Manmarziyaan is a twisted love story that brings out different shades of romance and relationship between three people. Directed by Anurag Kashyap, this film was different than any of the movies he has made and I was shocked. No head bashing, no gunshots and even hockey sticks are wielded rather than being an actual weapon.
Subscribe to POPxoTV
The film is set in Punjab and follows two lovers, Rumi and Vicky played by Taapsee Pannu and Vicky Kaushal. After sneakily making out and sleeping with each other, Rumi’s family finds out about them and proposes that she gets married, but arranged by her family. Enters Robbie, played by Abhishek Bachchan, an NRI who is looking for a life partner and ends up falling for Rumi. The first half of the movie is super fun, packed with head-bobbing Punjabi and Hindi remix songs.
After the interval, it becomes a long-twisted love triangle, which felt like a never-ending drama. But, enough with the description, here are the exact thoughts that ran through my head while I watched Manmarziyaan.
Watch out for the spoiler ahead!
1. Vicky Kaushal has blue hair, fuck! Wait, a mohawk too :O
2. The movie just started and there’s a song already!
3. Vicky smokes and Rumi eats Munch and they both kiss, what?
4. Why is Vicky jumping from one terrace to another? Please don’t fall.
5. Oh, he’s going to see Rumi.
6. Oh no, Vicky - Rumi get caught while making out. Oops.
7. Vicky Kaushal beat boxes? That is news.
8. This movie had too many surprises in the first five minutes. What’s gonna happen in the next two hours, I can only imagine!
9. Oh, great they’re making out again!
10. Rumi’s mother is so aggressive.
11. Vicky’s name is Vicky in the movie. Haha, no brains there.
12. Why’s Vicky’s studio room so neon?
13. Wait, is he a rapper?
14. I guess Rumi takes after her mother on her aggressiveness.
15. Rumi wants to marry Vicky.
16. Is Vicky confused?
17. Rumi agrees for an arranged marriage instead.
18. Enters Robbie (Abhishek Bachchan)!
19. Deja Vu! Didn’t Abhishek Bachchan play the exact same role of an NRI looking for a bride in Main Prem Ki Diwani Hu?