Kareena Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, and Aishwarya Rai are basically the advocates of red lipstick. Apart from the fact that the latter two are associated with an entire range of red lipsticks curated by a leading makeup brand, their personal style also reflects their love for this bright shade. Since I'm a movie buff, I too wanted to try red lipstick. When I was 20, I decided to try out my first red lipstick. And I scared the living daylights out of myself.
Why do you ask? Because I didn't pick the right shade of red for my skin tone. I just jumped head first into the most famous shade of red lipstick out there: M.A.C. Ruby Woo. Here are some of the 'compliments' I received after I put it on.
1. You look like you just drank blood.
2. I can't see your nose in the pictures, you look so pale... like Voldemort.
3. Maybe you should have a look in the mirror.
4. Awww... you look like Snow White if she murdered the seven dwarfs.
5. Where's your Edward Cullen?
Anyway, for the next three years, I refused to give in to the red lipstick craze. My mother, on the other hand, looks gorgeous in red and so became the bearer of all my curated shades of red. A few weeks ago I decided to ditch my pastel pink lipstick and I went on an escapade to find the perfect party lipstick.
There it was! A beautiful shade of deep maroon, like it had been made just for me. Again, I turned to my mother for her remark and you know what she said? 'You look sexy.' Alas! My wishes had been answered, I found a shade from the same family, a maroon lipstick that mimicked the boldness of a red and yet suited my skin tone.
Here you have it, the beauty diary about finding the right shade of red... or maroon. If you are on the journey to find your lipstick, here are a few things to keep in mind.
1. Always swatch the shade, never trust your instinct. Unless you're re-stocking.
2. Listen to your mom, because mothers know best!
3. Never give up, you will eventually find the shade that's right for you.
Good luck finding your Mr. Right Red!
Want to read more? Check out how to perfect your red lipstick here.
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST.