If you live in India, chances are you’ve heard about the benefits of this amazing medicinal herb called fenugreek a.k.a. ‘methi dana’ in Hindi! These seeds are flat, yellowish-brown and have a somewhat bitter taste. Fenugreek leaves, seeds and powder are usually used in cooking, but they also have amazing health and beauty benefits. Most of its use in beauty and health remedies is in its raw form.
Fenugreek seeds are supremely nutritious. It is a popular condiment and ingredient in Indian spices. It has medicinal properties and has been the favourite of all Yogis when it comes to Ayurvedic medicines.
1. Fenugreek extracts can be found in soaps and cosmetics.
2. Dried or fresh fenugreek leaves are used as a herb.
3. Fenugreek seeds are used in spices.
Whether whole or powdered, fenugreek seeds are used in the preparation of pickles, vegetable dishes, dal and spice mixes. They are often roasted to reduce bitterness and enhance flavour in cooking.
Fenugreek is low in calories, rich in protein, fiber, fat, iron, manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin B6. It helps with numerous benefits for hair, skin and health. It is known to help with diabetes, help induce labour, lower cholesterol, protect the liver and help with digestion among others. Here are some of the benefits of fenugreek seeds! Time to take notes.
1. Fenugreek seeds help prevent greying of hair. The seeds have certain properties that help the hair maintain its colour, and stop premature greying. Your mother and grandmothers have definitely used this remedy!
2. Fenugreek seeds have certain minerals and vitamins that help treat dandruff. Dandruff is caused by a dry, flaky scalp and fenugreek seeds have moisturising and anti-fungal properties. Usage will help moisturise the scalp and fight off any future fungal infections that cause dandruff and dermatitis. You can make a hair pack that will help treat your flaky scalp. Crush the fenugreek seeds and soak the seeds overnight in hot water. Strain the mixture, and use the water to rinse your hair in the morning then shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo.
3. Fenugreek seeds contain a hormone that helps prevents hair loss. They contain proteins and nicotinic acid that strengthen your hair. A mixture of coconut oil with some fenugreek seeds infused over a period of one month helps strengthen your hair follicle thereby preventing hair fall.
Here’s how you can make the methi infused oil:
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds
- A bowl full of coconut oil
- A glass jar
Add the seeds to the coconut oil and store the jar away from sunlight for approximately 4 weeks. Strain the mixture and use this oil for weekly head massages.
4. A DIY hair mask using fenugreek seeds helps your hair look shiny and glossy. Here’s how you make the hair mask.
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in some warm water overnight.
- Grind the seeds into a paste and apply to your roots and hair and keep it on for 30 minutes
AWESOME NEWS! POPxo SHOP is now Open! Get 25% off on all the super fun mugs, phone covers, cushions, laptop sleeves, and more! Use coupon code POPXOFIRST. Online shopping for women never looked better!
You Might Like These