Although heat is one of the most common reasons for damaged hair, you’ll be surprised to know that your everyday habits can have an impact on your hair too. Here are 7 shocking ways through which you are unknowingly ruining your hair!
1. Towel drying your hairAlthough towel drying may seem like the fastest way to dry your hair, it’s also the fastest way to damage your hair. It not only causes hair breakage, but also makes it rough and dry. Instead of using a towel, use an old t-shirt to dry your hair. It keeps the frizz away and makes your hair really smooth.
2. Still love hot showers?Hot showers can be extremely relaxing for your body, but your hair and scalp can’t say the same thing. Believe it or not, but hot water can burn and dry out your scalp. You may also suffer from an itchy scalp afterwards.Also read: 7 Amazing Hair Masks To Make Your Hair Smoother & Straighter!
3. Immediately brushing your hair after a showerWhoever told you that brushing your hair after a shower is a great idea was so wrong! Hair is most vulnerable when it’s dripping wet. It will not only damage your hair, but you might also lose hair in the bargain.
4. Over-shampooing your hairAre you the kind of girl who shampoos her hair every single day?! If so, please stop! Every time you do this, you are stripping your hair of essential oils and nutrients. If you continue, you’ll be left with only dry and dull hair. Using a dry shampoo is a great alternative.
5. Tying your hair with rubber bandsWhile those tiny bands are perfect for a girl on the go, they’re not a very healthy option for your hair as they cause breakage and hair fall. Tying your hair too tight can also give you a headache. A loose pony should work just fine, or replace the rubber band with a banana clip or a scarf. Works like a charm every time!
6. Using a hairspray before ironingLadies, hairsprays contain alcohol, and that can burn your hair when exposed to heat from the iron. We suggest you first straighten your hair and then apply hairspray afterwards. If you want to protect your mane even further, apply a heat protectant before straightening your hair.Also read: Why Your Hair Isn’t Growing Longer Than A Certain Length!
7. Applying too much conditionerAvoid applying too much conditioner to your hair. It could add to the frizz and damage the texture of your hair. A coin-sized amount is good enough to help with detangling. Gently work your way from the bottom to the top. Leave it on for a minute or so and wash off using lukewarm water.Images: Shutterstock