Pop it, lock it and colour block it - that’s my go-to style mantra for whenever I feel that my mundane all-black clothes deserve a much-needed break. It is one thing to pair bold coloured clothes to create a concoction that’s appealing to the human eye, but it is something else to mix contrasting colours in a way that they look spliced to each other. And colour-blocking is not just for clothes. With so many new trends dominating the beauty industry, it was only a matter of time before colour-blocking made its debut in the makeup world too.
Wikipedia defines colour-blocking as “the exploration of taking colours that are opposites on the colour wheel and pairing them together to make interesting and complementary colour combinations.” It further goes on to explain that the term is commonly associated with fashion as a trend that originated from the artwork of Dutch painter, Piet Mondrian.
In simpler words, it means using contrasting colours or blocks of solid colours to create an outcome that looks nothing short of stunning. Purple and orange, pink and red are two of the most popular combos.
Subtle or a nude eyeshadow is an instant fix but you shouldn’t ignore those vibrant colours in your eyeshadow palette. With everyone from Sonakshi Sinha and Sonam Kapoor to Rihanna and Kendall Jenner taking a spin on the basic eye makeup, colour-blocking has become an instant hit! Rose gold eyes, rainbow eyes, classic cat eye with a colourful twist - there’s so much one can do. And if there’s anything I've learned from watching Jeffree Star on repeat is that makeup can take you places!
Now, how do we colour block? Do we take two or more colours, how do we blend them together, what colours to use? There’s a lot to this trend that’s all over Instagram!
- Is it just adding a pop of colour to a basic smokey eye or do you wish to go OTT with every colour possible? Decisions, decisions!
- Start by picking out the shades you wish to use. Preferably, choose a softer shade as one the colours so that it can double up as a transition shade or just as the base colour.
- Prep your eyes by applying an eye primer or a concealer to ensure that your shadows last longer.
- Starting from the inner corner of your eyes, apply the lightest shade on the crease of your eyelids and go back and forth and blend it upwards using a firm blending brush.
- Next, apply a darker shade on the outer crease of your eyelids and blend it inwards. Take the same shade (or a different one) and with a packer brush, buff in on your eyelids to create the smokey effect. Add some more colour if needed.
- You can further use loose pigments of glitter, liquid eyeshadows, colourful eyeliners, stick-on, rhinestones to take your eye to another level.
The important thing is to make sure that the shades blend well with each other otherwise it ends up looking like a fancy eye bruise, despite you spending hours to perfect it! Play with different textures and elements.
Practice for hours in front of the mirror, watch makeup tutorials on YouTube and practice the art of blending. Here are a few other pointers to keep in mind:
1. Invest in a good quality eye makeup palette.
2. Invest in quality makeup brushes and do not use one single brush to do the entire eye. For example, use a dense eyeshadow brush to apply your base colour or a concealer. Use a fluffy, round brush to apply colour to your crease. Use a tapered brush to ‘define’ your eyes properly and a small brush to draw strokes of colour on your lids.
3. Experiment with different textures, pigments and colour combinations.
4. Don’t go overboard with the colours. Just a simple yellow and orange can result in summertime fabness!
5. Some colours look more flattering on specific skin tones. For example, softer tones work wonders for every skin tone. People with duskier skin can never go wrong with electric and neon shades. Pastels and soft plums look wonderful on lighter skin tones. Although there is no hard and fast rule on this, it’s a fact that some shades look flattering on some as compared to others.
6. Be ready to fail. No one can perfect the art in a matter of days.
7. What’s the occasion? You cannot turn up at work with your eyes looking like the unicorn playhouse!
8. Another very important rule is if you wish your eyes should do all the talking for you, opt for a lighter lipstick shade otherwise to avoid taking attention away from your eyes.
9. Don’t forget to seal your art with a setting spray! It's going to make sure your makeup stays in place all day.
Think of makeup as an art. Your gorgeous face is the canvas. The makeup brushes are your magical brushes that help create the magic on your face. Without good quality brushes, you cannot do justice to your face and vice versa!
To create an ‘eye’conic eye look, you need equally iconic tools, which are your high-quality blending brushes and highly pigmented eyeshadows!
Here’s what we suggest.
Never underestimate the power of a good brush set. This 6 pack brush set is perfect for the makeup enthusiasts who wish to experiment more with their eye looks.
The smooth bristles ensure that all your product is picked up by the brushes and you blend it like Beckham...err pro!
Need brushes that look pretty on your makeup vanity and do a great good too? Well, these brushes are a perfect choice!
This set consists of 10 varieties so that you can experiment with different styles.
And that price. It’s a ‘pretty’ good steal, don’t you agree?
Add this gorgeous makeup pouch from our collection so that you can take your brushes with you, wherever you go.
If you and *basic* cannot be used in one sentence, this eye palette will bring joy to your colourful self. With 18 vibrant shades to choose from, this palette is perfect for you to play and experiment with all sorts of colours and textures. Glitters, mattes- there’s something for everybody to create the rainbow look of your dreams! So get, set and add a pop of colour to your eyelids ‘coz a basic cat-eye is too mainstream.
Let’s take a moment and admire this gorgeous packaging. It took my mind straight to a vacation on a luxurious yacht. Now coming back to reality, this gorgeous eyeshadow palette comes from the house of ABH and boy, it does not disappoint!
This palette consists of 14 highly pigmented shades that help to create an eye look that looks *da bomb*. Add a hint of colour to your eyelids or simply use one colour on your eyelids and another on your lower lashes and voila, you know the easiest way to colour-block your eyes.
This is a masterpiece. There, I said it! If you’re in the mood to serve some hot lewks, look no further. The 18 shades in this palette consist of a mix between matte, metallic and foil shadows. With shade names like Prick, Glucose, Candy Floss, it’s safe to say that this is not your regular palette but a whole experience in itself. And if you thought the names were extra, that faux leather packaging will make you add this red hot baby straight to your e-cart!
Talk about a colourful wonderland! This gorgeous palette comes with 35 colours for you to work with. Shimmers, pressed pigments, matte shades, satin finish - there are a plethora of options for everyone. The gorgeous shades range from soft neutrals to dark tones to bright colours to earthy tones so you can practice from dusk to dawn. Order this baby right away and colour-block those gorgeous eyes.
It’s time to raise your wands (makeup brushes) and let the magic begin!
Featured Image: Instagram
Introducing #POPxoEverydayBeauty - POPxo Shop's collection of skin, bath & body, and hair products that are fun, effective and 100% fuss-free. To celebrate, we’re giving everyone 25% off on pre-orders so head to POPxo.com/beautyshop and take your beauty routine up a POP!