home / Beauty

11 Weird Facts You Did Not Know About Your Hair

From how to style it to what colour will suit you, you’re constantly getting your mane to look its best. You may think that you know your locks better than anyone; you do spend endless hours teasing and taming them after all, but did you know these weird facts about your hair?


1. You have loads of it

An average person has about 1,00,000 to 1,50,000 strands of hair at any given time, so stop freaking out when you see a clump of hair in your drain or your hairbrush.

2. You’re Not Balding Just Yet

You need to lose about 50% of your hair to even notice signs of balding.

3. Your Locks Take Time To Adjust

When you get a new hair cut, it takes a few days for your strands to settle in to the new shape and give you the full effect of the cut. Even if you start using a new hair product, your hair needs a few days to adjust, wherein you may even notice some hair loss while it takes its time to get used to the new product.

hairfacts gif

4. A Single Strand Can Live Long

A single strand of your hair can live as long as 5 to 7 years, unless you pull it out with some vigorous brushing of course.

5. It Has Elastic Properties When Wet

When your hair is wet, it can stretch up to 30% of its original length.

6. It Always Grows Back

As soon as a strand of hair is plucked from the follicle, a new one immediately begins growing in its place. This re-growth can happen up to 20 times in a lifetime.


7. Your Hair Will Grow Faster In The Summer

Heat boosts blood circulation which helps hair growth, so when the weather is warm, your locks will grow faster.

8. It’s Main Function Is Protection

The way your hair looks contributes immensely to your appearance, but that is far from what it was intended for. Unlike the rest of your body, your head has no protective layer of fat over it, which is why we have hair to shield us from the cold in the cooler months, just like animals have fur.

9. We Don’t Know About Fun, But Blondes Have The Most Amount Have Hair

Black hair is the most common hair colour, followed by blonde hair and red hair is the most rare, consisting of only 1% of the world’s population. The number of strands you have varies according to hair colour, with blondes having the most amount and redheads having the least.

10. Your Hair Grows Super Fast

If you’re trying to grow your locks long, you may not believe it but hair grows at an immense rate. It is the second fastest growing tissue in your body, after bone marrow. 90% of the hair on your scalp is growing as you read this, while the remaining 10% are in a ‘resting phase’.

11. How Long Do You Really Spend On Your Hair?

On an average, women spend about 6 hours a week washing, styling and blow-drying their locks, which amounts to 13 whole days in a year dedicated to making your hair.

How To Make Unwashed Hair Look Fresh

MUST READ: #StealTheLook: Celeb Hair Inspiration For The Festive Season!

MUST READ: What Does Your Hairstyle Say About You?

06 May 2016

Read More

read more articles like this
good points logo

good points text