Raj Kapoor was often referred to as 'The greatest showman of Hindi cinema’ and for good reason. By the young age of 24, he was well-renowned. Everyone who is a fan, says that he had a persona about himself that you just couldn't get enough of. But as they say - behind every successful man, there is a woman. Today we're bringing you the facts about Raj Kapoor and his wife Krishna Kapoor, that you might not know about.
1. Raj Kapoor married her at the age of 22. When you know you know, I guess!
2. It was an arranged marriage fixed by the parents who wanted a traditional girl as the bahu of the Kapoor household.
3. Raj Kapoor and Krishna Kapoor were cousins. Yes! *straight face* Her father was the maternal cousin of Prithviraj Kapoor, Raj Kapoor’s father.
Image Source: Day After India
4. Raj Kapoor was linked with many women during his life as a movie star. First being Nargis who he shot 16 films with. Though none of them ever admitted their relationship, Rishi Kapoor in his autobiography wrote, "He was also a man in love – at the time, unfortunately, with someone other than my mother. His girlfriend was the leading lady of some of his biggest hits of the time, including Aag (1948), Barsaat (1949) and Awara (1951)."
5. He also allegedly had an extramarital affair with actress Vyjayanthimala. During this time, Krishna was so upset that she even moved out of the house with their children into another apartment and refused to come back until he ended that chapter of his life.
6. Raj Kapoor's famous obsession with women clad in white can also be traced back to his wife. "He had gone to see her as a prospective bride along with Premnath uncle. There from the window, he saw a young girl in a white saree with mogras (jasmine) in her hair, playing the sitar. That was my mother Krishna taking music lessons. Being an artist, he reacted to the visual. He was reminded of Goddess Saraswati. The image of the ‘lady in white’ stayed in his mind and was later seen in his films. My mother always wore white and had a flower in her hair," Rima Jain, their youngest daughter told a leading daily.
7. All the children say that despite all his love-affairs, his love for her was never-ending. He always came back home to Krishna.
8. To show his devotion to his wife he would even press her legs, Rishi Kapoor in his autobiography also wrote that his dad would joke, saying, "Raj Kapoor ka kya haal bana diya! Meri biwi mujhe pair dabane lagaa rahi hai. Ghar ki murgi dal barabar!"
Image Source: IBTimes India
Sadly, Krishna Kapoor breathed her last at the age of 87 on the 1st of October. We're sending our condolences to the family. May she rest in peace.
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST.