Popularly known as May Day, Labour day originated in the 19th century when workers in the US trade unions demanded reduction of working hours to eight per day. Observed to celebrate the strength and dedication of the working class, International Labour Day was first celebrated in India on May 1, 1923, in Chennai.
Labour Day 2020 comes at a time when the entire world is fighting the coronavirus pandemic. Millions of healthcare professionals are fighting at the COVID-19 frontlines to save lives. Sanitation workers, delivery boys, vegetable vendors have been working for us day and night to make sure we get our supplies of essential commodities. Cops across the world are also working to ensure all government orders on the lockdown are strictly adhered to. In some parts of India, cops are ensuring that the poor and needy get vegetables and other essential supplies. There could be no better day than International Labour Day/ May Day to thank these people who make our lives easier at a time when the world is fighting against the novel coronavirus. Here are some Labour day quotes, slogans and messages to celebrate the spirit of their hard work.
Labour Day or May Day 2020 is marked with a public holiday in over 80 countries. The day aims at focusing on the rights of every labour, and all that they deserve to appreciate their hard work. The International Labour Day theme for 2019 was ‘Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement’.
Here are some quotes on Labour Day that stress on the importance of work and labour they put in for us.
1.“A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.” - Victor Hugo
2. “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.” - Karl Marx
3. “Heaven is blessed with perfect rest but the blessing of earth is toil.” -Henry van Dyke
4. “God sells us all things at the price of labour” -Leonardo da Vinci
5. “The man who doesn’t relax and hoot a few hoots voluntarily, now and then, is in great danger of hooting hoots and standing on his head for the edification of the pathologist and trained nurse, a little later on” -Elbert Hubbard
6. “Work isn’t to make money; you work to justify life” - Marc Chagall
7. “Without labour nothing prospers” -Sophocles
8. “Labour was the first price, the original purchase-money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labour, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased“ -Adam Smith
9. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” – Confucius
10. “Work is no disgrace; the disgrace is idleness” – Greek proverb
Now that we've listed labour day quotes, let's have a look at labour day slogans that you can use to make people aware of the hard work that workers put in.
Here are some Labour Day slogans for students and children to keep themselves motivated and to understand the importance of hard work that everyday workers put in to get even the smallest jobs done. Have a look at some of the slogans on Labour Day :
11. Labour Day is to remember the effort of those who work hard.
12. Workers play a great role in our big achievements, cheering them on Labour Day!
13. Be happy to celebrate the spirit of hard work.
14. A tree alone cannot make a forest! Celebrate Labour Day to respect the hard work.
15. Workers are the strength of the company, give them respect and some time to relax.
Encourage workers all across the world, send and share the following labour day message to employees.
16. To the new hero of the world, thank you. We will never forget what you have contributed to the country and to the workplace you specifically worked with. Our appreciation belongs to you because you all deserve it.
17. Problems and difficult situations should not stop a man from reaching his dreams. Everyone is in danger of losing a battle, but those who fight until the end find peace and satisfaction. Remember that success comes with hard work and passion.
18. Everyone needs appreciation and respect to stay motivated in the field of work. Happy Labour Day!
19. Work requires commitment and hustle. Let us join our hands to appreciate the ones who work hard for us. Happy Labour Day!
20. No matter how hard the job will be, if you are focused and determined, I’m sure there’s no way you will fail. Hard work should be paid off.
Show appreciation and recognise the efforts of all workers regardless of their occupation. It is important to send Labour Day wishes to all your peers as well as seniors and subordinates. Here are some warm wishes for Labour Day that you can send them to show them you care:
21. You deserve a big celebration for getting the job done every time. This is your day to relax, unwind and enjoy the company of good friends.
22. Happy Labour Day! Remember that labour means hard work but not at the cost of being deprived of your rights.
23. Labour is the ladder through which human dignity and creative excellence is expressed. Happy Labour Day.
24. There is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem.
25. A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
26. Labour Day is a well-deserved tribute for those who work so hard. No matter what kind of work you do, Labour Day is for you.
27. Work is rewarding in many ways. I hope yours brings you the satisfaction you seek. Savor the Labour Day weekend as a reward for a job well done.
28. Labour Day is a special occasion to honor all workers. Please know that your efforts make a huge difference in the success of your team.
29. Every piece of equipment and technology in the modern workplace is made of thousands of parts. Each part is a valuable component made by people like you. You are valued. Happy Labour Day.
30. You put great effort into everything that you do, and you deserve to be appreciated by a grateful nation. May you grow and prosper some more in your chosen career. Have a wonderful time on Labour Day.
So, these were the labour day quotes, slogans, wishes & messages that you can send and share this International labour day / May Day. Now let's address some frequently asked questions about labour day.
What is May 1st popularly known as?
May 1st is popularly known as International Worker’s Day or Labour Day, while in some countries it is often referred to as May Day. It is a celebration with a long and varied history, dating back to the 19th-century movement for labour rights and an eight-hour workday in the United States.
Is Labour Day a holiday in India?
Labour Day celebrates the contribution and sacrifice of workers for the society. The people of India started observing this day from May 1, 1923, right after the Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan initiated and Comrade Singaravelar helmed the celebrations of this day. In India, it started with a resolution stating the government should allow everybody a national holiday on Labour Day. Since then, Labour Day is observed as a holiday in India.
What do you say on Labour Day?
You can either share some Labour Day quotes in English or resort to the classic greeting, ‘Happy Labour Day’, but don’t forget to thank everyone for their contribution at work.
Let us, therefore, appreciate all the workers today, as we celebrate International Labour Day. Team POPxo’s best wishes and Labour Day greetings to everyone who is working extremely hard in the coronavirus-affected world. We value your efforts. Thank you!
Featured Image: Unsplash