Advertisement

Beauty

Striving For Plump & Youthful-Looking Skin? These K-Beauty Secrets Are Here To Save The Day

Ayushi VermaAyushi Verma  |  Nov 16, 2021
Striving For Plump & Youthful-Looking Skin? These K-Beauty Secrets Are Here To Save The Day

Advertisement

There’s a universal look of shock, awe, and confusion that flashes over our faces when we look at ageless K-beauties like Kim Tae-Hee, Gong Hyo-Jin, and Choi Ji-Woo. All are in their mid-to-late 40s and continue to defy the ageing process with a mystique that we can’t quite wrap our heads around.

Korean skincare and makeup is a league of its own. However, the Korean beauty culture isn’t about products at its core, but about skin-preserving methods and techniques. The payoff comes in the form of the ageless skin texture in their later years that the rest of the world has been trying to decipher ever since. The key here is to employ a holistic approach to skincare that includes consistent routine, healthy skincare habits, and proactive vigilance from an early age. As turning 30 has a way of suddenly making wrinkles pop up somewhere on our to-worry-about radar. Before you approach this imaginary-yet-important beauty deadline, we are offering six gems of K-beauty wisdom that’ll carry you into your prime years, so you can look and feel more gorgeous than ever.

These Korean Beauty Secrets That Will Help You Age Backwards

Skincare Over Makeup

While the rest of the world focuses on makeup over skincare. This means that we were often wearing makeup to bed, not washing our face thoroughly and didn’t know a thing about exfoliation. However, we’ve seen this mindset change ever since the boom of K-beauty regimen. Korean beauty principles explain the science behind double cleansing that instantly improves the skin texture as well as the importance of incorporating a hydrating toner, essence, a lightweight moisturiser and a sunscreen into skincare routine. It also includes using a pimple patch on flare-ups rather than attacking the skin with harsh ingredients.

‘Coz Prevention Is Better Than Cure

K-beauty revolves around the skin-first philosophy. This approach focuses on treating skincare concerns at the root of the cause, rather than just the symptoms. The preventive philosophy is evident from the fact that they heavily rely on anti-ageing skincare, and a precautionary approach is practised with nourishing and calming ingredients, like ginseng and mugwort, that are used in skincare routines across the board. 

It’s Never Too Early To Start Skin Education

Koreans are incredibly skin-savvy for a really young age. They are taught the importance of sunscreen beyond just layering on an SPF to include staying out of direct sunlight for a prolonged period of time if possible. Plus, they love taking the time to indulge in a multi-step skincare regimen, which they see as a delight and not a chore. 

Age Is No Bar When It Comes To Skincare

Skincare in Korea begins at an age as early as six months when you start applying SPF or wearing clothing and hats that protect you from sun exposure. It not only helps in preventing sunburns, but it also hinders sun damage that can contribute to ageing in later years. This helps promote a youthful appearance by keeping fine lines and pigmentation at bay while helping protect the skin and mitigate day-to-day oxidative damage from the Sun and other pollutants. 

Humidifiers To Keep The Skin Plump And Bouncy

Given the ever-increasing popularity of all things Korean in the beauty sphere, it can be hard to pinpoint the exact moment you became a believer. Maybe you first came across the term glass skin and felt tempted to try the 10-step skincare routine. Maybe you wanted to dip your toes into K-dramas, just to see what the hype is about but walked away with a full-blown addiction instead. Whatever’s the case. If you’ve watched K-dramas you’ll know that it isn’t uncommon to spot a humidifier puffing away at every desk. This stems from the fact that humidifiers and moisture in the air impact the health of the skin. They can help dial up the moisture in the air within your indoor space and can help the skin retain the moisture in its barrier. 

Nature Vs Nurture: What’s More Important?

In the battle between the two, Koreans believe that the latter shouldn’t be ignored. While 70% of your skin is dictated by your genetics, the remaining 30% is shaped by your lifestyle and commitment to skincare. Skincare is largely about prevention, so if you invest time and effort in taking care of your skin now, it will pay off in terms of smoother, clearer, and more bouncy skin in the future. So take delight in it, and think of skincare as part of your wellness routine.  

Get, set, glow!

Featured Image: Instagram