The last three months of a year are undoubtedly the happiest ones in India. There is a nip in the air and festive cheer all around us. Homes are decked up with earthen lamps, fairy lights line the cityscape and sweet shops are bustling with people. Following Navaratri, Durga Puja, Dussehra and Diwali, there’s another festival that Indians look forward to with great zeal and zest. Considered as the most special occasion for the Sikh community around the world, Guru Nanak Jayanti or Gurupurab commemorates the birth anniversary of Sikhism’s first founder, Guru Nanak Dev Ji. It falls on Kartik Poornamashi (full moon) in the months of October or November and is celebrated with great devotion and reverence. In fact, this year (2019) marks his 550th birth anniversary!
Nanak Dev Ji was a religious guru and a spiritual healer who founded Sikhism in the 15th century and began the composition of Guru Granth Sahib. Two days before Gurupurab, this holy book is read continuously over a period of forty-eight hours, either at home or in Gurdwaras in a ritual known as Akhand Path. The next day, a procession led by Panj Pyare where the Sikh flag, Nishan Sahib and a decorated palanquin with Guru Granth Sahib is carried. The participants recite Gurbani (religious hymns of Sikhs), play their traditional musical instruments or perform Gatka (martial arts of Sikhs). On the main day, the devotees wake up before sunrise for Prabhat Pheris where they take rounds around the society, reciting Asa-Di-Var (hymns from the Sikh scriptures) and head to Shabad Kirtan, a musical rendition of Waheguru’s teachings. A free meal called Langar and Karah Parshad is also offered to all devotees in Gurudwaras.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji founded Sikhism on the foundation of three principles: Naam Japo, Kirat Karo and Vand Ke Chhako. The principles teach you to meditate on the divine powers of God, work with full dedication and honesty to earn a living and share whatever you have with your fellow human beings without any hesitation. So, this Gurupurab, we bring you 25 of the most beautiful quotes by Guru Nanak Dev Ji that will help you lead your life with love, wisdom and faith!
1. “Those who have loved are those that have found God.”
2. “Burn worldly love, rub the ashes and make ink of it, make the heart the pen, the intellect the writer, write that which has no end or limit.”
3. “Dwell in peace in the home of your own being, and the Messenger of Death will not be able to touch you.”
4. “Even Kings and emperors with heaps of wealth and vast dominion cannot compare with an ant filled with the love of God.”
5. “He who has no faith in himself can never have faith in God.”
6. “If the people use the wealth bestowed on them by God for themselves alone or for treasuring it, it is like a corpse. But if they decide to share it with others, it becomes sacred food.”
7. “There is but one God. True is His Name, creative His personality and immortal His form. He is without fear sans enmity, unborn and self-illumined. By the Guru’s grace, He is obtained.”
8. “He who regards all men as equals is religious.”
9. “Through shallow intellect, the mind becomes shallow, and one eats the fly, along with the sweets.”
10. “The world is a drama, staged in a dream.”
11. “I am neither male nor female, nor am I sexless. I am the Peaceful One, whose form is self-effulgent, powerful radiance.”
12. “Speak only that which will bring you honour.”
13. “What should the yogi have to fear? Trees, plants, and all that is inside and outside is He Himself.”
14. “I am neither a child, a young man, nor an ancient; nor am I of any caste.”
15. “Nanak, the whole world is in distress. He, who believes in the Name, becomes victorious.”
16. “Whatever be the qualities of the man with whom a woman is united according to the law, such qualities even she assumes, like a river, united with the ocean.”
17. “Whatever kind of seed is sown in a field, prepared in due season, a plant of that same kind, marked with peculiar qualities of the seed, springs up in it.”
18. “Wherever the Protector of all keeps me, there is heaven.”
19. “Realization of Truth is higher than all else. Higher still is truthful living.”
20. “One cannot comprehend Him through reason, even if one reasoned for ages.”
21. “By singing the Guru’s hymns, I, the minstrel spread the Lord’s glory. Nanak, by praising the True Name, I have obtained the perfect Lord.”
22. “Riches cannot be gathered without sin and evil means.”
23. “Let no man in the world live in delusion. Without a Guru, none can cross over to the other shore.”
24. “Alone let him constantly meditate in solitude on that which is solitary for his soul, for he who meditates in solitude attains supreme bliss.”
25. “I bow at His Feet constantly, and pray to Him, the Guru, the True Guru, has shown me the Way."
Furthermore, if you’re looking for some beautiful greetings - apart from quotes - to share with your friends and family, we bring you 20 of the best Gurupurab or Guru Nanak Jayanti wishes to choose from.
1. When you kneel down in front of the Guru Granth Sahib, He stands up for you. When He stands up for you, no one can stand against you. Happy Gurupurab!
2. May the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji reflect kindness, goodness and compassion in you. Wish you a very happy Gurupurab!
3. May Waheguru Ji inspire you to achieve all your goals and bless you in whatever you do. Aap sab nu Gurupurab di lakh-lakh vadaiyaan!
4. May happiness and blessings surround you and your family as we join together to remember the beloved Guru Nanak Ji and his teachings of Sikhism. Happy Gurupurab!
5. May the holy teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji guide you through the right path in your life. Wish you and your family a blessed Guru Nanak Jayanti!
6. May the name of Waheguru Ji and his divine love be enshrined within your heart forever. Happy Gurupurab!
7. May the flame of love shine eternally within you and aspire you to be a better person, each day. Wish you all the love and kindness, this Guru Nanak Jayanti!
8. May Guru Nanak Ji strengthen your mind and help you follow your heart in every part of life. Aap sab nu Gurupurab di lakh-lakh vadaiyaan!
9. May the teachings of Waheguru Ji be the guiding light of your life and bless you with all his love at each point. Have a happy and blessed Gurupurab!
10. Don’t just celebrate; share the joy for His birthday by doing something kind and make Him the happiest, this Gurupurab!
11. Enlighten your heart and soul with the spiritual belief of Waheguru and let it fill your life with peace and solitude. Happy Gurupurab!
12. May your faith remain forever embedded in Waheguru Ji, just the way his blessings continue to protect you. Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti!
13. As reflection is within the mirror, so does your Lord abide within you. So, why search for him outside? Heartiest Gurupurab wishes to you and your family!
14. On this auspicious occasion, may Waheguru Ji shower his blessings and unconditional love on each and every one of you. Wish you a truly blessed and spiritually fulfilling Gurupurab!
15. God is one but he has innumerable forms; He is the creator of all and He, Himself takes the human form. May Guru Nanak Ji always stay near you and continue to bless you!
16. Let His wisdom guide you through the course of life and show you the true beauty of this world around you. Wishing you and your family a blessed Gurupurab!
17. As you bow down in reverence to Waheguru Ji - may you learn to conquer all your worries and emerge stronger through your faith in His divine power. Happy Gurupurab!
18. Let the magic of your kindness be the reason for someone’s smile; let the sweetness of your vaani give someone the strength to go on with their life. Wish you a blessed Gurupurab!
19. May your life be full of Golden days with Guru Ji’s blessings on your side. Wishing you the happiest Gurupurab and a beautiful year ahead!
20. Let His teachings fill your mind with wisdom and your life with boundless joy, peace and love. Waheguru Ji Di Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Di Fateh!
Wish you and your family a very Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti!
Featured Image Source: Instagram
Introducing #POPxoEverydayBeauty - POPxo Shop's collection of skin, bath & body, and hair products that are fun, effective and 100% fuss-free. To celebrate, we’re giving everyone 25% off on pre-orders, so head to POPxo.com/beautyshop and take your beauty routine up a POP!
You Might Like This: