Dussehra is celebrated to mark the triumph of good over evil. Derived from two Sanskrit words, Dasha and Hara, Dussehra marks the historic victory of lord Ram over the evil king Ravana. In West Bengal, Dussehra is celebrated as Vijayadashmi, the day when goddess Durga defeated and killed the evil buffalo king Mahisasura. Whatever the story and folklore, Dussehra in its most basics is the celebration of the good and the righteous and a gentle reminder that it is the good that wins in the end!
All of us have a favourite memory of the Dussehra season and for most of us it is the Ravan-burning in the neighbourhood. Friends and family come together on this day and burn effigies of Ravana. This practise is symbolic of burning the evil and negativity within us and celebrating the goodness in us.
Dussehra is the time to spend with friends, family and loved ones. But if you are not with them this festive season, worry not. You can remind them that your good wishes and blessings will always be with them by sending them a meaningful Dussehra message.
Here are some wishes, messages and greetings you can send your loved ones this Dussehra.
This year Dussehra will be celebrated on the 8th of October. The festival, that is a ten-day-long celebration, ends with burning effigies of Ravana and to mark the triumph of good over evil. Exchanging wishes and greetings is a part of the tradition of Dussehra. Here are a few wishes and quotes you can send to your loved ones this Dussehra.
1. May this Dussehra light up for you the hopes of happy times, and dreams for a year full of smiles! Wish you a Happy Dussehra!
2. As birds are made to fly and rivers to run, so the soul to follow duty. Happy Dussehra!
3. Let’s start a new life by conquering over our eternal enemy like kama, krodha. Let’s take the path to give a new dimension to our life on this auspicious festival.
4. The fragrance of the flower is never borne against the breeze, but the fragrance of human virtues diffuses itself everywhere. Happy Dussehra!
5. May Lord Ram shower his choicest wishes on you and remove all evil obstacles from your life. Happy Dussehra!
6. Everyday sunrise gives us a message that darkness will always be defeated by light. Let us follow the same principle in life and believe that good will always have a win over evil.
7. May the victory of good over evil bring you new aspirations, new hopes and new inspiration to fulfil your dreams and goals. May you have a Happy Dussehra!
8. May your life take a new turn this Dussehra. Let only positive and happy thoughts surround you and all negative and brooding ones burn along with the effigy of Ravana.
9. Burn all ego, hatred and anger within you along with the effigy of Ravana. May you be successful and happy ever! Happy Dussehra!
10. An auspicious day to start with any good work. It was today that good won victory over bad. May this day clear all hurdles in your life and start a new era of well-being. Happy Dussehra!!
11. May this Dussehra burn all gloom and misery on Earth along with Ravana, and bring you happiness and prosperity. Happy Vijayadashami!
12. May the happiness that Durga puja brings be with you throughout the year. Happy Vijayadashmi!
13. May you be showered with good health and success this year. Good wishes for a joyous Vijayadashmi.
14. May the victory of good over evil bring you new aspirations, new hopes and new inspiration to fulfil your dreams and goals. May you have a Happy Dussehra!
15. Long live the true essence of Dussehra! For this day, the good overpowers the forces of evil, and brings peace and prosperity to us! Happy Dussehra to all!
The festival of Dussehra is celebrated as Vijayadasami in West Bengal and some other parts of India. Vijayadasami, or the day of victory, is celebrated on the last day of the ten-day-long festival. The nine days of Navratri are classified on the three qualities of tamas, rajas and sattva. The first three days are tamas when the Goddess is at her fierce form- Durga or Kali. The next three days are dedicated to goddess Laxmi and the last three days are for knowledge and enlightenment and so they are dedicated to goddess Saraswati. The tenth day, Vijayadashami means that you have conquered all these three qualities.
Check out some more Dussehra wishes below:
16. Sending my best wishes to you and your family on the auspicious occasion of Dussehra. May you always follow the path of Dharma like Lord Rama! Happy Dussehra, stay blessed.
17. May your troubles burst away like the fireworks and your happiness multiply this Dussehra. Have a happy one!
18. Dussehra signifies the victory of good over evil. May all the evil around you vanish by the virtue of the goodness in and around you. Happy Dussehra!
19. Learn to admire, not to envy. Remember to work and not to regret. Have a blessed Dussehra.
20. On the happy occasion of Dussehra, I pray that Lord Ram fills your life with lots of happiness, prosperity and success. Happy Dussehra to you and your family.
21. May this Dussehra bring you loads of joy, success and prosperity, and may your worries burn away with the effigy of Ravana. Wishing you a year full of smiles and happiness.
22. May Lord Rama keep lighting your path of success and may you achieve victory in every phase of life. Happy Dussehra!
23. May goddess Durga destroy all evil around you and fill your life with happiness and prosperity. Happy Dussehra!
24. I pray that all the evil that surrounds you will be vanquished with the divine intercession of the great Durga. May she fill your life with eternal bliss and favour. Happy Dussehra!
25. Celebrate Dussehra with a happy and joyful heart, as this day is the day when good defeated evil. May you and your family have a happy Dussehra!
26. Just as Lord Ram eradicated all evil from the earth by destroying Ravan, I wish that you also successfully banish all negative thoughts from your mind. Have a happy and prosperous Dussehra!
