The season of red and pink is upon us, and being a single girl does not mean you can hide from the heart-shaped balloons being sold at every nook and corner and the mushy statuses being put up by your "committed" friends on Facebook.Whether you are single by choice or because you are yet to find what you are looking for, POPxo is here to tell you how to own your singlehood like the kickass, wonderful woman you are.
1. Celebrate yourself and other single friends with a party at home!Most nightclubs and pubs hold special Valentine's Day events and you can avoid the couples, the traffic and the PDA by transforming your living room into a private dance floor. Round up some of your single friends, put on your favourite music and dance like no one's watching.
2. Cook food for a loved oneThere is no law that says candlelight meals are meant to be partaken of only by couples. Whip up a tasty three-course dinner and share the love with a loved one - whether it is your parents, roommate or friend.
3. Step out for a film... Movies are not just a date activity. Spend three hours at the theatre with a huge tub of popcorn and a movie that is just right for your mood - a romantic film where the heroine walks out into the sunset with a hot guy or an action film where the girl punches the living daylights out of annoying individuals.
4. … Or have a movie marathon/ drinking game at homeMarathon-watch typical Valentine's Day fare like "Love Actually" or a movie featuring your celebrity crush with other single friends...and make a drinking game out of it! Take a shot every time a character says "love".
5. Buy flowers or a spa packageGift yourself a flower or a plant - to show your love for yourself. And surprise a friend with flowers to let them know they're special too. And if you are truly in the mood for some self-indulgence, pamper yourself with a nice massage or a facial.
6. Spend the Valentine's Day Sunday curled up with a book featuring the person of your dreams, with a humongous bar of chocolate for company.Whether it's with Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, Peeta from The Hunger Games or (heaven forbid), Christian Grey from Fifty Shades, get lost in a make-believe world for a few hours.
7. Read epic love letters written by historical figuresThe Brainpickings website has a series of love letters written by famous people throughout history and reading them might reassure you that you are right not to settle for less than an epic love.
8. Play Cupid!Do you have single friends from different circles that you always thought had similar interests or a similar appreciation for toilet humour? This Valentine's Day, you could set the ball rolling by concocting a plan to set them up on a date!
9. Go out for a platonic dateDress up for a nice dinner with a platonic friend - and confuse other couples at the restaurant about the nature of your relationship. (If you can't beat them, join 'em!!)
10. Make a playlist to set the moodAre you still waiting for that special someone or do you believe you are your own special someone? Make a playlist with songs like Michael Buble's "I Just Haven't Met You Yet" or Natasha Bedingfield's "Single" and play them throughout the day as you go about your errands.
11. Take some time out for yourselfThink about what you want and what you need in your personal life. Are they the same things? Is there anything stopping you from going after your realistic goals? (Dating Michael Fassbender doesn't count).
12. Be brave.Are you currently in the throes of a one-sided crush and scared to let him know? Or are you dreading getting back on the dating scene after a brutal breakup? Maybe it's time you give yourself some credit, a lot of courage and take a leap of faith forward.Or are you constantly under pressure for not being in a relationship? Be open and strong, and do not apologize for your desire for some me-time.February 14, like any other day, is a time to show your appreciation and just do the things you love with the people you love - yourself included. Have a happy Valentine's Day, readers! xoxoGIFs: TumblrHAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!MUST-READ: 10 Reasons I’m Secretly Happy To Be Single!MUST-READ: Dear Beautiful, 10 Reasons To Love Yourself – Every Single Day!