From aggressive and violent leads slapping their girlfriends in the name of love (Kabir Singh) to educated and ambitious female leads giving in to their unmannerly stalkers (Badrinath Ki Dulhaniya), Bollywood is a terrible place when it comes to portraying women. But everything is acceptable in Bollywood, even misogynistic storylines and sexist dialogues. Though we do have movies like Queen and Dor, they are few in number. Our entertainment industry still has a long way to go when it comes to portraying women for what they are - independent, smart and confident.
Oh Bollywood, how do you manage to reinforce gender stereotype so subtly?
1. “Har ladki apne hone wale pati me father figure dhundti hai. Figure uske paas hai, father tu hai” - Golmaal Again, 2017
*Cringes and dies*
2. “Tu ladki ke peeche bhagega, ladki paise ke peeche bhagegi. Tu paise ke piche bhagega, ladki tere peeche bhagegi” - Wanted, 2009
Only in your chauvinist minds and your stereotypical films, Bollywood.
3. "Aurat ke ek nahi teen janam hote hain. Pehla jab wo kisi ki beti bankar is duniya me aati hai. Dusra jab wo patni banti hai. Aur teesra jab wo ma banti hai- Chori Chori Chupke Chupke, 2001
Yes, that’s the whole point of our existence.
4. “Upar wale ne tumhe aage or peechey bahut kuch diya hai par upar kuch nahi diya hai”- Race 2, 2013
Yeah, because intelligent, empowered and smart women threaten you.
5. “Pyar se de rahe hain, rakh lo warna thappar maar ke bhi de sakte hain”- Dabangg, 2010
Before Kabir Singh, Bollywood gave us Chulbul Pandey.
6. “Marriage se pehle ladkiyan sex object hoti hain or marriage ke bad they object to sex”- Kambakhht Ishq, 2009
Just when we thought it couldn’t get worse than this, Kambakkht Ishq made its grand entry!
7. “Tum ek patni ho tumhara pati jaisa chahega waisa hi hoga. Yeh shaadi ka dastoor hai. Sirf bistar par sona hi ek patni ka farz nahi hai. Man se man milna chahiye. Ghar se bahar jane wali auratein hi badchalan nahi hoti; ghar ki baatein bahar le jane wali bhi badchalan hoti hain. Mard aurat ka bhagwan hota hai”- Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam, 2002
SRK giving some trashy husband goals in this one.
8. “Agar khubsurat ladki ko na chedo toh wo bhi toh uski beizzati hoti hai na”- Maalamaal, 1988
You know it’s so difficult to live without men’s validation in this big bad world.
9. “When you can’t change the girl, change the girl”- Chashme Baddoor, 2013
10. “Budhi ho ya jawan, melodrama is duniya ki sari auraton ke khoon me hai”- 2 States, 2014
Yeah, like misogyny is in your heart and mind.
11. “Aise mat dekho lagta hai marinated murgi ko tandoor dekh raha hai”- The Dirty Picture, 2011
Guess the dialogue writer couldn’t think of an absurder comparison.
12. “Balatkar se yaad aaya meri biwi kahan hai”- Grand Masti, 2013
It mortifies me how low Bollywood can stoop!
13. “Tum ladki me sabse pehle kya dekhte ho? Wo toh depend karta hai na ke ladki aa rahi hai ya ja rahi hai”- Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum, 2012
Just another ridiculous dialogue from an utterly absurd film.
14. “Mard kab peeta hai, kya peeta hai, kaise peeta hai, yeh jankari rakhna Bhartiya nari ki sabse important duty hai”- Aamdani Atthanni Kharcha Rupaiya, 2001
Got it, bhartiya naris??
15. “Akeli ladki khuli tijori ki tarah hoti hai”- Jab We Met, 2007
Now you know why they tell you not to go out of the house late at night.
16. “Aurat ka khaas khayal do hi umar me bahut jada rakhna padta hai. Ek jab uski umar hovat hai satrah. Tab saala badh jata hai khatra. Aur jab aurat hovat hai tees, o saali ban javat hai cheez”- Rowdy Rathore, 2012
WTF does that really mean??
17. “Che din, ladki in”- Kal Ho Naa Ho, 2003
The cool dude guide to impress girls!
18. “Ladki jab roti hai to bahut sarae reasons hote hai par jab ladka rota hai to reason ladki hi hoti hai”- Once Upon A Time In Mumbai Dobaara, 2013
Poor boys plagued by the cunning girls.
19. “Yeh hoti hai asli ladki. Chutki me Bipasha, chutki me Madhubala”- Mere Brother Ki Dulhan, 2011
The subtle art of stereotyping women.
20. “Sapne dekho jarur dekho par unke poore hone ki shart mat rakho”- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, 1995
Saving the best for the last. To f*ck with dreams and ambitions because well...ladki hai, kya karegi sapne dekh ke?!
In a country where Bollywood is like a second religion, is it too much to ask the filmmakers to be a little sensitive and sensible?
Love all things colourful and cute? Take it up a POP with POPxo Shop’s collection of super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves and more!