least weddings come with enough window to prep your body for a healthier look. If you have at least two weeks to get glowing skin, you can take up a healthy lifestyle challenge. Here are a few things you’ll need to do in that two week time.
1. Try a three-day detox.
2. Add turmeric, aloe vera, cucumber, baking soda, papaya to your diet and use the face mask with the ingredients every alternate day.
3. Drink green tea, every single day.
4. Consciously add Vitamin C to your diet.
5. Massage your face with honey daily.
6. Exercise for at least 15 minutes, every day.
7. Drink coconut water.
8. Avoid fried or oily food. Eat at home.
9. Feel happy from within.
Well, there’s nothing like an emergency call. You don’t always have weeks to experiment. Sometimes, you just have to wake up and go for a meeting, a party or a date. The truth is, glowing skin is a process that takes its time and happens beautifully but sometimes, we just need an overnight solution. So here are a few things you can do to wake up to more radiant-looking skin in one night.
1. Use an overnight sleeping face mask of your choice and apply moisturiser after washing it.
2. Dab some rose water on your face and let it stay overnight.
3. Massage with coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil at night, let it stay for the night.
4. Apply milk on your face and let it sit for the night. Wash it off with cold water in the morning.
5. Apply a thick layer of aloe vera gel and massage it softly before going to bed. Wash it off with cold water in the morning.
6. Soak a tablespoon of sesame and rice in water, leave it overnight. Make a paste out of it in the morning and use it as a scrub for a natural glow.
The real task has been done, you’ve got that blemish-free, radiant skin that you’ve always wanted and now it’s an all-things-beautiful kind of situation for you. But even when you finally achieve that dreamy dewiness, it’s gonna take some conscious efforts to maintain it. Hence, you’ll have to take care of some key factors - your lifestyle, the food you eat and the beauty products you use.
To maintain that radiance, you will have to make sure you are drinking enough water, whether it’s summer or winter. Use lukewarm water to wash your face (don’t use hot water on your face) and moisturise right after washing it. You should make it a point to moisturize in the morning and the night every day. Protect your skin from pollution as much as possible. Exfoliate and eat healthy. Continue to exercise. Maintain the lifestyle you took up to get the glowing skin. Opt for DIY masks and do remember to add at least one moisturising ingredient in your face mask. Avoid touching your face again and again. Instead of using soaps, use a natural cleanser such as Fuller’s Earth and chickpea flour. Replace your winter creams or creams in general with coconut, almond or olive oil. Most importantly, get proper sleep, don’t compromise on your sleeping hours and wake up on time so you can provide your body with some fresh air. O2 and H20 are two powerful tools we have for smooth skin.
There are no days without food and there is no glowing skin without healthy food. It’s important to keep your diet clean in order to have a clear complexion. An unhealthy diet can damage your metabolism, your organs and your skin. As per scientists’ researches, a good diet can be effective for the age of your skin. It’s important to give your skin enough antioxidants, protein, Vitamin C & E and omega-3 to maintain its health. A few foods for glowing skin that you must add to your diet are fatty fish, healthy fats such as ghee, avocados, seeds, walnuts, yellow and red bell pepper, broccoli, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, papaya, dark chocolate and green tea. It is important that you give your skin the right amount of nutrients in time.
1. Kama Ayurveda Kumkumadi brightening Ayurvedic Face Scrub
This top-rated face scrub is known to instantly soften and brighten your skin. Made with 12 ‘precious and rare’ ingredients, including real saffron and almonds, this scrub illuminates your skin and reduces pigmentation. Pamper your skin with this baby once or twice a week.
Price: Rs 1,295. Buy it here.
2. Forest Essentials Facial Tonic Mist Pure Rosewater
Rose water is one of the best and gentlest toners for your skin. Not only does it shrink pores, but it also leaves your skin with a rosy glow! Use it after cleansing to see a visible difference. We think it’s great to carry in your purse for an instant spritz of rejuvenation on a long, hot day.
Price: Rs 1,150. Buy it here.
