No matter how many people enter your life, nobody can ever hold a place in your heart as special as that of your mother's. She's that one human who'll never stop loving you, protecting you from the worst circumstances or pushing you to be the best possible version of yourself - even if she's seen as the 'bad guy' in the process. At least I've had my share of heated arguments turned into days of 'silent treatment' with her. And I bet we've all had that phase, haven't we?
Like many of us, I too spent most of my teen years bickering endlessly with my mom over the things that she REALLY wanted me to do and all that I ignored out of pure stubbornness. Every time, she told me to do something that was parallel to my opinion, I took it upon my ego to do the exact opposite. I was adamant on proving to her that I was right - but no matter how much I tried, she never gave up!
Today, when I look back at all the things she refused or those which she forced me to do (after hours of lectures or consistent scolding) - I now, realise how wrong I had been all along. Her motherly instinct was indeed, spot on. And not just about one but too many things that I never really had a chance to admit earlier but can proudly do so now. So dearest Ma, here are all the things you were right about.
1. You were right about... Every single friend who you believed wasn't worthy of my time, love or care. I ended up wasting too many years of my life with them.
2. You were right about... The fact that one day, me and my sister would be inseparable - every time we fought or argued like crazy.
3. You were right about... The times you told me to wear extra woollens during winters or carry a jacket whenever I stepped out. It could have saved me from catching a cold so many times.
4. You were right about... The guys whom I *thought* I loved but really, it was just infatuation.
5. You were right about... The times you told me to "slow down" and not be in a hurry to grow up. You knew how much I'd miss being a kid, someday.
6. You were right about... The times you told me to concentrate on my studies rather than my social life. They gave me good rewards in the end.
7. You were right about... Emphasising the importance of being a 'morning person'. And, inhibiting me from sleeping till noon.
8. You were right about... Stopping me from taking too many antibiotics. And instead, telling me to use homoeopathy for long-term cure of ailments.
9. You were right about... Making me drink turmeric milk every night. It really is a magic potion!
10. You were right about... Never letting me skip breakfast - no matter how much I refused to eat on all those cranky mornings.
11. You were right about... The importance of drinking freshly, squeezed juices to strengthen my immune system.
12. You were right when... You told me to stay true to myself and never try too hard to fit in or follow anybody.
13. You were right when... You told me to follow my intuitions and gut instincts - ALL THE TIME. And, never do something that gives me an inkling of a bad feeling.
14. You were right about... All the times you reminded me how much I'd miss home when I move out.
15. You were right when... You told me to never stop believing in myself or underestimate my abilities.
16. You were right about... Encouraging me to take the road less travelled by - and be unique!
17. You were right when... You told me to be careful about where I spent my money. And save some for a rainy day.
18. You were right when... You told me that finding my dream job would take time - but it'll be worth the wait.
19. You were right when... You told me to invest in my skincare regime through natural home remedies rather than splurging on cosmetics.
20. You were right when... You warned me to never mix business with pleasure - to avoid messy situations.
21. You were right when... You told me to never starve myself or go on crazy diets to achieve that 'ideal' figure.
22. You were right when... You taught me to never let things end on a bad note - with anybody! It's a small world and you never know who you may cross paths with again, someday.
23. You were right when... You told me to take out more time for our family and spend time with you all, whenever I could.
24. You were right about... Asking me to do everything in moderation - drinking, partying, staying out at night, etc.
25. You were right when... You assured me that it's okay to take a break and pamper myself every now and then. Acquiring peace and happiness is, indeed, the most important thing in the world!
Thanks, Ma - for teaching me everything at such a young age and instilling in me such beautiful values and habits for a happy, successful and satisfying life.
P.S. You will always remain my guardian angel!
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST. Online shopping for women never looked better!