We’ve been seeing a lot of questions on POPxo about the best kajal to use, so we decided to do a short experiment for you guys bring you some honest kajal reviews! Plus, it’s always great to know about the best kajal out there, it is our fav makeup essential after all. The reviews are strictly on the basis of individual choices, however, some common expectations from a good kajal, as stated by everyone were - smooth glide-on, smudge-free, long-lasting and a deep black color to top it all.
10 Best Kajals: POPxo Team Reviews
So ten of us decided to try a different kajal/ pencil kajal each and see how it fares on a regular workday - from 10 am to 6 pm! The first pictures were taken in the morning and the second ones in the evening. See the results for yourself!
1. Pradipta tried the Maybelline Colossal Kajal Super Black“I’d been using the Maybelline Colossal Kajal as my everyday one for years; it’s when I ran out one day three months ago and I didn’t find it at the store next to my house that I bought the Colossal Super Black as an alternative. And that’s basically when I decided that this was going to be my BFF forever. It’s highly pigmented and super smooth to apply, and it doesn’t smudge all day long unless you rub your eyes vigorously. Though I haven’t put it to the 16-hour test as the packaging claims, I have worn it for 12-hour office days and come home to find my eyes still well-defined and with minimal smudging in the undereye area. Look at the pictures if you don’t believe me! The only flipside is that you HAVE to remember to take it off carefully before bedtime, else the dark pigment which was awesome all through the day before is going to give you raccoon eyes the morning after.” - Pradipta Sarkar, Managing Editor
Price: Rs 255. Buy it here.
2. Isheeta tried the Soultree Kajal“I got Soultree’s kajal as a gift and didn’t really use it for a while. Unlike pencil kajals, this one is a thick one, so applying it is sort of an issue because you don’t get a fine line, which also lead to my eyes stinging for an hour or so after I applied it. Though initially it made my eyes look sharp, by the end of it all the sharpness was gone and I was left with highlighted dark circles beneath my eyes. Overall, it wasn’t a very great kajal day for me!” - Isheeta Sharma, Lifestyle WriterPrice: Rs 350. Buy it here.
3. Shivani tried the Lakme Eyeconic Kajal“I have been using Lakme Black Eyeconic for a really long time now. I have sensitive eyes and after trying different brands of kajal, I believe Eyeconic works the best for me. It stays for almost all day and I even use it as an eyeliner. Even though it got a little smudged by the end of the day, I'd still suggest you guys use it. Why? Well, because the texture of the kajal is smooth, it's super easy to apply and my eyes never feel heavy.” - Shivani Shrivastava, Trending WriterPrice: Rs 210. Buy it here.
4. Neha tried the Lakme Eyeconic Kajal in White“I often use Lakme’s Eyeconic White Kajal to deal with sleepy, tired-looking eyes. All it takes is one gentle swipe on my lower waterline to instantly make my face appear brighter. It glides on like a dream, and unlike many other kajals, doesn’t irritate my eyes. But its one major drawback is that it doesn’t stay on, and needs frequent re-applications. After about 3 hours of using it on my waterline, it almost vanishes, leaving only a faint sparkle behind.” - Neha Gupta, Senior Lifestyle WriterPrice: Rs 250. Buy it here.
5. Somya tried the Loreal Magique Kajal“I have been using the L'Oreal Magique Kajal for more than six months, after several trial and errors. It glides on super quick, and has been the darkest one I have used. On a regular day, it lasts me without smudging for about four-five hours. The wear-off of this product is pretty good, as it doesn't leave me with under-eye circles once I have removed it.” - Somya Suresh, Senior Writer & Copy EditorPrice: Rs 275. Buy it here.
6. Srishti tried the Himalaya Kajal“I've been using Himalaya for a very long time now. It's perfect for the waterline and stays all day without smudging. But if you're planning to apply it on your upper eyelids, then you might want to have a look at my picture first! It smudges and spreads all over your eyelids! Definitely not the right pick for long workdays.” - Srishti Sabharwal, Fashion WriterPrice: Rs 120. Buy it here.
7. Sharon tried the Faces Magneteyes Kajal“I’ve been using Faces Magneteyes Kajal for a while now, and I love it! It’s not only long-lasting, but extremely smooth to apply as well. It easily stays on from morning to early evening without smudging or fading away. I rarely find the urge to reapply it again (if you’ve noticed, my lipstick has faded away, but not my kajal). I also am a huge fan of the bright red packaging and I like how sleek and portable the product is. I’ve tried out different kajals in the past, but none of them have made my eyes pop like this before. It’s a product I would recommend and is surely a steal for the price.” - Sharon Alphonso, Lifestyle & Beauty WriterPrice: Rs 175. Buy it here.
8. Priyanka Ghura tried the Sephora Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil“Being a major Maybelline Colossal Kajal enthusiast - I’ve been using it for years and years. I bought this on an impulse during a recent trip to Sephora and decided to shake up my kajal routine. This retractable pencil turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. It’s so creamy and glides on super smoothly, giving a very pigmented, dark line that won’t budge all day long. It also has a smudger brush on the other side, which is great when you want to achieve a slight smokey effect quickly. It has great staying power, you can be sure your kajal will stay intact even on a long, hot, humid day. I really like the super black drama it brings to my eyes and it’s quickly become a daily wear essential. It may seem a bit pricey for a kajal but I love the fact that it doubles up as an eyeliner too. Oh and it’s great for drawing those flicks and wings too!” - Priyanka Ghura, Beauty EditorPrice: Rs 1,204. Buy at any Sephora outlet.
9. Sakshi tried MAC Smolder Kohl Pencil
“I have been using MAC Smolder from approximately 2 months. Clearly I had my research on for a good period of time just before i decided to switch. So, here’s what I feel… yes it’s definitely what I was looking for. I am not the kind of a person who would grab on her makeup kitty and keep on it for all time perfect look. This kohl by MAC is surely the black that I prefer. It stays on for longer time (AT LEAST at work) and doesn’t wash off as it is waterproof. The only problem I see in it is that, it is not as smudge-free as I had expected it to be. Yet I find it pretty convenient for the kind of requirement and usage a lazy girl like me would have.” - Sakshi Jain
, SEO WriterPrice: Rs 1550. Buy it here.
10. Monica tried NYX Professional Makeup Jumbo Eye Pencil
“This is a pretty good product in my opinion and I love using it! This eye pencil haven’t irritated my eyes in any way. I rarely use it as a liner.I mainly use Black Bean when creating dark dramatic looks as an eyeshadow base. Trust my word, this is the best kajal to create smokey eyes. If I am going for something super dark I’ll put a little of this product over my entire lid and then blend out and layer it with my dark shadows.” Monica Das
, SEO AnalystPrice: Rs 959. Buy it here.