Sandeep Reddy Vanga’s Animal was released over the weekend and led us to feel a whole range of emotions – from anger, and frustration, to disgust. While some male viewers assume that the movie was like a ‘fresh breath of air’, we women know that there’s nothing new and we all probably know men like that in our real lives.
Hence, we asked women around and they revealed some statements that state that a sexist and misogynistic character like the movie’s protagonist has been among us, and that is further reason that we need to stop glorifying such characters.
1. “A guy told me that I should learn to control my mood swings if I wanted to talk to him.” -Manya A
2. “An ex told me that I shouldn’t “cry” about period pain because it’s nothing compared to getting hit in the balls. I mean dude, what the fuck?” -Anonymous
3. “A man justified cheating on me by saying that he took that step because I wasn’t having sex with him or getting physically intimate.” -Snigdha
4. “A man once told me that periods hi toh hain. What’s a big deal! Ab tak toh aadat ho jaani chaiye thi. Har mahine hi hote hain, suck it up.” -Anonymous
5. “A senior who used to like me (not my friend or boyfriend) visited my class and literally shouted at the top of his lungs and threatened all the men that no one should talk to me on the college premises. It was so scary and fucked up.” -Aarushi S
6. “A friend pulled my bra strap in order to ‘playfully’ hurt me. It was the last time I ever talked to that man.” -Anonymous
7. “A boyfriend proudly showcased his love bites on my chest in front of his friends during a party. Well, later that night, he became my ex.” -Ishita S
8. “A man cheated on me once and upon confrontation, he stated that he knew that the girl was with him for a bet and to prove his point, he HAD to sleep with her. Guts.” -Srishti G
9. “I once had a man tell me how attractive having wide, and ‘childbearing’ hips are to men. Because, apparently almost all men want to leave a legacy behind and are constantly on the lookout for the right woman to birth to their children.” -Anonymous
10. “I met a man while looking for rishtaas and this one man said ‘shaadi mein aurat ko aadmi ka thoda darr toh hona chahiye’. I never ran so fast out of a place.” -Anonymous
These statements broke our hearts and made our blood boil, all at once.