We all have moments, days, and even months when nothing seems to go right and we feel not-so-great about ourselves. It’s perfectly normal to feel like your life isn’t going as planned, or as fabulous as other people you know (yeah, blame it on Facebook updates). Well, it’s all the small things that make a difference, so hold your chin up and read this list to remind yourself that things aren’t as bad as you think, and you really are succeeding at life, even if it doesn’t feel anything like it right now.
1. You have a couple of really close friends you know you can trust with your life.
It’s not about the quantity, but having people around you who really love you, care about you, and provide a strong support system.
2. You don’t regret anything.
You know that the failures and setbacks have helped you grow, learn, and put you on the path you are now.
3. It doesn’t matter if the chachi next door really judges you for having a boyfriend…
You have parents who absolutely love you.
4. You have high standards for yourself.
Even if you are far from them, you have dreams for yourself when it comes to your career and the type of man you want to marry, which means that you won’t settle for just anything or anyone.
5. You manage to pay your bills every month, even if you can’t save up for an exotic vacay like your cousins
You’re completely self-dependent.
6. There isn’t as much drama in your relationships as before.
Gone are the days of all those group politics and controversies. That’s because you’ve surrounded yourself with the people you trust - you are a mature individual now, and have moved beyond all that unnecessary drama.
7. You love and respect yourself.
Which means you won’t settle for anything less in your relationships.
8. You don’t care so much about what others think.
You’ve realized that you can’t please all your maamis, maasis, chachis, society ke aunties and mummy’s kitty party friends. As long as you make yourself happy, that’s all that matters.
9. It’s ok that you aren’t earning as much as your MBA friends.
You love your job, you’re good at it, and your boss adores you.
10. You have a wardrobe where you don’t have to repeat clothes for at least 3 weeks.
It may not be a closet full of couture, but you have clothes that make you feel good and work for a number of occasions, even if you have to look up tutorials on Youtube on how to wear a sari.
11. You’re self-critical.
Ok, it doesn’t sound like a good thing and you may feel miserable at times, but it means that you’re constantly pushing yourself to explore bigger and better things.
12. You’ve let go of things/people that don’t make you feel good.
You don’t need to surround yourself with things that don’t make you happy and people who drag you down.
13. There are times when you feel good when you look in the mirror.
You’ve accepted your body type and know what you look good in.
14. You don’t lose the faith.
So what if you studied psychology, spent a few years confused about what you actually wanted to do, and ended up a writer? You got your life on track eventually and are happy doing what you do because you had faith in yourself.
15. You make somebody happy.
Whether it’s your parents, bestie or partner- there is someone who smiles because of you.
16. You do something that you enjoy.
Even if it is lazing on the couch watching Romedy Now, or catching up with friends over drinks, what you choose to do always makes you happy.
Accept that there are certain things and people in life that you can’t change, and you may not have a fancy house or your dream car, but you can learn to be happy with what you have. That’s the only thing you need to be succeeding at in life!