Ending years of speculations, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra finally took a plunge into active politics with her recent appointment as the Congress General Secretary in-charge of Uttar Pradesh (East).
Initially, Priyanka was known to manage and formalise election strategies for her mother and United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi in Rae Bareli, and brother and Congress President Rahul Gandhi in Amethi. Born on January 12, 1972, to Rajiv and Sonia Gandhi, she always had an active role in political decision-making, though now, she has a formal title to go with her role.
Apart from being considered as a good orator and a crowd puller, she is also praised for her charismatic personality and sense of style. We've collected 10 facts that will help you get to know her better.
1. She is often compared to her grandmother, Indira Gandhi, for bearing an uncanny, striking resemblance, especially when she's seen draped in similar cotton sarees (often, in those which belong to her grandmother) and a fuss-free bob haircut.
2. She studied in Modern School and Convent of Jesus and Mary and has a degree in Psychology from the University of Delhi.
3. She pursued her Masters in Buddhist Studies and continues to be an ardent follower of Buddhism.
4. After her grandmother's assassination, she was made to drop her studies and home-schooled for a while.
5. She is known to be her brother Rahul's best friend, his closest confidante and political advisor, a role she often played behind the scenes.
6. In 2008, she created a media frenzy following a secret meeting with Nalini Sriharan, a suicide bomber who assassinated Priyanka's father and former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, at the prison. She declared that meeting him was her 'way of coming to peace with the violence and loss' that she experienced.
7. She delivered her first public speech when she was 16 years old.
8. She, once, confessed that she was troubled by the fact that she didn't know how to make up her mind and went for a 10-day Vipassana meditation to get a deeper insight into her mind.
9. She is married to her childhood love, Robert Vadra, who is a businessman from Delhi. Their wedding took place at the residence of the Gandhi family at Janpath on February 18, 1997.
10. Her children describe her as a strict, yet loving, mother who enjoys cooking for them.
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST. Online shopping for women never looked better!