Junior Beauty Editor
All those champis, staying miles away from the hairstylist’s scissors, haircare weekends… We know it takes a lot to grow out your hair! And once you’re there, and have a hair length that others are envious of, the challenge is to make it look healthy and stylish at all times. Whoever said beauty comes at a price, was SO right! The struggle is real, and so, we present to you an all-inclusive guide to haircuts for long hair, long hairstyles and mane care routines, et al! Have a look so that your long mane game is on-point always!
Show me a girl who couldn’t help but lust after Jennifer Aniston’s hair in F.R.I.E.N.D.S! Even her simple long hair showed us how flattering long layers can be. Keep your layers long, they should begin at your chin and shoulder - it’s a cut that flatters any hair texture and face shape.
Long hair has a tendency to fall flat because the length weighs it down. Layers around your crown and chin length help add plenty of volume on top. With a cut like this, you can also backcomb your crown for gorgeous bouffant-like volume that’s so retro-esque.
A statement fringe is perfect for changing up a boring look instantly. If you don’t want to flat iron your bangs all the time, don’t worry, texturized bangs are totally doable too. So scrunch them to be totally on trend and never run the risk of looking boring again!
Heavy layers around the face and just a few at the back is super flattering, especially if you have fine hair as it brings plenty of weight and volume to otherwise wispy strands. The best part about face-framing layers is that you can place them strategically to flatter your face shape. For an oval and heart-shaped face, they should start at the cheekbones, for a square shape they should start above them, and for a round face, below the cheekbones.
Love the slightly messy, straight-out-of bed look? We do too! It’s sexy and has an effortless charm to it. For the trendy bed head look, talk to your stylist about choppy, rough layers. These are unlike regular layers that blend in seamlessly with the rest of your strands. Ask her to texturize the ends for loads of movement as well. It’s an edgier style and looks great on wavy locks.
Really want cascading, Rapunzel-like locks? Then hair that is mostly one length - except for a few layers around the face - is the trick. This looks best on medium thick hair; avoid it if you have fine hair as it runs the risk of looking too limp. Tapered ends are also a great idea to keep it from looking too heavy.
Want voluminous, natural curls? You need beautifully blended round layers across your head. They should be in the middle, that’s where the majority of the volume should be; definitely not on top but from the mid-lengths to ends. This is perfect for wild curls that are oh-so-gorgeous.
No one does the high ponytail better than Ariana Grande. It’s been her iconic hairstyle for years and we think she slays every time she puts up a picture of herself on Instagram. How do you re-create it? Straighten your long mane, pull it back and tie it up. You can also personalize the ponytail by braiding the front or using a chunky hair cuff to add that oomph factor.
Deepika Padukone sporting the classic low looped bun at the Met Gala will give you some serious hair goals, ladies. In fact, the bun looks as stunning as the extravagant updo. The starry pins on her hair make her look like a princess. Whether you choose to accessorize it or keep it minimal, both ways work.
VJ Anusha looks like such a doll with the French braided half bun. The hairstyle not only makes her outfit look chic but also suits her dynamic personality. To ace this style, start by dividing a section of hair from the corners of the forehead towards the back of the crown. Then, do a Dutch braid till the back of the head and finish it off with a messy bun. Yes, it really is as simple as that!
3 tiered pony tail for @kritisanon in #Ahmedabad today Makeup @makeupbyadrianjacobs Styled by @sukritigrover #kritisanon #bollywood #actress #hair #hairvideo #hairtutorial #hairdo #hairstyle #hairstylist #hairspo #haircut #haircolor #hairtransformation #softwaves #haircut #hairstyles #hairextensions #hairfashion #hairsalon #makeup #makeupartist #makeuptutorial #makeupartistindia #haironfleek #haircolor #hairspo #hairgoals #waterfall #twist #hairextensions #hairdressing #hairbrained
Take a cue from Kriti Sanon’s bubble ponytail! It’s neat, stylish and looks absolutely fabulous on her. You too can replicate the exact hairstyle by first tying your hair up into a ponytail. Then, take a small section from the top center of the ponytail and put an elastic band around it. Then keep an inch distance from the pony and tie another elastic band around your hair. Once that’s done, gently tuck the sides of it to puff it up. Use sections from each side of the ponytail to replicate and follow the same process till you reach the end of your hair - and voila! It’s done.
Doesn’t Gigi Hadid look like such a stunner with her hair slicked-back? As difficult as it looks, you can pull it off with ease once you know how to do it. Before blow drying your mane, use a hairspray. Then, use a small boar-bristle brush to blow dry your hair up to add volume to the crown. Use bobby pins to pin back the sides and there you have it!
Beauty by @namratasoni in @lorealmakeup Lips - Color Riche Moist Mat Blaze of Red, Face- True match Lumi powder highlighter in gold, Eyes: SIlkissime eye liner in cobalt blue, La Palette Gold and Volume Million Lashes mascara HAIR @dayaruci @lorealhair #Elnett #lifeatcannes #sonamatcannes
Why use a hairband when you can make one using your hair? Similar to Sonam Kapoor’s hairstyle, you too can start by taking a section of hair from the nape and braid it up. After that, wrap it around the top of your head all the way to the other side. Use bobby pins to secure it and lock it in place.
A sleek pushed-back front makes Rihanna look like a goddess. If you too have curls similar to RiRi’s, then this style is perfect for you. Curls left to run wild and free at the back will ensure that you fetch a bunch of new admirers. You’ve got to try it to believe it, we say.
If you have poker straight hair and love ponytails, make sure to try the side-parted one. The hairstyle itself looks graceful and neat when paired with a flowy gown or an off shoulder dress. Just how it looks on Jacqueline Fernandez, imagine how beautiful it would look on you?! Start by making a side partition and then apply a generous amount of gel to your front and a comb to smoothen your hair out. Then, use an elastic band to tie your ponytail.
You know what will never go out a vogue? Braided pigtails! Take Selena Gomez’s hairstyle, for example, it’s the bomb! Within a few minutes, you too can achieve the exact same look. Begin by dividing your hair into two halves. Do a top Dutch braid on both sides and don’t forget to use elastic bands to secure your hair.
Today promotions ! Outfit @nimishshift @accessorizeindiaofficial Styled by @tanghavri assisted by @nidhijeswani make up & hair @shraddha.naik @florianhurelmakeupandhair managed by @parinaparekh #DreamTeam ❤️
Loose beach waves tied to one side give off an effortlessly chic vibe. A beauty like Shraddha Kapoor rocks this hairdo to perfection! When tying the elastic band from the side, keep it loose from the crown and let your locks flow to the side naturally. If you have sleek and thin hair, you can use a blow dryer to fluff it up.
1. Know your hair type. It is imperative that you know exactly what your hair type is. While you know it is long, it is better if you know your woes so they can be treated and you can pick the right products.
2. Embrace the natural texture of your hair. Trust us, you will have healthier locks because of the sheer lack of styling and heat torture.
3. Take a break from the heat. If you can, occasionally leave your hair in its natural state with some mild conditioning products so it can regain its strength. The days when you don’t have anywhere to be, avoid the heat completely.
4. Invest in good products and tools. Just make sure you buy the right products for your hair and that even the heat tools are of good quality and do not damage your hair as much.
5. Avoid excess shampooing. Make dry shampoo your best friend. Shampooing your hair a lot strips it of its natural oils and for girls with long tresses, it is absolutely not good. Ideally try and keep washing your hair in between 2-3 times a week, 3 if you absolutely NEED to.
6. Switch your hair products. Okay, the season is a real thing and your hair reacts to different seasons in different ways. So make sure you switch up your products regularly according to your hair type for each season. This helps.
7. Steer away from chemical treatments. Be it permanent straightening or colour, chemicals often cause hair fall and thinning. Do it only if you must, only after being thoroughly aware of it.
8. Get a trim after 40-60 days: Okay seriously, we know how much the scissor scares us. Especially when the hairstylist’s inch is an entire foot that took you months to grow, we get it! But you HAVE to get regular trims. No, not because myths say it helps hair grow faster but the haircuts get rid of the frizz and split ends, and that keeps your locks healthy.
1. Hair mask/pack: Once a week, you should either oil your hair, use a hair mask or a DIY hair pack and apply it either before you shampoo or overnight. If it is a night mask or hair oil, you can cover your hair up in a head wrap or shower cap and let it do its magic overnight and rinse it in the morning.
POPxo recommends: Mamaearth Argan Hair Mask (Rs 599); Kama Ayurveda Bringadi Intensive Hair Treatment Oil (Rs 575)
2. Shampoo: Use a strengthening shampoo and conditioner or a colour sensitive one if you have coloured hair. While shampooing, make sure you don’t tangle up your hair. Simply wash it straight down. Another trick is to brush through your hair before you wash it, that minimizes tangles and breakage. Focus the shampoo on the roots and the conditioner on the ends. If your hair has really damaged ends, then do a rinse with conditioner before you shampoo (also known as the reverse shampoo method).
POPxo recommends: Wella Professionals Resist Strengthening Shampoo For Vulnerable Hair (Rs 575); Organix Strength & Body + Bamboo Fiber-Full Conditioner (Rs 689); Kiehl's Sunflower Color Preserving Conditioner (Rs 1,700)
3. Leave-in and detangle: Step out of the shower and use an old T-shirt or a non-cotton towel to pat your hair dry, do not scrub through the hair roughly. After that, immediately apply some leave-in conditioner and detangle. Use a tangle teaser or a wide tooth comb or wed brush again to minimise breakage.
POPxo recommends: BBLUNT Climate Control, Anti-Frizz Leave-In Cream (Rs 425); Vega De-Tangling Comb (Rs 70); Tangle Teezer Limited Edition Pug Love Compact Styler Detangling Brush (Rs 1,350)
4. Another leave-in: After brushing through your hair thoroughly, pat it dry with a towel and apply Moroccan oil to the ends for added shine.
POPxo recommends: Moroccanoil Treatment (Rs 2,880)
5. Dry or blow dry: Either put your hair up in a head wrap or let it air dry to about 70-80% before blow drying it. If you’re using heat styling tools, make it a point to use a heat protectant spray or mousse after your hair is 80% dry and then blow dry.
POPxo recommends: Remington AC8000 Keratin Therapy Pro Dryer (Rs 7,895); Wella Professionals EIMI Thermal Image Heat Protection Spray (Rs 675)
Avocados aren’t just an exotic fruit lying around in your vegetable tray! These magnificent babies can work miracles when they come in contact with your mane. If you have dull and dry hair, avocados are a perfect choice! They keep your hair silky smooth and hydrated.
Step 1 - Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and dump it into a big bowl.
Step 2 - Using a thick wooden spoon, mash it up.
Step 3 - Add about half a cup of milk and a tablespoon of rich almond oil.
Step 4 - Now, give all the ingredients a good mix and apply it to your hair.
Step 5 - Let it rest for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
Pollution, dust, heat and products giving your mane a hard time? Sometimes all it needs is a little bit of yogurt! Yogurt as a beauty ingredient nourishes your hair from the roots, gives it a smooth texture and, as a bonus, a beautiful sheen.
Step 1 - Empty two scoops of yogurt into a bowl.
Step 2 - Apply it to your hair and massage your scalp well.
Step 3 - Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
Step 4 - After washing all the yoghurt off, apply your regular shampoo.
Step 5 - Then, rinse the shampoo from your hair with lukewarm water.
