World Environment Day was started by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 to mark the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. Another resolution on the very same day by the General Assembly led to the creation of the UNEP i.e. United Nations Environment Programme. Every year it is hosted by a different city and commemorated with an international exposition through the week of June 5.
It is celebrated in various ways throughout the world like Kenya, New Zealand, Poland, Spain and the United States. Activities such as parading on the streets, concerts, tree planting drives and clean-up campaigns are common. In most countries, it is used as an annual event to enhance political attention and mass action towards improving the environment. This also becomes an occasion to sign and ratify international environmental treaties and conventions.
The symbols used are mainly natural colours depicting nature, the Earth and its natural resources. Colours like greens, browns and blues are most commonly used in posters and hoardings. Images of natural landscapes and beauties of the planet like mountains, clean beaches, unpolluted rivers and photos of floral and fauna are used to promote campaigns supporting this day.
Theme Of World Environment Day 2020
World Environment Day 2020 will be held on the 5th of June, 2020 in Colombia and the environment day theme is biodiversity. It will be doing so in partnership with Germany. Biodiversity means the variety and variability of life on Earth. It’s a measure of variation at the genetic, species and ecosystem level. Terrestrial biodiversity is usually greater around the equator due to the warm climate and high primary productivity.
Biodiversity isn’t evenly distributed on the planet and is richest around the tropical belt. The tropical forests around the world occupy only 10 percent of the Earth's surface but contain 90 percent of the world’s species. Hence, biodiversity tends to cluster around the hotspots and has been increasing through time. However, in the future this all is likely to decline if strict action isn’t taken.
Quotes On World Environment Day
There is no doubt that the environment needs to be saved and protected and we must take individual as well as global action to rally around it. Here are some environment day quotes that will motivate you to share with your closed ones to spread save environment quotes:
- “There’s so much pollution in the air now that if it weren’t for our lungs there’d be no place to put it all.” – Robert Orben
- “If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either”. – Joseph Wood Krutch
- “What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and one another.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “I can find God in nature, in animals, in birds and the environment”. – Pat Buckley
- “The environment is everything that isn’t me”. – Albert Einstein
- “Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we’ll soon be in trouble”. – Roger Tory Peterson
- “The environment is where we all meet; where we all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” – Lady Bird Johnson
- “Water is H2O, hydrogen two parts, oxygen one, but there is also a third thing, that makes it water and nobody knows what that is.”- D.H. Lawrence
- “When a man says to me, “I have the intensest love of nature,” at once I know that he has none.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” - John Muir
- “Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.” - Aldo Leopold
- “There must be a reason why some people can afford to live well. They must have worked for it. I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things we could use.”- Mother Teresa
- “What is the use of a house if you don't have a decent planet to put it on?” - Henry David Thoreau
- “Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.” - Albert Einstein
- “Waste not the smallest thing created, for grains of sand make mountains, and atomies infinity.”- E. Knight
- “In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.” - Aristotle
- “What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?”- Henry David Thoreau
- “A margin of life is developed by Nature for all living things - including man. All life forms obey Nature's demands - except man, who has found ways of ignoring them.” -Eugene M. Poirot
- “Pleasure is Nature's test, her sign of approval. When man is happy, he is in harmony with himself and his environment.”- Oscar Wilde
- “The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan
- "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed." - Mahatma Gandhi
- "A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people." - Franklin D Roosevelt
- "What is the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" - Henry David Thoreau, Familiar Letters
- “If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.” - Henry David Thoreau
- “Climate change is a terrible problem, and it absolutely needs to be solved. It deserves to be a huge priority.” -Bill Gates
- “We're running the most dangerous experiment in history right now, which is to see how much carbon dioxide the atmosphere... can handle before there is an environmental catastrophe.” -Elon Musk
- “By polluting clear water with slime you will never find good drinking water.” -Aeschylus
- “If we're destroying our trees and destroying our environment and hurting animals and hurting one another and all that stuff, there's got to be a very powerful energy to fight that. I think we need more love in the world. We need more kindness, more compassion, more joy, more laughter. I definitely want to contribute to that.” - Ellen DeGeneres
- “Saving our planet, lifting people out of poverty, advancing economic growth... these are one and the same fight. We must connect the dots between climate change, water scarcity, energy shortages, global health, food security and women's empowerment. Solutions to one problem must be solutions for all.” -Ban Ki-moon
- “'Being green' is commendable, but I hope that people don't take too much pride and self-adoration because they shut off the water when they brushed their teeth. The truth of the matter is, conservation alone will do little to save our planet.” - Naveen Jain
- “The only way forward, if we are going to improve the quality of the environment, is to get everybody involved.” - Richard Rogers
- “You will die but the carbon will not; its career does not end with you. It will return to the soil, and there a plant may take it up again in time, sending it once more on a cycle of plant and animal life.” -Jacob Bronowski
Slogans On World Environment Day
If you want to make posters or shout some save environment slogans on World Environment Day then we’ve got you covered. Here are the best environment day slogans for you:
- Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
- It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
- Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us.
- If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live.
- We won't have a society if we destroy the environment.
- A good planet is hard to find.
- Consume with care, we have only one planet and one environment.
- Don’t let our future dry up.
- Green city is my dream city.
- Greenery is natural scenery, retain it forever.
- Happy world environment day, do plantation to be free of pollution.
- It’s our world, take care of it.
- Join hands to save environment.
- Join the campaign to save environment.
- Join the race to make the world a better place.
- Keep calm & go green.
- Keep calm & plant more trees.
- Keep calm & save the environment.
- Keep calm & say no to pollution.
- Our environment is in need.
- Passing pollution on to children is not a gift.
- Plan for the Planet!
- Plant a tree today.
- Plant for the planet.
- Plant together… let’s make the world greener.
- Plant trees to make environment pollution free.
- Pollution is primitive; green is preemptive.
- Pollution solutions, not warfare resolutions.
- Raise your voice not pollution.
- Raise your voice not the sea level.
- Rebirth our earth.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Respect nature and celebrate world environment day to bring positive actions.
- Safer environment is a better tomorrow.
- Save a planet. Start with the one you're standing on!
- Save Earth to Save Life.
- There’s No Planet B.
- Think green, Go green.
- Think green, keep it clean.
- This Earth has limits: respect them this Earth Day and every day.
- Waste water today, live in the desert tomorrow.
- We the Peoples: United for the Global Environment.
- We Were Born to help the World, Not to Destroy it.
- We’re the green team, not the mean team.
- Work together to bring happy weather.
- World environment day makes us realize our mistakes towards the environment.
- World environment day motivates us to take positive environmental actions.
- World environment day reminds us about the importance of the environment.
- Forests: Nature at your Service
- We the Peoples: United for the Global Environment
- Clean the world you’re on
- One World, One Environment
- Go green
- It’s all about the trees
- Lend a hand to save the land
- Don’t let anyone to trash our planet
- Only One Earth, Care and Share
- A Tree for Peace
- Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home
- Connect with the World Wide Web of Life
- Plan for the Planet
- Join the race to make the world a better place
Environment Day Posters
So, you can take your pick and send your favourite Environment day quotes, slogans, posters and theme to your family and friends to inspire them to care for the environment to have a better tomorrow.
Learn a whole new set of skills without stepping out of your home. Join our talented set of hosts on #POPxoLive and you're all set. Download the POPxo App and get ready to take it up a pop!