27. May the hands of the goddess help you succeed! And grant you the wisdom to knock down all your hardships. Happy Dussehra to you!
28. May Dussehra inspire you to never give up on your dreams and aspirations! Victories are already written in your life’s story. Happy Dussehra!
29. May these good over evil stories, inspire you towards your own victories! To meet great targets! Aspire and stretch! Tide over bad-times! Happy Dussehra!
30. Truth shall always prevail, good shall always reign, this is the true essence of Dussehra. Happy Dussehra!
Dussehra is celebrated in different forms in different parts of the country. In Mysore, the Mysore Palace is lit with over 1,00,000 lights. A grand elephant procession goes through the city to showcase the rich heritage of the city. In Mangalore, young men dress up as lions and dance to the beats of drums across the city. In Andhra Pradesh, huge processions are carried out on the streets. In Delhi and some other parts of North India, Ramlila is organised in different parts of the city and effigies of Ravana are burnt. In Gujarat, men and women dress up in traditional Gujarati clothes and dance with dandiya sticks throughout the night.
Here are a few Dussehra WhatsApp status for you and your loved ones:
31. Celebrate the victory of good over evil. May you have a fun-filled and blissful Dussehra.
32. May the Goddess Durga turn all your dreams into reality this Vijaya Dashami! Stay blessed.
33. Celebrate the victory of the forces of good over Evil. Let us celebrate an auspicious day to begin new things in life. Happy Dussehra!
34. May truth always win and good triumph over evil. May the lord always bless you with wisdom. Happy Dussehra!
35. A time for celebration, A time for victory of good over bad, A time when the world sees an example of the power of good. Let us continue the same “true” spirit. Happy Dussehra.
36. In your life, may the good triumph over evil; and may you achieve the strength and courage to follow the path of righteousness! Happy Dussehra!
37. Truth shall always prevail. Good shall always reign. This is the true essence of Dussehra. So let's celebrate and welcome Lord Rama's blessings.
38. On this auspicious day of Dussehra, I wish you every happiness and the fulfilment of all your dreams.
39. Let us Celebrate the Victory of Humanity, Justice and Truth. Wish you a very Happy Vijayadashmi.
40. Troubles as light as the ocean, love as deep as the ocean, friends as solid as diamonds and success as bright as gold...These are my wishes for you and your family on Dussehra.
41. Celebrate! For the good defeats evil. Happy Dussehra!
42. It's good to flow with symbolism. It's better to implement the meanings as well! This Dusshera burn the Ravana within.
43. May this auspicious day of Dussehra burn all gloom and misery on Earth along with Ravana, and bring you happiness and prosperity. Happy Dussehra!
44. Every Dussehra reminds us that evil exists along with the good. A time for victory of good over evil. Burn the Ravana within. May this Dussehra brings lots of lights and happiness in your life.
45. May Maa Durga empower you and your family with her nine forms of Name, Fame, Health, Wealth, Happiness, Humanity, Education, Bhakti & Shakti. Happy Dussehra!
Different regions in the country celebrate Dussehra in their own unique way and with their own traditions and rituals but without losing its underlying significance. Perhaps, this is what makes it the most widely celebrated festival in the country.
Here are a few messages and greetings to wish your family and friends a very Happy Dussehra:
46. Dussehra signifies the victory of good over evil. May all the evil around you vanish by the virtue of the goodness in and around you. Happy Dussehra!
47. May the demon in you always get defeated and the angel in you always control your thoughts. Have a blessed Vijayadashmi!
48. May Lord Ram keep lighting your path of success and may you achieve victory in every phase of life. Happy Dussehra!
49. May this Dussehra all your worries, problems and obstacles get burned with the effigy of Ravana. Have a happy Dussehra!
50. May Lord Ram always keep showering his blessings upon you. May your life be prosperous and trouble-free throughout.
51. Fortunate is the one who has learned to admire, but not to envy. Good wishes for a joyous Vijayadashmi.
52. May this Dussehra light up for you the hopes of happy times and dreams for a year full of smiles. Wish you Happy Dussehra!
53. On this special day, as you celebrate valor and courage, the triumph of good over evil, wish you success and happiness in everything you do! Happy Dussehra!
54. May God bless you with all success on the auspicious occasion of Dussehra, and may you be capable of defeating all evils of your life. Happy Dussehra
55. On the happy occasion of Dussehra, I pray that Lord Ram fills your life with lots of happiness, prosperity and success. Happy Dussehra!
56. This Dussehra, I wish you a long life, good health, good fortune and prosperity. Have a blessed Dussehra!
57. May you win every battle in life just like lord Ram! Happy Vijayadashmi to you.
58. Ram and Ravana- Both have the same start but their end was decided by their Karma. Happy Dussehra!
59. Anger, jealousy, greed and pride; they must never in your heart survive. Happy Dussehra!
60. Let us vanquish all our demons, embrace the Gods and may the angels forever protect us. Happy Dussehra!
Introducing #POPxoEverydayBeauty - POPxo Shop's collection of skin, bath & body, and hair products that are fun, effective and 100% fuss-free. To celebrate, we’re giving everyone 25% off on pre-orders so head to POPxo.com/beautyshop and take your beauty routine up a POP!