If you ask me, Priyadarshan’s Bhool Bhulaiyaa should be considered a cult classic. While it released in 2007, it was quite ahead of its time. The movie blurred the line between the genres of horror and psychological thriller and gave us one of the most chilling characters of all time—Manjulika. The script also had a great sense of comedy because it was subtle and smart. As you can tell, I’m a big fan of the franchise, so obviously, it was a huge deal for me when Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 was announced. I had great expectations from Anees Bazmee’s horror-comedy, but sadly, none of them was fulfilled.
While Kartik Aaryan and Kiara Advani starrer Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 is performing quite well at the box office, it’s quite a forgettable movie. Here are the 20 thoughts I had while watching the film:
The movie starts with Kiara Advani, who plays the character of Reet, leaving for her hometown after completing her medical degree. She meets Kartik Aaryan, who plays the character of Ruhaan, at the bus stop and then, the chaos begins. Here are the things that crossed my mind while watching the movie:
1. Kartik and Kiara have just met and they are already flirting like teenagers. Umm…it’s cute TBH. I like their chemistry.
2. Wait, Kiara is supposed to marry someone she doesn’t like because her dad says so? Are we still promoting this age-old storyline? Okay.
3. Does this movie have a script or am I watching a meme? Kiara is coming up with senseless plans and Kartik is following them blindly. Why? Logic kahan hai?
4. Kartik, Kiara and her family are now living in the house that’s believed to be haunted by the spirit of Manjulika. Is it bravery or is it stupidity? I’m calling it a mojboori of not having a well-thought storyline.
5. Oh, thank god, Tabu is here. They think that she’s the bhabhi sa in the film, but I know that she’s the only saving grace in the movie.
6. Aadhi picture nikal gayi, where is the thrill? Where is the chill? Where is the plot?
7. Oh, wow look, a kid’s weight is the peg of Kartik’s joke. Bollywood and their undying love for body-shaming…classic.
8. They said it’s a horror-comedy, but the comedy is horrible and the horror is comedic. It’s a trap.
9. Sorry Kiara, but Vidya Balan as Manjulika was legendary. Nothing comes close to that.
10. Why are they doing contemporary in the name of classical dance? Is that bhoot-dance? NGL, the ghost community will be so offended RN.
11. Is that Kartik? Or is that Akshay Kumar 2.0? Do your own shiz boy, stop trying to copy someone else so blatantly.
12. Finally, it’s an interval. And finally, Manjulika is here. Things might get better now.
13. Nope, it’s only getting worse.
14. They have remixed the most popular songs of Bhool Bhulaiyaa 1 and are using them as background scores in Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2. It’s tragic.
15. The suspense gets revealed, but it’s obvious that there’s more to the story. I mean, I have watched Bipasha Basu’s Alone. The makers should have too.
16. It’s a Tabu film through and through. Her screen presence is so perfect.
17. The side characters have nothing to do in the film, except deliver cringe lines in the name of comedy. It’s a shame that Sanjay Mishra, Ashwini Kalsekar and Rajpal Yadav’s talents are getting wasted so poorly.
18. Why is everyone giving dance performances suddenly? Is it a school annual fest or what?
19. OMG, Majulika is one of the spookiest characters in Bollywood, and this movie has created a mockery out of her!
20. So, that was the suspense? I need a minute to spam my face and regret my decision of buying tickets for this movie. No seriously, I need a refund.
21. In the end, it feels like the dead and the living are having a tea party together. I’ve rarely seen an ending worse than this.
22. Bollywood, don’t you dare make a part 3 of this franchise.
I had really high hopes for this film. Honestly, I now feel that tampering with a classic movie in Bollywood should be forbidden. You can watch this flick one time and forget all about it later. My only suggestion is that don’t compare it to the OG film because it will only result in disappointment.
BRB, need to watch Bhool Bhulaiyaa 1 once again ‘coz I really miss the OG Manjulika.
Featured Image: Instagram