Short hair is in vogue, sure, but nothing can beat the otherworldly glamour of long, long locks! If you’re trying to make your hair grow long and beautiful, then we have a few easy but effective tips for growing long hair to help you out. Scroll down to know how to grow your hair *seriously* long!
Your Diet Directly Impacts Your Hair
Did you know that the kind of diet you eat has a direct impact on your hair health? According to University of Nev. School of Medicine, a diet deficient in minerals and vitamins could decrease hair health and distinctly slow your hair growth! So make sure you get ample amount of vitamins C, A, and E if you want to maintain a healthy scalp. Other such vitamins like B5, B6, B12, and biotin also help you in growing out your hair!
Hair Care Tips To Get Long HairWondering if you’re lacking something in your daily hair care routine? Well, check out our favourite beauty tips for hair to make sure you’re treating your hair right!
1. Take Care Of Your DietWhat you eat has a lot to do with how good or bad your hair and skin look! So increase the consumption of foods that will help grow your hair long and healthy. Consuming a high protein diet can help you get your desired results just in a couple of months. Nuts, eggs, pulses and plenty of water can definitely help you in achieving strong and long hair.For those with dry hair: Consume a diet rich in vitamins and proteins such as pulses, nuts, bananas, and brown rice.For those with oily hair: Consume a diet rich in antioxidants such as salads, green vegetables, and fresh fruits.
Also Read Best Shampoo For Hair Growth & Hair Care Tips In Marathi
2. Keep Your Scalp CleanOne of our very essential tips for hair growth is to keep your scalp clean and happy. Whenever your scalp feels sticky and itchy, just shampoo it to wash away the dirt and dead skin. Be it summer or winter - do not skip shampooing your hair for too many days at a stretch. But on the other hand, don’t over-shampoo as that could cause major dryness. Two to three times a week is ideal.If you have dry hair: Choose a shampoo that’s hydrating in nature and is mild on your scalp so that your natural oils don’t get washed away.If you have oily hair: Choose a gel-based shampoo that helps you in limiting the quantity of oil produced by your scalp.
3. It’s All In The TechniqueWhile we’re on the subject of shampooing, we can’t not talk about the right way to shampoo your hair! Instead of applying the product directly in your scalp, dilute it with water first and then apply it on your scalp while slowly working your way down the entire length of your hair.
Not only will this prevent your hair and scalp from getting directly into contact with harsh chemicals, but it will also promote circulation of blood in the scalp, thus promoting your hair follicles to grow! One of our most healthy tips for hair, this will definitely help you in maintaining a long mane!If you have dry hair: Lightly wash the length of your hair with shampoo suds.If you have oily hair: Focus more on your scalp and rid it off the excess oil, follow up with washing your strands.
4. Conditioning Is Not OptionalLast but definitely not the least in your hair wash routine - you cannot skip conditioning your hair if you want a mermaid-like mane. Use a conditioner every time you shampoo your hair to keep it soft and moisturized. This one also makes to our list of hair care tips for dry hair. Also, do not forget to treat your hair and scalp to a good old champi once a week. It will nourish your scalp and help your hair grow long.For those with dry hair: Just like your shampoo, choose a conditioner that’s loaded with nutrients and provides your hair the necessary protection.For those with oily hair: Don’t go for a heavy formula since it would only weigh your hair down and cause your scalp to produce more oil.
5. The ‘Upside Down’ Trick This is one of most simple one from our stash of tips for growing long hair - just flip your hair upside down, massage your scalp gently for about 2 minutes and do this daily. Doing this will increase the blood circulation and grow your hair long and strong!
6. Cut Down On ChemicalsVarious hair procedures like colouring, rebonding, perming, etc., sound really tempting but all these procedures do A LOT of damage to your hair because they contain way too many harsh chemicals. So embrace your natural hair and stay away from such procedures as much as you can!
7. Go To Bed With Combed HairNo matter how tired you are, never go to sleep with tangled hair. If you want to long and healthy hair then comb your hair and put it in a loose braid every night. One of our favourite hair care tips in winter, combing your hair will help blood circulation in your scalp and will prevent friction while you twist and turn all night in your sleep. Friction can cause hair breakage and no one wants that!
8. Use Heat Styling Products, Wisely!Be exceptionally careful and wise while using heat styling products - avoid using them on a regular basis and whenever you use them, make sure to keep the temperature minimum. Here are a few dos and don’ts of heat styling your hair.
9. Go Easy With HairstylesIf you’re a girl who loves to try new hairstyles then just pick the ones that do not tug hard at your hair. Pulling your hair back in tight hairstyles looks chic and trendy but it damages your hair by making it weak from the root and thus becomes a hindrance in growing strong, long hair!
10. Power Of Home RemediesIf you haven’t given home remedies a shot yet then you’re missing out on something really useful for growing your hair long and beautiful. Stop splurging on pricey hair products that are possibly laden with chemicals, and whip up a nourishing DIY hair mask instead.Home remedies can actually work wonders for the health of your hair and help it grow longer, faster. Click here to know about some awesome home remedies that *actually* work!
Also Read How To Make DIY Hair Mask For Lifeless Hair
11. Hair SupplementsSometimes our daily diet is just not enough to provide all those vitamins and nutrients that are needed to grow lush, long hair. That’s when supplements step in! Biotin is one popular supplement in context to hair growth and there are numerous others as well. However, though most of these supplements are safe, it is advised you consult a doctor before taking any of them.For those with dry hair: Consume vitamins C, E, and A, along with biotin and B-complex.For those with oily hair: Green tea extract, amino acids, biotin, Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.
12. Trim Your Hair FrequentlyYes, you’ve read it right! This counterintuitive approach is one of the secrets behind getting those long and luscious locks you so desperately covet! Trimming the ends of the hair regularly ensures that get rid of all the damage at the ends of your hair, and also prevents it travelling farther up the hair shaft.
The result? A headful of long, luscious, and healthy hair!
13. Give Your Hair A Cold RinseWhile it’s super tempting to wash your hair with that oh-so-amazing shower of warm water, it could render serious damage to your hair! Not only will it make the hair rough, but it also strips your scalp of natural oils! So rinse them with cold water to seal the moisture in your hair cuticles and to ensure they remain luscious and strong!
14. Resist Hair ColourAs much as you love that beautiful shade of blonde, colouring your hair could also prevent you from achieving the maximum length of your hair! Light hair colours also involve bleaching, which render permanent damage to your hair cuticles!
15. Avoid Brushing Wet Hair
Did you know that the precious hair on your head are the most sensitive when they’re wet? So avoid tugging harshly at your hair when you’re fresh out of the shower, because this is the time your hair is most susceptible to breakage. If hair combing is an absolute must, replace your thin-toothed comb with a wide toothed one. Trust us, your hair will thank you!Now that you know all our hair care tips and tricks about maintaining that healthy head of hair, go ahead and look your fabulous best each day, every day!Images: ShutterstockThis story was updated in March 2019.