Coco Chanel once said, "A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life" and we cannot STAN this quote enough. A drastic hairdo changes your outlook to life in general. Imagine getting a haircut AND colouring your hair at the same time... new me, who dis?!
Getting your hair coloured is such an empowering move, don't you agree? But since we all are under lockdown, we're lucky if we can get hold of a few beauty supplies.
If you are thinking about colouring your hair at home, here's what you need to keep in mind before you take the plunge.
Firstly, decide what kind of hair colour do you wish to go for- temporary or permanent?
If you're looking for a temporary hair colour, just to see if it'll suit you or not, then these options are just for you:
Dying your hair using a temporary way is a hassle-free way to add colour to your mane. They come in an array of varieties such as dyes, sprays, and even styling wax. All you need to do is apply the product on your hair directly, leave it for 15-30 minutes (depends on the type of product) and wash it using only water. The entire process hardly takes up an hour and the colour fades away after a few washes.
Most of the dyes available in the market require you to lighten your hair beforehand and apply the colour on your hair directly.
If you ever wondered how celebs like Kylie Jenner, Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj or even Ariana Grande go from one hair colour to another overnight - the answer is wigs or hair extensions! Stars love to change their look often and the easiest way is to don a colourful wig! It not only saves the hair from rigid bleaching process but also helps protect your natural hair.
You can either wear a wig over your hair for an instant change or clip on some extensions to add more volume to your hair or make them look super long and fabulous!
Nope, we aren't joking. You can use your eyeshadow to add colour to your locks and it's as easy-peasy!
All you need to do is:
Step 1: Comb out a hair strand you wish to colour.
Step 2: Pick out any eyeshadow pot and simply rub it on your strand, back and forth
(Note: If possible, use a single eyeshadow pan as it is easier to use or crush the eyeshadow into a fine powder in a bowl, add a few drops of water to turn in into a 'dye' and happy it on your strand using a toothbrush or your hands)
Step 3: Seal your lock with a hairspray and you're ready to show it off to your #InstaFam ❤️
If you're looking for more permanent solutions to change your mane, you have two options.
1. Bleach your hair(to neutralize your existing hair colour) and then apply your desired hair colour
2. Directly apply box colour to your natural hair shade
Most of us are brunettes (have dark hair) and if you're looking for a massive change then you would need to lighten your hair beforehand. For that, you need to bleach your hair.
Remember, you don't HAVE to bleach your hair. You can always just apply colour to your normal hair, just don't expect a massive change. The colour will still show up even if you don't bleach your hair, it just won't be very rich and vibrant. A subtle change is what you'll get.
If you decide to bleach your hair, here's what you need to keep in mind:
- Create a checklist to make sure you have all the supplies you require for bleaching your hair at home.
- Get a hold of the supplies such as hair bleaching agents such as bleaching powder and creme developer, plastic gloves, hair clips, sulphate free shampoo & conditioner, shower cap and a hairbrush.
Let's get it started, shall we?
- Put on an old tee that you do not mind getting dirty, wear your gloves and let's start beaching.
- Mix the bleaching agents in a bowl, exactly how the label instructs to make your bleach. Before applying it all over your hair, do an allergy test on one of your strands.
- If all goes well, apply the bleach to every part where to wish to lighten your hair. Begin by applying the bleach using a brush and use the pointy end of the hairbrush to separate your hair strands and avoid applying it on the scalp.
- Once done, wear a shower cap to avoid getting any bleach on your skin. Keep it for not more than 20 minutes and then wash off using cold water.
- Since you're doing this at home, try not bleaching your entire hair at once. Focus on major chunks at one sitting and take your time.
- If you want highlights and not global hair colour, section out your hair strands and bleach only those.
Once your hair is prepped, simply apply the hair dye. Now, there are a lot of hair colours that come with their own set of rules. Either get a hair colouring kit that has all the required products in it or just a regular hair dye but make sure you do read the instructions mentioned on the label. The amount of product you need depends on the length of your hair. If you have short to medium length hair, one box should do just fine. If you have longer hair, make sure you get at least two kits, just to be sure.
Now, let's begin colouring:
- First things first, get hold of everything you need- a bowl, plastic gloves, at least two boxes of hair dye, a mixing bowl and a hairbrush
- After you've decided what shade to colour your hair, empty out the content in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Wear an old tee so that you do not stain your skin. Apply some hair conditioner on your forehead, ears, neck and back if you do not have a steady hand.
- As instructed on the box, apply the colour on your hair and keep it for the recommended amount of time.
- Once you've applied the dye, wash it off using cold water as it helps the colour sink in deeper into the strands.
- To maintain your hair after colouring, use only sulfate-free hair products to ensure your hair colour stays fresh for longer. Keep your hair away from any damage by regularly using hair masks and even hair spas at home.
If you're unsure about a particular product, the best way is to watch YouTube videos on how to use your desired product. We're sure you can multiple videos on YouTube plus so many comments by people sharing their experiences and they really help.
Is colouring your hair the new 'banana bread'? We think so!
Featured Image: Freepik
Learn a whole new set of skills without stepping out of your home. Join our talented set of hosts on #POPxoLive and you're all set. Download the POPxo App and get ready to take it up a pop!