Managing Editor, POPxo
Many of us make mistakes in the office. Easily fixable ones that are made out of not thinking things through more than anything else. Things so basic and simple that they shouldn’t even have to be written down. Today we give you the unspoken rules of the workplace - things your boss never wants to have to tell you. Embrace them, and you’re one step ahead of the game when it comes to that “Employee of the Year” award!
1. Acknowledge and reply to emails.
2. If you’re taking a break, let people know.
3. When there’s a f***-up, fix it first, and THEN discuss why things went wrong.
4. Take responsibility for your actions. Don’t try to pass the buck.
5. Show some initiative.
6. If you don’t answer your phone, call back. At the very least, send a text.
7. Engage with the work that the organization does - not just your own bit.
8. Ask for responsibility. That’s how you get to not even having to ask for a raise when you want one.
9. It is not okay to say “I was hungover” as an explanation for shoddy work.
10. Don’t say “This is too much for me to handle” without at least having tried to do it.
11. Don’t over-commit and then leave people hanging.
12. Don’t be a slacker.
13. If you see someone in your team is struggling, pitch in.
14. Manage your time properly. If you don’t know how to do it, ask for help until you figure it out.
15. Don’t forget instructions. Don’t ignore them either.
16. Missing your deadline has a domino effect - you’re going to make the next person in line miss their deadline too. If you’re anticipating missing one, let others know well in advance.
17. Social media is fantastic, but not during office hours. Unless you’re handling social media for your organization, or you work in the media (or a like industry) or in the online space.
18. If you have made a mistake, admit it. They may not like it, but they will accept it. And it’s better to admit than be found out.
19. A promotion is a reward based on performance; it’s not like auto-updating your phone software.
20. Be respectful to your colleagues. And they will respect you too.
21. The more money you make, the higher are expectations from you.
22. Unless it is an emergency, apply for leave well in advance. Don’t take leave when the organization has a big event or milestone coming up.
23. Don’t whine. If you have a problem, present it logically so that it can be addressed.
24. Know that the word “Urgent” is important and cannot be ignored.
25. Work is a commitment. Honour it.
Sign in to POPxo World
India’s largest platform for women
Read. Watch. Shop. Hangout.
Sign up for POPxo World!
Sign in to see the latest in life-changing products, empowering stories and infinitely amusing videos!