A Destination Wedding Beauty Guide For The Complete Newbie!
Destination weddings are such a big thing right now. It’s like everyone wants to get away and have an intimate wedding with their dearest ones. And while that’s great and guarantees a lot of fun, it also spells panic if you’re a newbie when it comes to hair and makeup! But because we truly understand your plight, here’s a beauty guide for starters… it’s all that you need!
1. Prep your skin
Your skin needs to be nice, clean and healthy for the makeup to look good. So before you leave for the wedding, get a face cleanup to get rid of blackheads and whiteheads. Invest in a good facial for your skin type and a bleach if required. Bleach is great if you need to get rid of tan and to camouflage your facial hair, plus it helps make your face look brighter too.
2. Good hair makes all the difference
Whenever I have a destination wedding to attend, I make sure to visit a great hair stylist a day before. Get a hair spa or just a hair wash along with a blow dry. Trust us, even if you are not great with styling your hair, a salon wash and blow dry ensures your hair will look decent for the next 2-3 days.
3. Putting together your vanity box
Since you’re just about starting out, it’s best to have a few essentials in your vanity box.
- Moisturizer – You need to moisturize your skin well before you start applying makeup. Choose one based on your skin type. Click here to know what moisturizers Team POPxo swears by!
- Foundation – For starters, liquid foundations work best as they are easy to apply and blend easily. Also, stick to your fingers when applying foundation since it takes time to master applicator brushes. And remember, blending is the key to achieving a natural finish. Check out our 6 personal favourite foundations here.
- Eye makeup – Invest in a good mascara. We swear by Maybelline The Colossal Volume Express Mascara (Rs 400, buy here). Also, Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (Rs 499, buy here) is a great buy since it doubles up as a kohl and eyeliner. For eye shadow we suggest the Rimmel Shadow Stick (Rs 400, buy here) since it works like a crayon and makes it super simple for beginners. Choose a neutral brown that’ll go with everything.
- Lipsticks – Your vanity kit will be complete with three essential lip shades. A deep red or wine for the night, a pretty pink or peach for morning ceremonies and maybe a pretty nude for when you’re just chilling. Check out these 7 lipsticks that look good on everyone!
- Compact and blush – We recommend the Lakme Absolute Face Stylist Blush Duos in Coral (Rs 750, buy here). It is a pot of two distinct shades that’ll keep you sorted all through the shaadi. Set your makeup by lightly brushing some setting powder. Maybelline Clear Glow Pressed Powder (Rs 199, buy here) is a great buy!
4. The only equipment you need for your hair!
The first time I went to a destination wedding, I packed in a curler, straightener and a hair dryer too! You never know what you’ll need. But if you’ve not really been into styling your hair then mastering each of these tools takes time. For a quick and easy hair makeover, we swear by the Philips Kerashine Heated Styling Brush (Rs 2,995, buy here). We love the fact that it’s as easy as combing your hair and comes with a heated barrel. The retractable bristles make sure you never have one of those moments where your hair get stuck! You can use this for basic styling. A hair spray for flyaways and you’re done.
5. Wipe off the makeup
Now that you’re taking baby steps towards makeup, you also need to make it a habit to wipe your face clean before hitting the bed. Sleeping with makeup on can harm your skin in so many ways. Try the Lakme Absolute Bi-Phased Makeup Remover (Rs 250, buy here). Use cleansing wipes to wipe it off and pat on some moisturizer.
6. Stick to the key rules
Makeup has some key rules such as – you must highlight just one feature. If you’re planning to go bold on your lips with a deep maroon shade, leave your eyes natural. Just a hint of kohl maybe. And if you want to highlight your eyes then let the lips be neutral. Also, just like your clothes, makeup too is season specific. Look for waterproof and matte products for summers whereas winters are great for glossy and cream-based products. And yes, less is more. So until you’re a pro, just keep it minimal.
Have fun, look pretty and click lots of selfies!
HAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!
MUST-READ: The Ultimate Beauty & Fashion Tips For A Destination Wedding!
MUST-READ: You’ll Love This Easy Yet Glam Makeup Look For That Next Shaadi