It can be super awkward or surprisingly comfortable, but doesn't mean they make us any less nervous! Yes, we’re talking about that dreaded rishta meeting that we always said we wouldn't go for but somehow still find ourselves roped into.
And more often than not, it turns out to be pretty okay. How to make sure you look your best, though? Try one of these looks to make a great first impression!
1. Chai Pe Bulaya HaiThe salwar suit is perfect for when you know there are going to be parents (and sometimes even grandparent) present at the event. The venue could be your house or his house so when you pick your suit, make sure it isn't too loud, too plain, too bright or too dull. Our favourite pick is this printed one from Biba, it's just right! Put on a bold lipstick to add some sass to your look! POPxo Recommends: Biba Orange Printed Churudar Kameez Dupatta (Rs 2,799), The Trunklabel Women's The Kelsey Flat Fashion Sandals (Rs 1,750), Maybelline Color Sensational Moisture Extreme Lipstick (Rs 285), Estelle Gold Plated Bracelet With Crystals For Women (Rs 849)
2. The Formal Dinner DateJust because it’s a rishta meeting dinner, doesn’t mean you have to go the traditional route! This maxi dress is the perfect example of wearing your western clothes while still being appropriately dressed for the occasion. Add a black stole if you think you might feel a bit chilly, a pair of smart flats that match and some simple bangles to add a slight Indian touch. Charm their socks off!POPxo Recommends: FEMELLA Printed Color Block Maxi Dress (Rs 1,290), LACEY'S Double Strap Metallic Leather Sandals, Plain Silver Coloured Metal Bangles (Rs 90), Mango Fringed Scarf (Rs 2,290)
3. The Family OutingA far easier situation to handle compared to the chai scenario. Meeting at a social gathering is something that can be quite pleasant as you also have enough distraction so it doesn't get too awkward. Opt for an anarkali suit in bright pink with golden accents. Put on a dazzling pair of golden heels that you're comfortable in and and add some dangling earrings to complete your look! POPxo Recommends: Sangria Pink Kurta Churidar Set (Rs 1,000), NEW LOOK Sparkle Glitter Heels (Rs 2,395), Divinique Jewelry Cz studded Bangles (Rs 290), Covo Drop Earrings for Women (Rs 599)
4. The After Work Coffee DateIf your parents are the more understanding kind, they'll let you meet the boy by yourself without any interference. One of the easiest things to plan out is a coffee date after work. You can keep it simple yet smart for this fitted pair of dark jeans, and a boxy white blouse. Wear some cool block heels so that you're comfortable during the day and carry your trusty tote along so you can carry your essentials with ease! POPxo Recommends: IRIS BY DENIM BLVD Button Down light Whiskered Jeans (Rs 2,199), RENA LOVE Cut Work Top (Rs 1,500), AVEC AMOUR Tote Bag (Rs 1,850), QUPID Buckle Heeled Sandals (Rs 2,695)
5. The Casual "Youngsters" Day Out Parents are getting smarter and this kind of rishta meeting is getting very common these days. They set you up with your bhaiyas and bhabhis (or even cousins) to go and hang out with "the boy". Go with an easy going yet sophisticated look for this one. We just love this FabIndia skirt! Pair it with a red top and some gorgeous small jhumkas and a statement bangle. POPxo Recommends: Silk Cotton Printed Skirt Set (Rs 3,990), Voylla Pretty With Maroon Colored Beads Jhumki Earring for Women (Rs 239), Dorothy Perkins Terracotta Longline Lace Blouse (Rs 2,290), Swarovski Elements White Gold Plated Bangle (Rs 2,199) MUST-READ: #ShaadiStyle: What’s Your Zodiac Bridal Fashion?MUST-READ: Jab You Meet: How To Avoid Awkwardness At That Rishta Meeting!