3. Vichy Normaderm Night Detox
This cream, which comes in a classy green tube, works overnight to give your skin the tender loving care it deserves. It’s best suited for people with oily skin, and has received amazing reviews, so get it now to wake up to fresher looking skin!
Price: Rs 3,748. Buy it here.
1. Kama Ayurveda Kumkumadi Miraculous Beauty Fluid
If you’re dealing with dull and pigmented skin, then give this serum a shot, ladies. Formulated with a unique blend of oils, herbs and pure saffron, this product will even out your skin tone and brighten up your skin. Not only that, it also helps prevent several bacterial and fungal infections in the long run.
Price: Rs 2,395. Buy it here.
2. Helichrysum & Rosehip Serum (Cell Construction Serum)
Tired of those pesky acne scars and marks? Use this face serum to get rid of all the blemishes and get an even skin tone. It not only helps repair damage, but also keeps your skin moisturized all day long. Say goodbye to blemishes and dark spots, ladies!
Price: Rs 550. Buy it here.
3. Argan Oil Radiance Overnight Oil-in Serum
For radiant looking skin, make sure you apply this serum on your face every night before going to bed. Enriched with argan oil, it will help nourish your skin and you’ll wake up with a gorgeous glow in the AM.
Price: Rs 899. Buy it here.
Heard of the glass skin trend yet?! Yes, that’s the target for most of us. While all skin types and tones have their own charm, it is no secret that most of us are highly impressed or rather in awe of Korean skin for all the good reasons. It looks clean, healthy and flawless. The major contribution to the blemish-free Korean skin is made by genes and vitamin E-rich seafood but Korean women do get some secret recipes and routines from their ancestors to maintain their coveted skin. In fact, the glass skin regime is being followed and shared by many Korean women. Glass skin is not so much about the shade of your skin, it’s about having a glowing, smooth and acne-free skin. Aren’t we all rooting for that? So here is the routine that’ll keep your skin, healthy, happy and bouncy!
1. Start by taking off your make-up every night using Neutrogena's Makeup Remover Cleansing Wipes (Rs 498). And you may think the cleansing process stops here but it does not. You also or Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser (Rs 825) for the process. Both of these are good options. They don’t dry out your face.
2. After cleansing is done, start toning the face in order to remove any remaining dirt and oil (a step you might be skipping, but you shouldn’t). For toning, you can stock up on Clinique Clarifying Lotion 3 (Rs 1,890.) However, you may feel that toner will leave your skin dry but that isn’t true, a toner actually nourishes it.
3. Apply a decent amount of moisturiser after toning to keep your skin hydrated all night long. You can use Cetaphil's Moisturizing Cream (Rs 360) and Wonjin Effects Water Bomb Cream (Rs 3,160), but the latter is better for the oily skin.
4. Add exfoliation to your routine and do it every other day after cleansing to get rid of the dead skin using Skinfood's Black Sugar Strawberry Wash Off Mask (Rs 2,099). Strawberry and sugar are both efficient yet gentle ingredients to clear out your dead skin.
5. Use a sheet mask from Innisfree, maybe once or twice a week. It’ll help the pores as well (you can use Innisfree It's Real Squeeze Mask - Tea Tree available at Rs 100 for better results on oily skin, FYI.)
6. And now, finally, some diet tips coming up. Greens, fruits and vegetables are the key components. Avoid greasy food and make sure to drink a lot of water daily.
Every time I look at Alia Bhatt’s glowing face, I wonder what’s her secret. Apart from the fact that she’s genuinely a happy person, there are a few secrets that help a star get their glowing skin. Here are some of them!
1. Following a beauty regime, consistently.
2. Hydrate regularly.
4. Relying on natural remedies, going back to Ayurveda.
5. Using a face mask at least once a week.
6. Washing off makeup and moisturizing before sleeping.
7. Watching what you eat.
8. Getting enough beauty sleep.
9. Not ignoring sunscreen.
10. Exfoliating correctly.
11. Including enough vitamin C and E in your diet.
12. Consuming enough protein.
Image Source: Shutterstock
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST. Online shopping for women never looked better!