Now that you are engaged, it's easy to get drowned in a sea of thoughts that involve wedding budgets, guests, the lehenga, trousseau, colour schemes, and venue. No doubt about that - a wedding is a big deal but you must also focus on the bigger picture - marriage. Now is a good time to think about your happily ever after and what better place than to find that in words. Here are 12 books that beautifully illustrate love and life.
1. Pride And Prejudice by Jane AustenIt's a classic. Most girls would have read this even before getting engaged but hey, it's worth a re-read before you tie the knot. Because that's what marriages are all about - putting your ego on the back burner all your life.Price: Rs 188. Buy it here.
2. The 5 Love Languages: The Secret To Love That Lasts by Gary D. ChapmanThe author's sense of humour is present throughout the book and that's what makes it a breezy read. The best part is that it'll make you understand you and your partner's language of love. Packed with great info on relationships, you can keep reading this over and over again.Price: Rs 733. Buy it here.
3. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García MárquezA magnificent read, infused with poetry and magical realism, the words will make you weep. But this story about love, obsession, and separation is for all those romantics who have a well defined idea of love. This one may want you to rethink it.Price: Rs 269. Buy it here.
4. The Prophet by Kahlil GibranWritten almost a century ago, the book is a timeless collection of inspirational, poetic essays that will guide you at every stage of your life, especially marriage. You could frame a few verses from it and gift it to your fiance as well.Price: Rs 76. Buy it here.
5. The History Of Love by Nicole KraussThis book is about love, loss, struggle, failure and survival. And it'll leave you in tears but it will also show you that you need to give love a chance, come what may.Price: Rs 368. Buy it here.
6. Love Is A Mix Tape by Rob SheffieldThe interesting title says it all. This is the story about a relationship being shaped by music. It shows you how music truly has the ability to heal your heart, especially when a relationship tragically ends. Beautiful, it will make you want to cry like a baby!Price: Rs 626. Buy it here.
7. Waltzing The Cat by Pam HoustonFunny title but honestly, this book is a collection of short stories about women who are independent and fearless. It will compel you to take a road trip, or do something really crazy before you say I do.Price: Rs 854. Buy it here.
8. The Edible Woman by Margaret AtwoodThis one is a reminder of how not to let ANYONE take over your life. Marriage is beautiful but at the same time it is important that you do not lose yourself in the process.Price: Rs 439. Buy it here.
9. The Notebook by Nicholas SparksA true classic! This story of love and passion, and about how relationships can often be difficult to understand - this book will leave you mesmerised. And there's a lot in it to take notes from. Read it, even if you have watched the movie before.Price: Rs 245. Buy it here.
10. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth GilbertEven though this one is about a failed marriage but the lessons it contains will help you take charge of yourself and your life, come what may.Price: Rs 275. Buy it here.
11. The Happiness Project by Gretchen RubinThe book documents the year the author spent finding various sources of happiness including the little things about marriage and life in general. Perfect to read before embarking on a new life journey.Price: Rs 319. Buy it here.
12. Shopaholic Ties The Knot by Sophie KinsellaThis super fun and quick read will help you deal with the pre-wedding chaos and madness. It will help if you've read the previous books in the series but it's a nice one on its own as well.Price: Rs 169. Buy it here.
Which one are you picking first?!