Greying hair is something that all of us will have to deal with at some point in our lives...but not in our 20s and 30s! Are you spotting silvery strands that are making your hair look older than you are? The reduced production of melanin in the body (which is responsible for hair pigmentation) can lead to greying hair. If you have noticed that your hair is greying prematurely, we list out the causes…
1. Smoking Kills (And Ages Your Hair!)Not only is smoking terrible for your lungs, it’s also one of the major reasons for prematurely greying hair. The oxidative stress caused in the body by smoking leads to reduced production of melanin, which in turn causes grey hair.
2. Vitamin B12 DeficiencyLoss of hair pigment is directly related to deficiency of vitamin B12, which helps in the production of Melanocytes cells that are responsible for hair colour. This vitamin deficiency also causes fatigue and poor immunity so you should definitely see your doctor to help treat it.
Also Read Tips To Get Rid Of White Hair In Marathi
3. Unbalanced DietsA balanced diet is essential for good and healthy hair. People who are addicted to junk food are more likely to experience premature whitening of hair, as their dietary needs are not being met.
4. Stressed? Tensed? Worried? Have you heard the story of the old man who was so worried that his hair turned white overnight? Turns out that this old wives’ tale might just have some truth to it. Too much stress can lead to health complications, which in turn can cause premature greying of hair.And The Remedies…
1. Amazing AmlaAmla or Indian Gooseberry may be bitter to taste, but its health benefits are amazing. You can increase your intake of amla to combat hair that is turning white too soon! You can also make a homemade pack of dried amla, fenugreek seeds and coconut oil to apply on your hair. This pack, left in overnight, will help promote blacker and thicker hair.
2. Black Tea For Black Hair!One of the easiest way to fight greying hair is with black tea. Boil tea leaves in water, let them steep and strain the water. After the water has cooled down, apply it on your scalp. Let it sit for one hour and rinse with water. This will add a black shine to your hair and also improve hair elasticity.
3. Cure With Curry LeavesConsidered to be one of the most effective treatments for greying hair, curry leaves or kadi patta are a part of every Indian’s staple diet. You can boil curry leaves in coconut oil and apply the paste on your hair at least once a week to get rid of grey hair.
4. Henna For Healthy Hair ColourWhile henna cannot prevent the greying of hair, it can certainly act as a natural colourant that masks grey hair. You can make a paste of henna and coffee powder to apply on your hair, or you can buy a readymade pack, like this one by Biotique.
5. Vitamin Supplements To NourishWith our hectic lifestyles, we often don’t get proper nutrients. Sometimes, the vitamins we do take do not get properly absorbed by the body. To combat this, many people resort to vitamin supplements to make up for the nutrients their diets lack. If you notice premature greying in your hair and want to take supplements, you must consult your doctor before you do so.Images: ShutterstockHAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!MUST-READ: 7 Things Girls Who Have Beautiful Hair *Never* Do!MUST-READ: Not Just Grey! 5 Other Ways Your Hair Ages (And What To Do!)