Lifestyle & Beauty Writer
Our 20s are a decade of transitions. We’re no longer kids living with parents, but now making our own money, and finding our feet at work. We’re also starting to explore the world of dating as a grown-up, as against perhaps how we may have dated in our teens. And strangely, it’s even more confusing now than back then. So we thought we’d put together everything we’ve learnt about dating in our 20s, so you know what to look out for!
1. If a guy is into you, he will do whatever it takes to be with you. In your late 20s, you’ll realize that the film, He’s Just Not That Into You, starts to make a lot of sense. Instead of finding ways to get his attention, the best thing to do sometimes is to take a step back and let him make a move.
2. Online dating is going to be a pool full of new opportunities. You may meet some creeps along the way, but if you’re lucky, you may just bump into your soulmate!
3. Yep, your friends are going to get hitched sooner than you know it. To make matters even more complicated, when you call them, they’re always going to be busy with bae. Which means, you’ll hardly get to meet and chill with them like old times. *sigh*
4. And then, there’s the fear of commitment. No matter how much you love your boyfriend, the thought of commitment and getting married will suddenly hit you like a tsunami.
5. ‘Beta, shaadi kab karoge?’ will soon become your everyday reality. The next time some annoying aunty asks you about it, make it a point to show her THIS!
6. If you’re already in a serious relationship, at times, you’ll start to miss and appreciate singlehood. But girl, the grass is always greener on the other side, no?
7. Your taste in men will gradually change in your late 20s. You’re unlikely to settle for f*ckboys and will want to be in a relationship with a man who is focused, independent and emotionally stable. After all, you do deserve the best in life!
8. In college your relationship would always be over Facebook. You’d want the world to know that the two of you are the coolest and cutest couple out there. However in your 20s, there’s a sudden shift. You begin to treat your relationship as a private affair and you stop craving for social media approval.
9. Ladies, this is going to be a hard pill for you to swallow, because not everyone is going to be happy for your new found love. Apart from family and a few friends, the world knows that finding love is rarer than spotting a shooting star. And trust us, you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
10. Every man you meet in your 20s will demand a different version of you. Stepping out from your comfort zone is going to open many doors for you in the game of love. Your best bet is to take chances, don’t think too much and go with the flow. Life is about to surprise you!
11. Once your relationship matures, there will come a time when you’ll look forward into planning a future with your boyfriend. No, this won’t be peer or family pressure, you’ll genuinely look forward to spending the rest of your life with him.
12. While settling becomes an easier choice as you get older, you shouldn’t fall victim to it. Fall in love with someone who is understanding, sensitive and kind. Someone who treats you like an equal and makes you feel warm in their company. And one last thing, fall in love when you’re ready.
13. When a relationship is not working, it’s okay to let go. Try not to let your emotions get the best of you, and know when to stand your ground. Your 20s will teach you how to treat yourself with love and respect...but at the cost of meeting a few toads along the way, of course.
14. Remember when you were in college, you used to ask your friends for relationship advice? Well, ALL that will change in your 20s. You’ll start to trust your own gut while making important decisions and that itself will save you from all the unnecessary drama out there.
15. You’ll realize how important space is as you evolve in life. No more will you find the need to cling to your partner every single minute of the day and bombard them with a 100 odd whatsapp messages. You’ll begin to find content and solace in both your relationship and some alone time.
16. Exes come and go. When you’re in your teens, getting over them may seem like an impossible hurdle. When you reach your 20s, you’ll realize that none of it really matters. The awkwardness dies out and you’ll be able to accept the past with grace.
17. Attending functions alone will get awkward. After all, relatives want the scoop about your love life and there’s always going to be that one aunty who’s looking out for a nice ‘ladka’ for you. So what if you haven’t found anyone yet? You still have your best friends who get your kind of crazy. That’s all that matters in this moment.
18. If love is hard, then it probably isn’t love at all. Sure love comes with its own share of ups and downs, but if it leaves you feeling drained and cheated at the end of it, it isn’t worth it. You deserve the kind of love that uplifts your being and makes you feel whole on the inside.
19. Some say that people date smarter as they get older. That’s not always the case. In your 20s, your friends and you are going to make some silly mistakes, kiss a few strangers and date a bunch of goofballs. Look on the brighter side though, you’ll have so many amusing stories to tell when you’re older!
20. And last but not the least, it’s okay to be scared in love. We all are! But that’s the beauty of falling in love in the first place. Don’t give up on love if it hasn’t knocked on your door yet. Be patient and do your own thing. When cupid is ready, he’ll point his arrow straight at you. (And we heard that he never misses *wink*)
Sign in to POPxo World
India’s largest platform for women
Read. Watch. Shop. Hangout.
Sign up for POPxo World!