9 Things EVERY English Lit. Student Is Tired Of Hearing!
Sanya JainGuest Contributor
“English padh rahe ho?Marks nahi aaye class 12 mein?”
Everybody studying English literature in college has heard this at least once. People can sometimes come up with the most random comments for English students! So THIS, and 9 other ridiculous things that every English student is tired of hearing:
1. “You just have to read novels. Must be so easy na?”
You just have to offer unsolicited opinions on things you know nothing about. Must be so easy na?
2. “Hahaha Shakespeare padhoge?”
Because that’s all there is to English literature, isn’t it? Shakespeare (with due respect).
3. “So… Are you going to become a teacher?”
I don’t know, man. Are you going to become a koala bear because you’re a biology major?
4. “You’re so lucky you have such a light course!”
You’re so lucky you don’t have to deal with the emotional aftermath of deconstructing Toni Morrison. Light, indeed!
7. “Are you a Grammar Nazi? Are you judging my language right now?”
No. I don’t believe that a person’s language skills should be a parameter to judge them. Studying literature has taught me that much. But I do cringe a little inside every time you say ‘your’ instead of ‘you’re.’
8. “Can you please help me with this cover letter/ application/ essay?”