Manmarziyaan is a twisted love story that brings out different shades of romance and relationship between three people. Directed by Anurag Kashyap, this film was different than any of the movies he has made and I was shocked. No head bashing, no gunshots and even hockey sticks are wielded rather than being an actual weapon.
The film is set in Punjab and follows two lovers, Rumi and Vicky played by Taapsee Pannu and Vicky Kaushal. After sneakily making out and sleeping with each other, Rumi’s family finds out about them and proposes that she gets married, but arranged by her family. Enters Robbie, played by Abhishek Bachchan, an NRI who is looking for a life partner and ends up falling for Rumi. The first half of the movie is super fun, packed with head-bobbing Punjabi and Hindi remix songs.
After the interval, it becomes a long-twisted love triangle, which felt like a never-ending drama. But, enough with the description, here are the exact thoughts that ran through my head while I watched Manmarziyaan.
Watch out for the spoiler ahead!
1. Vicky Kaushal has blue hair, fuck! Wait, a mohawk too :O
2. The movie just started and there’s a song already!
3. Vicky smokes and Rumi eats Munch and they both kiss, what?
4. Why is Vicky jumping from one terrace to another? Please don’t fall.
5. Oh, he’s going to see Rumi.
6. Oh no, Vicky - Rumi get caught while making out. Oops.
7. Vicky Kaushal beat boxes? That is news.
8. This movie had too many surprises in the first five minutes. What’s gonna happen in the next two hours, I can only imagine!
9. Oh, great they’re making out again!
10. Rumi’s mother is so aggressive.
11. Vicky’s name is Vicky in the movie. Haha, no brains there.
12. Why’s Vicky’s studio room so neon?
13. Wait, is he a rapper?
14. I guess Rumi takes after her mother on her aggressiveness.
15. Rumi wants to marry Vicky.
16. Is Vicky confused?
17. Rumi agrees for an arranged marriage instead.
18. Enters Robbie (Abhishek Bachchan)!
19. Deja Vu! Didn’t Abhishek Bachchan play the exact same role of an NRI looking for a bride in Main Prem Ki Diwani Hu?
21. Vicky reminds me of Raj from Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.
22. Dang! Vicky is hot!
23. I need Vicky’s open jeep.
23. Their first fight as a couple. This gotta be intense.
24. Ah, never mind Vicky cracks a joke in the middle of the fight.
25. Awww, Vicky’s so romantic! Totally irresponsible but romantic.
26. Post-fight sex is so hot!
27. Rumi dances at a random wedding. Oh, Robbie is here. I see what’s happening.
28. Samosas, jalebis, turban tying, Rumi putting on her best attire. Ladke wale arahe hai kya?
29. Vicky's gharwale don’t show up :( Poor Rumi.
30. Call in the other rishta, says Rumi. Girl, calm down!
31. Robbie and family show up at Rumi’s house the next day. Wow, that was quick.
32. Robbie and Rumi are bonding!
33. Oh shit, Robbie's brother takes out the gun! OK now, I feel like I’m in a Anurag Kashyap movie.
34. Vicky still hasn’t made up his mind! Wake up, you idiot before it’s too late.
35. Omg! She’s getting married to the wrong guy!
36. Marrying someone you don’t love, loving someone you can’t marry. I hate life!
37. Rumi and Robbie go on a honeymoon to Kashmir. I'm sitting in Delhi thinking, "Take me with you!"
38. Robbie adds Rumi on Facebook after their first night. Wow.
39. Robbie's brother is hilarious. He’s the best character in the movie so far.
40. Getting to know each other when you’re married. Now isn’t that a love story in itself?
41. Shit! What would she do this to Robbie? What is this Gossip girl 2.0?
42. Why does Rumi always go for a run every time she’s upset?
43. Robbie, who told you to marry a girl in two days?
44. This 'love me, love me not' game is giving me a headache! Can someone please skip to the end already?
45. Is Tinder sponsoring this movie?
46. Oh, finally Robbie is telling her the truth!
47. Lord finally! These two finally like each other!
48. Facebook must be a sponsor too.
49. Karli Manmarziyaan?
50. Let's get outta here!
The movie was a fun ride but it dragged a bit at the end. I rate it: 3.5/5
Image Credits: YouTube, Facebook
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST.