Coconut water is definitely one of the underrated health and beauty elixirs. While coconut oil has been everywhere this year, this one is slowly catching up. Since I'm a tropical bum at heart, a big old glass of coconut water leaves me hydrated, happy and a little less nutty in the AM. No matter how chirpy you are, living in Bombay and commuting on the local train definitely does take a toll on those endorphins. Sippin’ on some sweet nariyal paani, (at my least favourite Lower Parel station) is how I choose to begin my daily hustle and bustle! While you may not be addicted to this sweet tonic (just yet), by the end of this post… I’m am ready to bet, you will be!
Drinking coconut water has many skin, hair and health benefits. Let’s jump in!
Skin Benefits Of Coconut Water
- It heals skin infections and inflammation
- Helps with anti-ageing
- Clears up acne scars, blemishes and any pigmentation
- Moisturises the skin
- Cures skin eczema
- Helps correct skin damage and fades a suntan
- It is an excellent skin toner that helps your nourish your skin, heal inflammation and imparts a natural glow
Hair Benefits Of Coconut Water
1. A coconut water hair rinse gives your hair an unmatched shine and doubles up as a damage reversal conditioner for those who have extremely damaged locks. A mixture of coconut water, honey and yoghurt make for an amazing DIY hair mask!
2. It helps control dandruff when massaged on the scalp. Leave it on for an hour and wash it off. You could do this once a week.
3. It helps prevent hair loss and promotes hair growth. Drinking coconut water regularly stimulates the hair follicle and boosts hair growth.
Health Benefits Of Coconut Water
- It reduces bloating and improves your digestion. Coconut water reduces the sodium present in our bodies that is responsible for bloating and gas, it also is rich in fibre so it gives a boost to your digestion.
- It is one of the best cures for dehydration and hangovers too. It replenishes the lost nutrients your body needs.
- It has a significant amount of calcium and magnesium that strengthen your bones.
- Athletes drink coconut water after a long workout to replenish their body of electrolytes. Since coconut water is a source of potassium, sodium, magnesium, and calcium, it provides you with the energy your body needs after a workout.
- Coconut water balances the pH levels in your body and also helps with acidity and heartburn. It has an alkalizing effect on your body which helps relieve symptoms of acidity and heartburn.
- It aids weight loss. Drinking coconut water helps you feel full for longer due to its high fibre content. It is a great replacement for sugary aerated drinks! Since it keeps you feeling full for longer, you tend to eat less.
- It lowers blood pressure, hypertension and cholesterol.
- It is great for days when you want to detox. It helps flush out toxins from your system.
- Coconut water is great for diarrhoea. It is high in (all the good) sugars and amino acids which makes it perfect to replace all the fluids your body loses during diarrhoea.
- It helps reduce the frequency of migraine attacks in migraine patients. Coconut water is rich in magnesium and it helps keep you hydrated, thereby helping people with migraines and headaches.
- It prevents kidney stones. Kidney stones occur due to an accumulation of crystals in your kidneys that don’t get flushed out through the normal process of urine. Drinking coconut water helps reduce this crystal formation thereby preventing kidney stones.
- It boosts your immunity and also helps fight depression. There is 2.4 gm of Vitamin C present in every 100 ml of coconut water making it an extremely beneficial immunity booster against the common cold and cough. The magnesium in coconut water helps treat depression. Research shows that people who suffer from depression benefit from the intake of magnesium.
- Helps with anti-ageing. Coconut water is rich in antioxidants, and you already know how essential those antioxidants are for wrinkle-free skin.
- It helps with constipation. Since coconut water is so rich in fibre, it can be considered to be a natural laxative. It ensures smooth bowel movements and people who regularly suffer from constipation should drink this first thing in the morning to reap maximum benefits!
- Coconut water is beneficial for pregnant women and babies too. It alleviates concerns associated with pregnancy like cramps, moodiness, dehydration, nausea among others.
- Coconut water helps speed up recovery in cancer patients who have been exposed to chemotherapy. Coconut water helps restore the WBC, ANC, haemoglobin, and platelets count in your body.
And you thought coconut oil was the only good thing about coconuts! You don't believe it do you? Have you found yourself a nariyal paani bhaiya yet?