If you live in India, chances are you’ve heard about the benefits of this amazing medicinal herb called fenugreek a.k.a., ‘methi dana’ in Hindi! These seeds are flat, yellowish-brown and have a somewhat bitter taste. Fenugreek leaves, seeds and powder are usually used in cooking, but they also have amazing health and beauty benefits. Most of its use in beauty and health remedies is in its raw and seed form.
Fenugreek is low in calories, rich in protein, fibre, fat, iron, manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin B6. It helps with numerous health and beauty benefits. It is known to help with diabetes, help induce labour, lower cholesterol, protect the liver and help with digestion among others.
Here are some of the benefits of fenugreek seeds!
1. Fenugreek seeds help prevent greying of hair. The seeds have certain properties that help the hair maintain its colour, and stop premature greying. Your mother and grandmothers have definitely used this remedy!
2. Fenugreek helps treat dandruff. Dandruff is caused by a dry, flaky scalp and fenugreek seeds have moisturising and anti-fungal properties. Usage will help moisturise the scalp and fight off any future fungal infections that cause dandruff and dermatitis.
3. Fenugreek seeds contain a hormone that helps prevents hair loss. They contain proteins and nicotinic acid that strengthen your hair. A mixture of coconut oil with some fenugreek seeds infused over a period of one month helps strengthen your hair follicle thereby preventing hair fall.
Here’s how you can make the methi infused oil:
Add the seeds to the coconut oil and store the jar away from sunlight for approximately 4 weeks. Strain the mixture and use this oil for weekly head massages.
4. A DIY hair mask using fenugreek seeds helps your hair look shiny and glossy. Here’s how you make the hair mask
1. It moisturises skin and wards off any fungal infections that cause acne and other skin woes. The diosgenin present in fenugreek has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. A face mask using fenugreek seeds and water applied to the face for 30 minutes has moisturizing properties that help keep dry and flaky skin at bay. A fenugreek toner keeps acne-causing bacteria away. Add a handful of fenugreek seeds to boiling water and simmer it for about 15 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool and store it in the refrigerator. Use this as a toner daily and watch those pimples fade away!
2. Helps with anti-ageing. A mixture of fenugreek seeds and yoghurt helps keep wrinkles and fine lines at bay. Soak some fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Take a tablespoon of yoghurt and grind the seeds to make a paste. Apply this for about 15-20 minutes once or twice a week and watch those fine lines fade away!
1. Fenugreek helps lower cholesterol especially the bad LDL levels in the body. It has flavonoids that lower lipid levels in patients suffering from high cholesterol.
2. Help reduce joint pain for patients suffering from Arthritis.
3. It helps people with digestive issues and stomach ulcers. It works as a natural lubricant for your stomach and soothes the intestines and the gastric tract.
4. Helps aid weight loss. Fenugreek seeds prevent the accumulation of fat in the body and improve your metabolism. Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of warm water. Drink this water on an empty stomach in the morning boosts weight loss. It helps keep you feeling full for longer too.
5. Improves the health of your kidneys and your liver. The flavonoids improve the functioning of your kidneys and prevent deterioration of cells. Fenugreek seeds are also capable of reversing any damage alcohol causes to your liver.
6. The consumption of fenugreek powder during periods helps to alleviate menstrual cramps and other symptoms associated with menstruation like headaches and nausea.
7. Fenugreek is very helpful in increasing the production of breast milk in lactating women. The phytoestrogen contained in the herb increases the supply of breast milk in mothers and also helps children gain weight.
8. The oil extracted from the fenugreek seeds helps fight cancer.
9. Helps control blood sugar and decreases insulin resistance in Diabetic patients.
10. Fenugreek seeds are known to have positive effects on cardiovascular health.