UK Study Finds That Women Are Better Drivers Than Men | POPxo

It's Time To Kill The Sexist Jokes: Women Are Better Drivers Than Men, Finds Study

It's Time To Kill The Sexist Jokes: Women Are Better Drivers Than Men, Finds Study

When it comes to sexist jokes, 'women are bad drivers' just takes the cake. If I could get a rupee every time a man made a joke about 'feeling unsafe' while sitting in the passenger seat when I drive, I'd be a crorepati by now. But guess what? Statistics trump patriarchy! Over the years, numerous studies have pointed to the fact that women, not men, are actually better drivers. But, to prove our point further, a recent study by Confused.com further validated our view. Buckle up (see what we did there?), because we're about to hit you with some facts.

Giphy
Giphy

According to the study, which examined the patterns of male and female drivers in the European Union, women are more likely to fail their driving test when they first sit for one--but it gets better after that. And once they pass the test, turns out they are more responsible while driving than their male counterparts.

The study found that of the 5,39,000 people who were convicted for breaking the law in England and Wales, only 21% of them were females while 79% were males. That's a whopping 4:1 ratio!

Giphy
Giphy

Another angle the study took was to look at the number of car insurance claims. After all, you wouldn't claim insurance if you didn't bust up your car. They found out that over 1.4 million car insurance claims were made in 2018. Out of the drivers who made the claim--only 33% were women while the remaining 67% were male drivers--which means that men are twice as likely to claim insurance when compared to women.

Giphy
Giphy

Now let's look at safety while driving. Another study, which was conducted in Ireland by its4women.ie, found that when it came to things like accelerating, taking corners and hard braking, women were much safer than men. Of the men and women surveyed, 69% of men were guilty of over accelerating, while in women the figure was 62%. In fact, women were also less likely to brake harshly.

Giphy
Giphy

So there you have it...the next time a man makes another 'women are bad drivers' joke, whip up this article and burn them with the cold, hard facts!

Image Source: Shutterstock

POPxo is now available in six languages: EnglishHindiTamilTeluguMarathiand Bangla.

Introducing #POPxoEverydayBeauty - POPxo Shop's collection of skin, bath & body, and hair products that are fun, effective and 100% fuss-free. To celebrate, we’re giving everyone 25% off on pre-orders so head to POPxo.com/beautyshop and take your beauty routine up a POP!