Eggs are extremely beneficial to your body and hair. The sticky yellowish-white substance offers deep nourishment for your roots and repairs hair damage. It also makes your hair glossy and thick!
Step 1 - In a glass container, beat 2 eggs.
Step 2 - Pour a cup of milk, add a teaspoon of olive oil and a dash of lemon juice.
Step 3 - Mix all the ingredients well.
Step 4 - Use a thick brush to apply it to your hair.
Step 5 - Let the mask set for 10-15 minutes.
Step 6 - Wash it off using cold water, and shampoo afterwards.
Ever wondered why bananas make a good hair mask? We’ll tell you! Bananas are rich in potassium and vitamins A, E and C. These nutrients are extremely important for healthy and glossy hair growth. It also regulates your scalp’s oil production and gives your hair the smooth texture it deserves.
Step 1 - Toss 2 peeled bananas into a blender.
Step 2 - Using a spoon, scoop out the pulp and empty it into a glass bowl.
Step 3 - Now, add a tablespoon of coconut oil and honey.
Step 4 - Dip the tips of your fingers into the mix and apply it on your scalp.
Step 5 - Keep it there for 5-10 minutes and wash it off with chilled water.
Oatmeal is not only a healthy snack for your tummy, it’s also healthy for your hair. If you suffer from an itchy scalp or frizzy hair, oatmeal therapy is what you need ASAP!
Step 1 - Into a bowl, add a tablespoon of oatmeal.
Step 2 - Add chilled milk and almond oil to this.
Step 3 - Stir it all up and apply it on your scalp.
Step 4 - Let it sit there for 10-15 minutes.
Step 5 - Wash it off with lukewarm water.
For damaged and dry hair, coconut does a FAB job. It makes your roots strong and provides nourishment to your hair. It also makes your hair glossy and less prone to hair fall.
Step 1 - Pour 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a bowl.
Step 2 - Add a tablespoon of rich almond oil.
Step 3 - Mix well and apply it to your hair.
Step 4 - Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
Step 5 - Rinse it off with cold water.
Honey not only keeps your scalp healthy but hydrates it as well. It also nourishes and prevents hair from breaking and falling.
Step 1: Crack one egg and pour the yolk into a bowl.
Step 2: Add a teaspoon of castor oil and 2 tablespoons of honey to the mix.
Step 3: Blend all the ingredients well.
Step 4: Apply the mask to your scalp first and make your way from the roots to the ends.
Step 5: Wait for an hour and wash your hair using a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
Strawberries will cleanse the pores on your scalp and make your hair shine!
Step 1: Take a handful of fresh strawberries and blend them in a mixer.
Step 2: Scoop out the grainy paste and empty it into a bowl.
Step 3: Add 1 teaspoon of almond oil to the paste and mix well using a spoon.
Step 4: Apply it to your scalp and roots and leave it on for a good 1 hour.
Step 6: Wash it off with chilled water after.
Did you know that green tea is as good for your hair as it is for your skin? Rich in antioxidants and proteins, green tea helps nourish the scalp and hair.
Step 1: Take the yolk of an egg and whisk it till it becomes frothy.
Step 2: Add 2 tablespoons of green tea to the bowl.
Step 3: Apply to your strands and let it stay on for an hour and a half.
Step 4: Wash it off with cold water.
Since it’s rich in proteins, it repairs damaged hair and also protects the scalp. More reasons to fall in love with castor oil!
Step 1: Add 3 tablespoons of castor oil to a bowl.
Step 2: A few drops of olive oil and a tablespoon of brandy.
Step 3: Mix all the ingredients well and apply from the roots till the ends.
Step 4: Sit back and relax for 20-30 minutes.
Flaunt your long hair, because you’re gorgeous! *hair flip*
Sign in to POPxo World
India’s largest platform for women
Read. Watch. Shop. Hangout.
Sign up for POPxo World!
Sign in to see the latest in life-changing products, empowering stories and infinitely amusing videos!