When I think about dirty makeup, the first thing that comes into my mind is makeup tools. Stuff like makeup brushes and beauty sponges are commonly known to be a hotspot for bacteria. But you might end up throwing all of your makeup once you find out what all might be living inside those products of yours!
We all know that harmful bacteria and germs start to build up on used beauty tools and hence you should wash them at least once a week. If you're using a beauty sponge, you should wash it every time you use it! But wait, this is about to get very interesting.
We stumbled upon a study, conducted by a group of scientists from Aston University, Birmingham. They searched and looked for microbes and germs in more than 450 donated makeup products, such as lip gloss, lipsticks, beauty sponges, eyeliners, and mascaras. The results of this study are definitely going to shock you.
- A large percentage of the makeup had detectable levels of bacteria in them, E.coli. It is usually harmless but can cause diarrhoea, unitary tract infections, and pneumonia, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Another type of bacteria that they found is Staphylococcus aureus. It causes wound infections and sometimes blood poisoning.
- Our fave, beauty blenders were found to be the worst offenders as more than 26% of them had “faecal matter present on them”.
- While not all bacteria are harmful but makeup enthusiasts are still putting themselves at risk every day while using dirty makeup sponges because they are using the tool on their ace, near their eyes and mouth. And if you have an allergy or a cut of some kind, you might be setting yourself up for infection.
- Anyone who has terrible allergies, a weak immune system must keep your makeup tools clean as you are the most vulnerable.
- Sanitize your makeup products regularly. Throw your makeup products if they are way past their expiry dates.
We bet you didn't see this coming!
Featured Image: Pexels
Learn a whole new set of skills without stepping out of your home. Join our talented set of hosts on #POPxoLive and you're all set. Download the POPxo App and get ready to take it up a pop!