Friends, experiments and experiences - college life is so exciting! So why should your wardrobe not match up to the fun? You should be your gorgeous best in college, free spirited and untamed. This is probably the only time when you can experiment freely with your choices and find your individual style. So, we bring to you these 11 fashion trends that you should definitely try in college!
1. Hey Bodysuits!
If you want that perfect flattering fit, then it’s time you should ditch your casual tops for bodysuits. They work really well when styled with almost anything, be it skirts or jeans. And here’s an added perk - you can say goodbye to the underwear peek-a-boo! :P
Popxo Recommends: Koovs Scoop Back Bodysuit (Rs 695)
2. Dress It, Over A Skirt!
Image: Sonam Kapoor on Instagram
You love dresses. You love skirts. So, why not love them together? Yes girls, the dress over skirt trend is a rage this season. And it is not some bizarre fashion trend that only slender models can pull off. It is very comfortable ( you can wear it to college) and easy to put together. You can nail the look by following a few tips:
- If you are a beginner, start with A-line or shirt dresses. They are the easiest to pair up with long skirts.
- If your dress is printed, choose a skirt in a contrasting solid colour. Ethnic prints are the most flattering ones.
- Fitted dresses are a no-no.
- Also, prefer going with flared or ghagra skirts. They usually look flattering with all kinds of dresses. Once you’re a pro, you can start experimenting with fitted maxi skirts as well.
Add silver junk jewellery and kolhapuris to complete the look.
Banjaran accessories have been a rage lately. Everyone has been sporting them, including all the celebrities as well as the bloggers. They are too gorgeous to not try. Neckpieces, bangles, maang-tikas, earrings...everything is available. And plus, you can sport them with both Indian and western outfits. A striking accessory like this can perk up a simple white tee and jeans ensemble perfectly. Win-Win!
Popxo Recommends: Banjara Kuchi Choker (Rs 1,917)
3. Bring Out That Banjaran
4. Wear That Shirt, The Reverse Way!
Image: Kritika Khurana on Instagram
This might seem funny once you try to imagine wearing a shirt the other side around, but trust us, you can look amazingly hot just by following a few tips. After all, what’s fashion without the fun!
Popxo Recommends: Blue Alina Blouse (Rs 749)
- Choose a shirt that DOES NOT have the collar stays. For those of you who have no idea what collar stays/ sticks are - they are plastic (usually) panels put inside collars to keep them firm.
- Opt for Chinese collars or collar less shirts.
- Tie up the ends of the shirt in a knot from the backside. It looks more flattering.
- Opt for loose or boyfriend shirts.
5. Rips And Patches
Ripped denims aren’t the only rage, now it’s time for some cute patches and badges on your jeans too. From bananas to cute cartoons, patchworks have taken every form and are so cute that it’s really hard to resist them. If you are a resident of the DIY world, then you can easily find cute patches that are available. All you need to do is find the one you like and stitch/ paste on your jeans.
Popxo Recommends: Liquour 'N' Poker Novelty Patch Denim Jeans (Rs 3,495)
6. Palazzo Pants
Image: Ami Patel on Instagram
Did anyone say comfort? Because that’s exactly what this trend is about. No amount of praise is enough for the versatility that this piece of clothing holds. Tops, shirts, crop tops, kurtas, you just name it and it can be paired up with palazzo pants. Plus, they’re way comfier and breezier than your skinny jeans. You get to stay fashionable and feel comfy at the same time. What else do you need?!
Popxo Recommends: First & I Tile Print Wide Pants (Rs 450)
7. Flowy Kimonos
We’ve been in love with them since before Katrina rocked them in Sau Asmaan. Kimonos are the true ‘multipurpose’ pieces of any fashion wardrobe. You can wear them as a third piece or a statement piece, they will work always. There are innumerable ways you can pair them up. From shorts and crop tops to jeans to t-shirts, they are a trend that every college girl must try. They can also work as a cover up for your college outfits, if you have a dress-code restriction.
Popxo Recommends: Orous Women’s Shrug (Rs 479)
Image: Deepika Padukone on Instagram
This trend speaks volumes about itself with the number of people donning it. It is versatile and looks good on everyone.You can choose from various options including off shoulder dresses, tops and crop tops. Also, it’s comfortable so you can easily wear it to your college too!
Popxo Recommends: Navy Bardot Sleeve Crop Top (Rs 560)
9. Print-on-Print, Peeps!
This is one trend that should be on your fashion bucket-list. Matching and pairing different prints can be a lot of fun. And you’ll look amazing too! Keep in mind the following tips for nailing the print on print trend:
Popxo Recommends: Merritt Co-ords (Rs 1,649)
- The easiest tip is to choose colours that come from the same pallette. (For example, if you choose blue, then pick different tones of blue. The key is to match colours and not prints. Choose colours that compliment each other.)
- Mix textures and shapes and also the fabrics.
- If you choose a bold print, then balance it out with solid neutrals.
- The easiest way to rock the print on print trend is with matching co-ords.
10. Pom-Poms And Tassels
Image: Jacqueline Fernandes on Instagram
Nothing speaks bohemian better than pom-poms and tassels. Earrings, bags, shoes, you name it and they’re there. You can totally trust them to make you stand out and add colour to your attire, even if the rest of your outfit is really simple.
Popxo Recommends: Blueberry Drop Beads Earrings (Rs 499)
11. Crop Crop Crop!
This trend rocked the fashion world when it made a huge come-back. And there’s not even one justified reason for you to not sport this trend (even if you don’t want to show your belly. Umm.. yes, it’s possible!). Follow these tips for finding your perfect one:
- If you don’t want to show your tummy, pair them up with high waisted bottoms. You can choose from high waisted pants and flared skirts.
Remember, all body types can rock crop tops! So, no stopping girls!
Popxo Recommends: First Date Crop Top (Rs 399)
Experiment and have fun ladies!
- You can experiment with high-low crop tops if you don’t want to show your back. Such crop tops have a longer hemline at the back.
- Introduce a third piece of garment in your outfit to cover up if you don’t want to show too much skin. (Kimono, shrugs, blazers or jackets)
- If you want to experiment, try layering a crop top over another garment (For example - a shirt or a top).
- You can also try wearing crop tops with overalls and dungarees. (No stomach show!)
Published on Sep 19, 2016