We’re talking about those women whose hair always seems to look beautiful and perfect, even on an early morning flight. And no, it’s not just about being blessed with great genes. These women do that extra bit – the products they use, their habits and way they care for their mane...it’s all about amazing-looking, glossy locks. We share a few simple tweaks and the little things that women with healthy hair do. With a few lifestyle changes, you can be part of the enviable hair club too!
1. They Don’t Sleep On Cotton PillowcasesNo matter how expensive it is, cotton absorbs moisture from hair (and your skin), which means dryness, frizz and brittleness. Switch to satin pillowcases that don’t tangle your strands much, cut down frizz and can prolong a blow-dry or any style.
2. They Have A Great CutHaving a hairdresser you like and who understands you and your hair is definitely important for having great hair. Switch boring one-length long hair for layers, texture and bangs that helps give your mane shape and look fuller and healthier. A cut that suits your natural texture well helps it dry well without much styling. Oh, and regular trims are a must of course to get rid of dry, split ends.
3. They Pay Attention To Their ScalpWhat goes hand in hand with healthy hair? A healthy scalp obviously! A clarifying shampoo once or twice a week is necessary to cleanse your scalp of excess oil, product build-up, dirt and grime and to promote healthy hair growth. Also, massaging your scalp regularly encourages circulation, which really does lead to stronger and shinier locks.
4. They Don’t Wash Their Hair TOO OftenYou’ll be shocked to know that that girl whose mane you’re admiring hasn’t shampooed her hair in about 3 days. Stretching a wash for 2-3 days doesn’t make you dirty, but smart for the health of your strands. Shampooing every day or too often really does strip your locks of moisture and leaves them dry, rough and frizzy. But that shouldn’t stop you from moisturizing your mane. You can wet and use conditioner in between those shampoos to make sure your hair is hydrated and soft. Why don’t you give it a try?!
5. They Know How To Handle Wet Hair Right
Women with healthy hair really don’t rub their wet strands with a rough towel; they know it’s better to pat it dry. Towel rubbing leads to frizz and split ends. Also, tying your hair back when wet is a big no-no. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a rush or have just worked out, your strands are at their weakest when wet, so pulling them back will weaken the roots and definitely cause hair loss.
6. They Know The Importance Of Champi
We all know this but have probably barely oiled our mane since we left school. Rubbing coconut oil on your hair about once a week really does make a huge difference. It will give you shiny locks that are happy, healthy and grow long. Go on and make your grandma proud.
7. They’re Smart About Heat Styling Okay, every girl needs the help of heat tools to get her strands to behave, but some women are smarter about it. They make use of the cool air setting so they aren’t damaging their strands as much. Plus, they know the importance of letting their hair air dry naturally a couple of times in a week to save it from damage.
8. They Brush Their Hair Right
You’ve probably never even thought about it, but the way you brush your strands plays an important role. The gentlest way to brush your hair is to brush it in sections starting from the ends and working your way up instead of just tearing through your strands. Any girl with healthy hair knows that a boar bristle brush is the best to evenly distribute your scalp's natural oils. Plus, use a wide tooth comb through your locks when you have conditioner on to ensure the moisture is distributed throughout your hair.
9. They’re All About Extra Nourishment Whether it comes to their diet or to products that provide extra moisture, some women go that extra step. Leave-in conditioners, heat protectant products, oils and moisturizing creams - they invest in the right products for extra hydration to fight dryness and damage. A nourishing diet is non-negotiable too! Multi-vitamins, omegas, nuts, fresh veggies, fish, avocados are a few things that help strengthen your locks.Images: ShutterstockHAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!MUST-READ: 7 Things You Can Start Doing NOW To Prevent Hair FallMUST-READ: What’s Your EXACT Hair Type? Here’s What You Need To Manage It!