Buying and wearing make up can be really intimidating for any beginner. And with the plethora of options, we have available today, picking up the best makeup products can be a nightmare. Fortunately, you’ve got us! We’ve put together this easy to follow this list of makeup products for beginners that you should have in your starter makeup kit. These products will cover all your basics and help you begin exploring the world of makeup.Here are The Essentials – your absolute must haves (and they’re super affordable too!).
Also Read 36 Easy Makeup Tips For Beginners
1. Non-Negotiable MoisturizerBefore you get into an elaborate beauty routine, remember to moisturize! For problematic skin especially, the Neutrogena Oil Free moisturizer is a great buy. It works well when worn under makeup and costs less than your fancy Starbucks coffee and sandwich, we assure you! POPxo recommends: Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture (Rs. 349)
2. A Super Chic Makeup Bag
A beginner makeup kit is incomplete without a cute bag to flaunt all the envious makeup, do you?POPxo Recommends: Forever 21 Makeup Therapy Makeup Bag (Rs. 469)
3. Flawless FoundationFor your beginner makeup kit, choose a foundation that is easy to blend and breathable. Always, always, always test your foundation along your jawline and neck. If it blends in flawlessly, you’ve got your shade. A flash photography test (in natural light) is absolutely essential before you buy that foundation - remember, it needs to match your skin tone exactly. Foundation that is a few shades lighter will look cakey and unnatural. Don’t be shy to ask people around for an opinion. Nobody wants to look like a ghost in photographs after all that effort! POPxo Recommends: Maybelline New York Fit Me Foundation (Rs. 525) and the Lakme Nine to Five Flawless Makeup Foundation (Rs. 575)
4. Magical ConcealerA concealer is that magical product that can transform your appearance. If you are blessed with blemish and dark circle free skin, we urge you to skip this step. If you do, however, have problems in that area, a lightweight, colour correcting concealer (that matches your skin) is the best makeup product you need to make your eyes look like you had tons of sleep. If you want to splurge, a MAC Concealer will never do you wrong - it’s worth every penny and will last forever, we promise. POPxo Recommends: If you’re on a budget, we recommend Essence Forget It 3 in 1 Concealer (Rs. 299) or Kryolan concealers, available at your nearest beauty center.
5. Compact To The RescueLook for a lightweight compact to set your foundation and concealer in place. A beginner makeup kit for oily beauties is incomplete without a compact which you would need for regular touch-ups.POPxo recommends: Maybelline New York Superfresh Compact (Rs. 150)
6. Blush, Blush!The best makeup product to brighten your appearance and give you that healthy flushed glow. After foundation, your skin may look very even toned and flat. A hint of colour on your cheekbones is the perfect finishing touch to your makeup routine and can add that pretty rosy flush. Look for a peach blush; it works well for all skin tones without looking too extreme. POPxo Recommends: Revlon Powder Blush (Rs. 650) - all 4 shades are stunning!
7. Lipstick Lovin’Find yourself a bold red or a coral lipstick to fit your needs from day to night. A lip palette can be your best bet when it comes to choosing the best lip makeup products for beginners. The palette would give you the freedom to play up with a lot of colours.
POPxo Recommends: Kryolan Lip rouge set (available at any beauty center/ store) works well with all skin tones. L’Oreal Paris Color Riche Intense Lipsticks (Rs. 899) are available in a variety of gorgeous shades and are super creamy.
8. Kohl + EyelinerA quality eyeliner pencil is one that doubles up as a kohl pencil. It is that tiny black line that gives your eyes an instant boost of energy. Your ideal pencil is one that will get you through rain and storm. Pencil liners are the easiest to use and give you great precision for drawing those lines.
POPxo Recommends: For a budget buy, Maybelline Colossal Kajal (Rs. 199) is a popular favourite amongst most of us, and for all those of you willing to splurge a bit, Lakme Absolute Kohl Ultimate Kajal (Rs. 725) is a great buy.
9. Mascara - Open Up Those Peepers!After that kohl pencil, mascara is that one product you need in your beginner makeup kit. It is unbelievable what the right kind of mascara can do for your face and eyes. Mascara will open up your eyes, make your lashes look fuller, and gives you an instantly glam effect. There are a lot of mascaras out there, try each one and see the effect you like best. We recommend a washable variety (they’re less harsh on your lashes) unless you plan to cry or go swimming with your makeup on! POPxo Recommends: Maybelline Volum’ Express Falsies Mascara (Rs. 500)
10. Blending Tools For A Professional FinishIn order to achieve that flawless finish, a good blending tool is a must. Remember, the goal is to look like you aren’t wearing any makeup. To blend your foundation, concealer and cream blushes, we recommend investing in a makeup sponge. It gives you a very airbrushed clean finish, makes it look natural and is far easier to use than a foundation brush.
POPxo Recommends: Real Techniques – Miracle Complexion Sponge (Rs. 580) and Forever 21 – Beauty Sponge Set (Rs. 239)
Featured Image: Shutterstock
HAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!
MUST-READ: #LipstickVirgin: A Beginner’s Guide to Doing Your Lips
MUST-READ: Our Beauty Editor’s Top Picks For A Pretty And Sexy February!