Thanksgiving is celebrated all over the U.S.A. and some other parts of the world like Germany and Japan as well. The day is celebrated officially on the fourth Thursday of November and symbolizes a way of expressing gratitude and saying thank you for the harvest and previous year. But, you must know that already thanks to all the Thanksgiving quotes we have read and the stories we have heard about Thanksgiving at family gatherings! However, did you know that it took several years before the day was recognized as a national holiday?
Historically, the world got to know about Thanksgiving through a journal of Plymouth, Massachusetts governor, William Bradford. In his diary, he explained how a bunch of pilgrims moved from England and tried to settle in Plymouth where they could practice their own religious beliefs. There, the Wampanoag natives taught them the art of hunting, fishing, and harvesting. As a result, in the fall of 1621, the pilgrims hosted a grand feast to honour the harvest and it marked the two cultures - Wampanoag and pilgrims - coming together for a peaceful get-together. In many Thanksgiving messages, you will find this feast mentioned as ‘The First Thanksgiving.’
Interestingly, the journal came into the possession of a magazine editor Sarah Josepha Hale. Allegedly, Sarah was so moved by the cultural significance of The First Thanksgiving that she started a campaign of turning it into a permanent American custom and institution. Hale wrote several letters to five Presidents of America and finally, lobbied Abraham Lincoln to declare the day as a national holiday in 1863. Today, you might know Sarah Joseph Hale as the ‘Mother of Thanksgiving.’
This universe has provided you with so much to be thankful for. Here are Thanksgiving quotes that will always remind you of how blessed you are.
Our almighty has done and still does a lot for us every day, every second. These verses and thanksgiving quotes from the Bible will help you express your gratitude to the supreme for making us a part of this cosmic world.
1. Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
2. James 1:17
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
3. Colossians 3:15
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
4. Hebrews 13:15
Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name.
5. 2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.
6. Lamentations 3:23
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
7. Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
8. 1 Chronicles 16:8
Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples!
9. Colossians 3:17
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
10. Psalm 103:2
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits
11. 1 Chronicles 16:34
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!
12. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
The best way to get into the festive mode is by starting to feel grateful for the presence of your close and loved ones in your life. They are the ones to support you in your lows and highs, make you feel loved always, and be there for you when no one else is. This is the time to tell them how blessed and thankful you are to each and every one of them. Here are 12 Thanksgiving quotes for friends and family that will remind you how lucky you are to have them in your life.
1. “For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.” - Ellie Wiesel
2. "Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other." - Randy Pausch
3. "Give thanks not just on Thanksgiving Day, but every day of your life. Appreciate and never take for granted all that you have." - Catherine Pulsifer
4. "Drink and be thankful to the host! What seems insignificant when you have it, is important when you need it." - Frank Grillparzer
5. "We must find the time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives." - John F. Kennedy
6. "I love Thanksgiving because it's a holiday that is centred around food and family." - Marcus Samuelsson
7. “I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual.” - Henry David Thoreau
8. "Thanksgiving is a time of togetherness and gratitude." -Nigel Hamilton
9. "Forever on Thanksgiving Day the heart will find the pathway home." - Wilbur D. Nesbit
10. "Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance." - Eckhart Tolle
11. "After a good dinner, one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations." - Oscar Wilde
12. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." - Marcel Proust
What is a better way of celebrating a festival other than sharing its joy with your friends and family? Especially if it is thanksgiving, you are bound to express your gratitude for every soul that has been or still is a part of your journey as they all were sent for a purpose by the universe. These meaningful Thanksgiving messages are just the right Thanksgiving wishes to send out to your loved ones on this auspicious day.
1. “Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds.” – Theodore Roosevelt
2. “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
3. “On Thanksgiving Day we acknowledge our dependence.” – William Jennings Bryan
4. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” - John F. Kennedy
5. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” - Oprah Winfrey
6. “Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” - Charles Dickens
7. “Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.” - Henry Van Dyke
8. “Thanksgiving Day is a good day to recommit our energies to giving thanks and just giving.” - Amy Grant
9. “Stand up, on this Thanksgiving Day, stand upon your feet. Believe in man. Soberly and with clear eyes, believe in your own time and place. There is not, and there never has been a better time, or a better place to live in.” - Phillips Brooks
10. “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” - W.T. Purkiser
11. “Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow.” - Edward Sandford Martin
12. "We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures." - Thornton Wilder
13. “To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.” - Johannes A. Gaertner
14. "Give thanks for a little, and you will find a lot." - Hausa Proverb
15. "He who thanks but with the lips thanks but in part; the full, the true Thanksgiving comes from the heart." - J.A. Shedd
16. "Thanksgiving is one of my favourite days of the year because it reminds us to give thanks and to count our blessings. Suddenly, so many things become so little when we realize how blessed and lucky we are." - Joyce Giraud
17. "An attitude of gratitude brings great things.” - Yogi Bhajan
18. "Be present in all things and thankful for all." - Maya Angelou
19. “Thanksgiving is a joyous invitation to shower the world with love and gratitude.” - Amy Leigh Mercree
20. “The more you practice the art of thankfulness, the more you have to be thankful for.” - Norman Vincent Peale
21. “The thankful heart opens our eyes to a multitude of blessings that continually surround us.” - James E. Faust
22. “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” - Maya Angelou
23. “A moment of gratitude makes a difference in your attitude.” - Bruce Wilkinson
24. “It is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful.” - David Steindlrast
25. “Be thankful for what you have. Your life is someone else’s fairy tale.” - Wale Ayeni
Time waits for none but what we do with the time given to us, makes all the difference. You can get a flash of all the memories you have created in your life so far in just a few seconds. So, it is very important to pause and thank the universe, God, and everything that you believe in, for giving you so much. These famous Thanksgiving quotes will remind you just how lucky you are all over again. These Thanksgiving quotes can truly make you halt and feel grateful for all that you have in your life. Keep these Thanksgiving wishes in your mind and you will be bestowed with more blessings by the universe, always!
1. “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.” - Melody Beattie
2. “Remember God’s bounty in the year. String the pearls of His favour. Hide the dark parts, except so far as they are breaking out in light! Give this one day to thanks, to joy, to gratitude!” - Henry Ward Beecher
3. “Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude.” - E.P. Powell
4. “Thanksgiving is the holiday of peace, the celebration of work and the simple life… a true folk-festival that speaks the poetry of the turn of the seasons, the beauty of seedtime and harvest, the ripe product of the year — and the deep, deep connection of all these things with God.” - Ray Stannard Baker
5. “The more we express thanks, the more gratitude we feel. The more gratitude we feel, the more we express thanks. It’s circular, and it leads to a happier life.” - Steve Goodier
6. “Thanksgiving reminds us that no matter what befalls us in life, we can take the charred remnants and we can reconstruct a life unimaginably richer than that from which the shards and pieces fell.” - Craig D. Lounsbrough
7. “Although Thanksgiving comes but once a year, every day should be a day of Thanks. Among all the challenges that we face as people with hearing loss there are certainly brighter moments in everyday – moments that deserve to be recorded in our Gratitude Journal.” - Monique Hammond
8. “You shouldn’t just give during Christmas and Thanksgiving you should be giving all the time.” - Alcurtis Turner
9. “A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues.” - Cicero
10. “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” - Gerald Good
11. “If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” - W. Clement Stone
12. “The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.” - William Blake
13. “Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action.” - W.J. Cameron
14. “And though I ebb in worth, I’ll flow in thanks.” - John Taylor
15. “Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” - Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
Aren’t these quotes on Thanksgiving and gratitude truly beautiful and inspiring? By wishing your loved on such festive occasions, you truly bring a smile to their faces. Just like these Thanksgiving wishes can make you and your close ones very happy, there are more such greetings and quotes for other occasions that you’d love to read and pass on to your family. Have a look!
Diwali Wishes For 2020 Take a look at these perfect wishes for Diwali that you can forward to your friends and family.
Christmas Greetings & Quotes These Christmas greetings and quotes are perfect to instantly get you in festive vibes!
Birthday Wishes For Loved Ones Ditch your regular and boring birthday wishes and check out these beautiful and quirky birthday wishes that’ll never get old!
Wedding Wishes For Friend If your friends are getting hitched then these are just the right wishes to congratulate them!
Wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving 2020!
Featured Image: Unsplash