There are always two camps when it comes to hair removal- those who are extremely confident about their natural beauty and own their body and facial hair like a boss and those who are a little self-conscious of it and like clean skin. It's okay to be either- you do you, boo!
For people who do like getting rid of their unwanted hair, the most common way of doing it is waxing and threading. While they work well, might we suggest that you try shaving while you're at it? Even though salons are now open, it's a risk venturing into them so for a quick and easy at-home fix, shaving works really well.
We've all heard versions of your hair will grow back thicker, it'll ruin your skin, women don't raze their face but none of this is true. Did you know that gorgeous divas like Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, and Cleopatra all would shave their faces? Here are some benefits of doing so:
1. Removes unwanted hair: Well, this one seems pretty obvious but it effectively removes unwanted hair from your sideburns, upper lip, eyebrows, and forehead.
2. It is pain-free: Okay, threading and waxing are great but boy, do they hurt! Shaving is relatively pain-free and gets the job done.
3. It's quicker: You don't need to head to the salon or book an appointment. Just step into your bathroom and get shaving.
4. Makeup is easier to apply: Even if you can't see it, there is some peach fuzz on your skin, this is the superfine lightly coloured hair. Shaving your face gets rid of all this so makeup application can be done on a smooth surface.
5. You get visibly clearer skin: In addition to hair removal, shaving your face can also help you get rid of dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. This makes it harder for dead skin cells to buildup and cause breakouts. Hence it's an effective exfoliating technique to add to your beauty routine.
6. Skincare products are more effective: Thanks to the exfoliating benefits of shaving, skincare products permeate deeper into the skin. So all those Vitamins and antioxidants that your products are laden with, your skin will have a better chance of reaping their benefits.
Having a clean face before shaving your face is an extremely important step. Cleanse with a gentle cleanser to remove all the impurities so that you're rid of all the dirt and debris. Use a razor that's only for your face since there can be different bacteria on your body that you don't want anywhere near your face.
While shaving does have many benefits, if you have active skin conditions like acne, shaving could irritate your skin. So, a check-up with your dermatologist before moving forward with this would be helpful. Another thing to note is that your skin could be extra sensitive after shaving so avoid using potent ingredients like retinol, AHAs, and BHAs for at least 48 hours after. Instead, moisturise your skin well with hyaluronic acid, moisturizer, and protecting it with SPF is a must.
All set to free the fuzz?
Featured Image: Unsplash