"It is a brand new year. It is 2020 and I want to start this year off with the truth- by finally revealing a part of my life that has made me who I am," said 25-year-old Nikkie de Jager, popular beauty YouTuber as she courageously made a big revelation. The video titled, I'm Coming Out, broke the Internet across the globe with over 14M views in just a few hours, inspiring millions to feel comfortable being themselves (more on this later).
Let's first get to know Nikkie. Born on born on March 2, 1994, she is a 25-year old make-up artist who is more commonly known by her screen name, NikkieTutorials. She started posting makeup tutorials back in 2008, when she was just 13-years-old. One of the most beloved beauty influencers in the world, she has over 12.4 million subscribers on her Youtube channel.
One of her make-up transformation videos went viral and for all the right reasons, in 2015. Take a look at the video here:
In the 17-minute long video, you can hear Nikkie being candid and making the big revelation. "Yes, I am transgender. But at the end of the day I am me," she said.
Watch the video below:
Here are the most inspiring things that she has said in her video, lending courage to many to believe in themselves.
1. Talking about how everyone is labeled on planet Earth, she expressed her desire to be truly free. "It's time to let go and be truly free," she says.
2. "I want to inspire little Nikkies around the world who feel insecure, who feel out of place, who feel misunderstood -- I hope by me standing up, and being free, that it inspires others to do the same -- to truly live your life like you wanted and the way you deserve."
3. "It is 2020; it's time for us to understand, accept, hear, and respect (everyone)."
4. "The time for you to love yourself and respect yourself...is now."
5. "I am NikkieTutorials, and I am Nikkie. I am me. We don't need labels."
Here's what her fans are saying. Celebrities also left supportive comments on her social media post.
At a time when majority of people across the globe refrain from coming out, Nikkie's revelation comes as a breath of fresh air for many to be able to seek inspiration from. This reminds me of Ayushmann Khurrana's movie Bala and a question that the actor kept reiterating in it- 'Badalna kyun hai?'
Featured Image: Instagram
Start your 2020 right with our cool new planners and statement-making sweatshirts that are fun, fab and 100% you! Psst... there's an additional 20% off too, so head to POPxo.com/shop and take it up a POP!