When it comes to body hair, I didn't give it much thought, apart from the pain associated with getting it removed! Did you know that there were 3 different types of body hair? And each of them serve a specific purpose! I'm just as shocked as you are. Keep reading if you want to know about the types of body hair and the best methods to get rid of them!
Lanugo hair is the hair that covers your body while you're still unborn. It's responsible for keeping you warm and protected. Post birth, lanugo hair turns into vellous hair.
Vellous hair or peach fuzz is short, fine and hair that's lighter in colour. It's fine hair that covers most of your body, the kind of hair you'll most likely find on your forehead, back and other areas of the body. Vellous hair helps regulate your body temperature and serves as a cooling mechanism.
It's the thick and dark hair that is usually affected by your hormones. Terminal hair is the hair that replaces the vellous hair on your body once you hit puberty. Due to hormonal changes, terminal hair can be seen as you get older.
Enough talk about hair! Now let's talk about the various methods of hair removal!
1. Waxing: The oldest and most effective method of hair removal is waxing. Women have used this method for centuries. We do have a lot of more options in terms of the kinds of wax we choose to use though. Conventional wax, peel off wax, wax strips are some methods of waxing.
POPxo Recommends: Jeva Brazilian Film Wax Plum (Rs 760)
2. Shaving: The easiest and most fuss-free method of hair removal has got to be shaving. Just lather up and razor away any unwanted hair. Don't forget to use a good quality razor and moisturise afterwards!
POPxo Recommends: Gillette Venus Breeze 3 (Rs 299)
3. Hair Removal Cream: A hair removal cream is a pain-free method of hair removal, however, it can get pretty expensive if you do it often.
POPxo Recommends: Veet Hair Removal Cream For Sensitive Skin (Rs 60)
4. Laser or Permanent Hair Removal: Another popular method for getting rid of stubborn body hair is laser hair removal. It makes use of laser light to destroy the hair follicle from the root. Laser treatments can be costlier and cost upto Rs 4,000 per session. You would need about 6-8 sittings depending on the thickness of your hair and the area you are getting lasered.
5. Epilating: Epilating involves using a machine that pulls the hair out from the root. It's just as painful as waxing but more convenient for use at home.
POPxo Recommends: Philips Satinelle Essential Epilator (Rs 2,655)
6. Trimming: Trimming your hair is a pain-free way to get rid of any body hair. The trimmer will 'trim' your hair from the surface. So it will grow back a lot faster as compared to waxing or epilating.
POPxo Recommends: Veet Sensitive Touch Electric Trimmer For Women (Rs 1,849)
Welcome to #BrandNewPOPxo - POPxo is now more fun when you sign up!
App users, you'll be seeing the change soon!