There's nothing more painful than loving someone whose heart does not beat for you. If you're going through a rough patch, I want you to take a deep breath and drop that heavy emotional baggage you've been clinging on to. One bitter experience shouldn't define your perspective of love. In most cases, it's not the other person's fault either. For love to blossom, feelings need to be mutual.
Maybe they weren't destined to be with you. Maybe you deserve higher love. Maybe the stars aren't aligning for you two at the moment. Whatever be the case, let me tell you that these unpleasant feelings will pass away in time. You will cry, you will struggle, but most importantly, you will survive this.
15 Beautiful Quotes On Unrequited Love To Help You Come Out Stronger
May you find comfort in these quotes and hopefully, one day, open your heart to love again.
1. "Sometimes life sends us people who don’t love us enough, to remind us of what we’re worthy of." - Mandy Hale.
2. "Maybe one day you’ll understand that hearts don’t intend to break other hearts." - Marisa Donnelly.
3. "It’s delicious to have people adore you, but it’s exhausting, too. Particularly when your own feelings don’t match theirs." - Tasha Alexander.
4. "Let no one who loves be called altogether unhappy. Even love unreturned has its rainbow." - J.M. Barrie.
5. “Sometimes no matter how many eyelashes or dandelion seeds you blow, no matter how much of your heart you tear out and slap on your sleeve, it just ain't gonna happen.” ― Melissa Jensen.
6. "When I talk about unrequited love, most of you probably think about romantic love, but there are many other kinds of love that are not adequately returned if they are returned at all. An angry adolescent may not love her mother back as her mother loves her; an abusive father doesn't return the innocent open love of his young child. But grief is the ultimate unrequited love. However hard and however long we love someone who has died, they can never love us back. At least that is how it feels..." - Rosamund Lupton.
7. "When you love something, you have to make sure it loves you back, or you'll bring about no end of trouble chasing it." - Patrick Rothfuss.
8. "Never fall in love with someone that won't fight for you because when the real battles begin they won't pull your heart to safety, but they will their own." - Shannon L. Alder.
9. “Unrequited love is so boring. Weeping under a blue-black sky is for suckers or maniacs.” - Alice Hoffman.
10. “When the person you love can't see your love for them beneath the painful things you say when they reject you, remember this: Love is blind.” - Shannon L. Alder.
11. "I was even a little glad that if it wasn’t going to be me she wanted, it was going to be someone who really deserved her." - Cassandra Clare.
12. "I never hated you. My anger was never with you, but with the little hell my heart had put me in. The anger always passed. I never regretted loving you. If I had gone to my grave never kissing you or touching you, I still would not have thought it a wasted love." - Madeline Hunter.
13. "I loved him the way some people are to be loved - from a distance" - Sanhita Baruah.
14. "I have to admit, unrequited love is so much better than a real one. I mean, it’s perfect… As long as something is never even started, you never have to worry about it ending. It has endless potential." - Sarah Dessen.
15. "You can't own a human being. You can't lose what you don't own. Suppose you did own him. Could you really love somebody who was absolutely nobody without you? You really want somebody like that? Somebody who falls apart when you walk out the door? You don't, do you? And neither does he. You're turning over your whole life to him. Your whole life, girl. And if it means so little to you that you can just give it away, hand it to him, then why should it mean any more to him? He can't value you more than you value yourself." - Toni Morrison.
I'd like to conclude by requesting you to be patient with your aching heart. What you are going through now won't matter in the next five years. Forgive yourself and accept your feelings. You can't force someone to love you. On the contrary, wish the best for them and leave it at that. Practice self-love and surround yourself with people who voluntarily love you.