There are many girls out there who shy away from wearing dresses and skirts because they feel they don’t have slender, super-model perfect legs. If you are one of them, there are two things you should know. 1. There is no such as “perfect slender legs”. And number 2. There is no such thing as a perfect body. But there are awesome styling hacks you can use to dress according to your body type and be your best beautiful self every day. Here are 6 tips to keep in mind when styling skirts and dresses if your calves are a little on the heavier side.
1. Pick the right skirtWith a plethora of skirt styles and designs out there in the market...all of which are so pretty, we can’t help but be tempted to grab all of them. As pretty as they may look, knowing what style suits your body is always helpful. For girls with heavier calves, you should always look for skirts that have volume. For example:(a) Circle SkirtsCircle skirts flare out without pleats or gathers. These skirts are flowy and full and make a circular shape when you spread them out. The fullness of the skirt makes your calves and legs appear slimmer.POPxo Recommends: Dorothy Perkins Circle Skirt (Rs 3,890)(b) Skater SkirtsSkater skirts are like circle skirts but shorter and work on the same design principle, making your legs appear slender and long. POPxo Recommends: Vero Moda Skater Skirt (Rs 1,245)(c) Tulip SkirtsIf you love to play dress up and experiment with your outfits, then go for tulip skirts that are just so cute and trendy. Flaunt your legs in this stylish silhouette. You know you want to!POPxo Recommends: Pepe Jeans Tulip Skirt (Rs 1,499)
2. Pick the right dressAlso read: 10 Genius Ways To Style A Top To Make Your Waist Look Smaller!Now that you know what kind of skirts work for you, then picking the right dress should be a piece of cake. The tricks is all about getting the bottom half of that dress right. Look for skater dresses, fit and flare or A-line wrap dresses.And you already know you always have the good ol’ maxi dress you can run to if you want to not reveal your legs. Opt for slit maxi dresses as they’re more flirty and fun! POPxo Recommends: Giles at KOOVS Slit Maxi Dress (Rs 745)
3. Pick the right lengthThis is where most of us go wrong. Knowing the right length for your body is extremely important and equally tricky to get right. For heavier legs, especially calves, go for short skirts that end right above your knee or midi skirts that end right below the broadest part of your calves. These two are the narrowest parts of your legs and skirts that end there works wonders for girls with bigger calves.
4. Focus on your upper bodyAlso read: The Curvy Girl’s Guide To Styling A Mini Skirt!The oldest trick in the book. People will see only what you decide to show them. Draw attention away from what you think of as problem areas and direct it to other places. In this case, draw attention to the upper half of your body. Wear a statement neckpiece or play up your shoulders. This will take the focus away from your legs and you don’t have to worry about a thing!
5. Wear a long-line cover-upWith longline cardigans and kimono inspire cover-ups being the latest craze, why not seize the opportunity and make the most of it? If you want to wear a tight mini skirt, but you are not that keen on showing your legs, then this might be the right time to kick that apprehension right out the window. Just throw on a longline cover-up and keep on rollin’!POPxo Recommends: KOOVS Kimono Cover-up (Rs 2,095)
6. Pick the right shoesAlso read: 7 FAB Styling Tips For A Girl With A Bigger Butt!And we’ve saved the most important point for last. Pay attention, ladies, because shoes make ALL the difference, especially if you have thicker calves. Picking the right shoe is paramount for it has the power to seriously flatter your legs. Here’s a little breakdown on how to pick the right shoes if you want to make your calves appear slender and toned.(a) Say no to ankle strapsAnd we mean a big fat no. Anything with ankle straps will cut your legs making them appear shorter and broader. Bummer, we know! You can wear these strappy sandals with pants, but you might want to stay away from them if you are wearing dresses and skirts. What you want to do is create a long vertical line till your toes so your legs look long and sleek.POPxo Recommends: Catwalk Slip-on Wedges (Rs 1,895)(b) Consider heels!Heels always work for girls with bigger calves. Wear solid heels like wedges, or a tapered block heel. The heels balance out the calves and make them look longer and narrower. The height also makes your leg muscles appear toned, and we all know how sexy that is! Try to stay away from skinny stilettos as they exaggerate your calves.POPxo Recommends: Buzz Clogs (Rs 1,999)(c) Wear nude pumps and ballet flatsThe-life saviour that every girl must have in her closet - nude shoes. Shades of nude blend well with your skin tone, creating an impression of never-ending long legs. And they go with every colour and style of outfit too! There is nothing this beauty can’t do for you.POPxo Recommends: Tresmode Ballet Flats (Rs 1,035)(d) Choose shoes with a low vamp or thin strapThe lower the shoe vamp, the longer and narrower your legs appear. Avoid high-tops and closed shoes which can make your legs l
ook thicker. Minimalistic straps and sleek low vamp pumps are your BFFs. Look no further!POPxo Recommends: Tresmode Cotiles Heels (Rs 1,155)Now dress up, show up and own the world in the prettiest dress you can get your hand on!Images: Shutterstock