10 *Bra* Facts That Will Totally Blow. Your. Mind!!
If there is one constant relationship that we girls have, it’s our love-hate one with bras. Underwires, hooks and itchy straps - we all know that the struggle is unbelievably real. Though they are an unavoidable part of our lives, we bet there are a lot of things you don’t know about them. And so, we are here with some mind boggling bra facts that will definitely amaze you!
1. Your bra size will change 6 times on an average, over a lifetime.
Just in case you were complaining about getting fitted for the third time, remember there are approximately 3 more reps to go!
2. The most expensive bra in the world is Victoria’s Secret’s $15 million fantasy bra!
Whoaaa... People are dressing up their boobs in diamonds and rubies and I’m still here like, ‘Mom, can I please get money for pizza?’
3. Hong Kong's Polytechnic University offers its students a major in bra studies!
The subject is called ‘Intimate Textiles and Accessories’. That’s one ‘uplifting course’ right? Now imagine telling your parents you want to be a lingerie designer… *awkward silence*
4. The Greeks did it first!
Yes ladies, the Greeks are to be blamed for our forever boob misery or applauded for all the support our breasts get - however you want to see it! The funny part is, ancient greek women wore bras and corsets that supported yet exposed their breasts.
5. Cup sizes were introduced in 1920 by a couple who wanted to transform bras.
Earlier, all women wore the same style bras, sans the cup. It was not until the 1920's that a husband and wife team began designing them cup sizes for a better fit! *Bows down and thanks God*
6. The first sports bra was invented in 1970’s out of two jock straps! *Disgusted*
The first sports bra was made by combining two jockstraps together as a woman athlete complained of discomfort while exercising. For those of you who couldn’t identify the reason for our disgust, a jockstrap is an undergarment worn by male athletes to support their man parts.
7. In early 1900’s bras were called ‘bust bodices’ or ‘BBs’
We are so glad this name didn’t stick around! Just imagine telling your friend, ‘Hey, I went ‘bust bodice’ shopping and got a super sexy BB for myself.’ #epicfail
8. The average bust size today is 36C, which has increased from a 34B over the past 15 years!
If we were to map this on a graph, we are sure it would make a stunning ‘curve’. That’s one steady growth, as we call it! ;)
9. First bras were made of two handkerchiefs and pink ribbons stitched together!
Mary Phelps Jacobs created a bra for herself by stitching two handkerchiefs together, using two pink ribbons as the straps because corsets were making her evening ball outfits look bulky.
TOO much creativity, we must say!
10. On an average, 4 million bras are produced everyday!
Only two boobs, but so many bras to choose from. How difficult can life get! *sigh*
GIFs: Giphy, Tumblr
Published on Jan 9, 2017