I was putting my favourite black turtleneck on the other day, only to see that my hair was supremely attracted to my turtleneck as well. Yup, the static in my hair literally made my strands stick to the back of my sweater. Over the next four minutes, I'm gonna take you through why we actually have such a thing as static, and the best way to get rid of it!
To put it plainly, static electricity is created when two objects rub against each other, causing electrons to be passed from one to the other. The object that loses the electrons gets a positive charge, while the object that gains electrons get a negative charge. When it's humid (like most of the year), the charge just goes away. But come winter, the air gets drier, making your hair stick to your cheeks, sweater and everything else.
Worry not, we figured a few things to dial the electric down.
1. Avoid using a plastic comb.Turns out, it makes your hair more negative than it already is. We don't want that, do we? Stick to metal or wooden combs to dial down the static. I like The Body Shop Hairbrush (Rs 1,095) because it comes with bamboo tips and is super good to avoid both breakage and static.
2. Use hair oil. It's highly probable that you have static in your hair because it's dry or dehydrated. This is the right time to use a hair oil or a serum like Moroccan Frizz Control Oil (Rs 3,160). Give yourself a scalp massage on weekends or cheat like me, take a drop or two and apply it from root to tips.
3. Invest in an ionic hair dryer. Ionic dryers work by emitting negative ions to help separate water molecules. Not only does it dry your hair faster (bonus points), it also helps to heat damage which causes dryness in the first place. Try Corioliss Kompactissimo Ionic Hair Dryer (Rs 5,199).
4. Use a tail comb with a hairspray. This tip is super helpful to tame those flyaways. Just spritz on BBLUNT Blown Away, Volumizing Leave-In Spray (Rs 550) on a tail comb and run it through your hair. You're sorted!
5. Don't skip the conditioner. A great way to keep your hair hydrated and frizz-free is to use a leave-in conditioner. I've been using L'Oreal Professionnel Absolut Repair Lipidium Masque (Rs 690) these past few months at least twice a week. After you shampoo your hair, divide your hair in 2-4 sections and apply it thoroughly. Using a wide-tooth comb to make you distribute it evenly. Keep it on for 5-15 minutes and say hello to gorgeous hair!
I do hope these tips help you! Do share your secrets with us in the comments' section!
Sign in to POPxo World
India’s largest platform for women
Read. Watch. Shop. Hangout.
Sign up for POPxo World!
Sign in to see the latest in life-changing products, empowering stories and infinitely amusing videos!