Learning how to contour for your face shape is actually pretty easy. Contouring a round face is the easiest! All you need to do is add contour along the edges and highlight in the centre to illuminate your face. We'll show you exactly how. Keep reading!
Contouring and highlighting add dimension to your face. They help you bring forward your best features while concealing problem areas. Contouring gives the illusion of a slimmer, more shapely face while highlighting brings forward your features. You can completely change the way you look with a little bit of contouring and highlighting.
Think of contouring as casting a shadow on your face that flatters your best features, and hides problem areas like a double chin. A matte contour product works best if you're trying to add structure and dimension to your face. Pick between powder, cream and stick contour products. For a natural looking contour, use a shade that's about 2 shades darker than your actual skin tone.
Highlighting does exactly the opposite of what contouring does. You can highlight using a concealer that's one shade lighter than your skin tone or a powder highlighter. Pick a powder highlighter that has a natural sheen and not shimmer.
- You don't have any distinguished cheekbones or pointed edges along your face and chin.
- The length and width of your face are more or less the same.
- You have a rounded jaw line.
- You have a short forehead and chin.
The first step to contouring a round face is to define and carve out your features using a cream contour stick or a contouring powder. Remember to focus on the hollows of your cheeks, your hairline and the sides of your nose and chin. Use a fluffy brush to blend out your contour to avoid any harsh lines.
- Place your contour along the sides of your forehead and on your temples area. This will give it a chiselled look.
- To define your cheeks, add some contour along your cheekbones and temples. Start contouring in the line of your ear and drag it till the middle of your cheeks.
- If you want to give your nose a narrower look, add contour along the bridge of your nose
- Define your jawline by contouring along the edges and under your chin. This will give it a more slender look and effectively hide a double chin.
- If you want a sharper, more defined contour; apply some loose powder directly under your contour.
- Highlight the bridge of your nose, the tops of your cheekbones and under your brow bone with a powder highlighter. This will give your face a healthy glow and emphasize the areas of your face that naturally catch the light. It will also ensure that your face does not look flat and dull.
A bronzer usually has some kind of sheen or shimmer. It's used to give your face a sun-kissed glow and fake a healthy tan. If you have textured skin, shimmer can accentuate texture so use a matte bronzer. Bronzing your skin makes it look like you're just back from a beach vacation. It won't add any structure and dimension. If you want to sculpt and define your features, use a matte cream contouring stick and set it using a shimmery bronzer. This will give your face definition and light.
As mentioned earlier, contouring is the art of accentuating the shadows on your face with a darker toned powder/cream. This does not necessarily add a sunkissed glow to your face. You can use a bronzer as a contour powder in a pinch but it can't work the other way around.
L'Oreal Paris Glam Bronze Duo (Rs 850) is a great matte bronzer and highlighter duo that can be used to define and highlight your face.
Milani Baked Bronzer (Rs 1,125) has a subtle sheen that will give you the healthiest sun-kissed glow. Dust some along the perimeters of your face, collarbone and shoulders!
NYX Professional Makeup Wonder Stick (Rs 835) is great if you've mastered the art of contouring and want to take your sculpting skills to Kardashian levels!
A highlighter with a warm golden undertone works well for Indian and olive skin tones. Don't worry, you don't have to shell out major bucks to be 'lit AF'. Check out these affordable highlighters that will leave you glowing from within!
Wet n Wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder (Rs 499) is one of my all-time favourite affordable highlighters. I use this as a highlighter, eyeshadow and as a lip topper!
Nykaa Glow Getter Highlighting & Illuminating Duo (Rs 699) has two stunning highlighters that can be used alone or mixed together.
Makeup Revolution Pro Highlighter - Illuminate (Rs 850) is a warm golden highlighter that works on all Indian skin tones. You can use this one all over your body too.