10 Questions I Want To Ask My “Fair-And-Lovely” Obsessed Society
Neena M.T.Guest Contributor
now on POPxo
Join in! (Girls only) >
How many times has someone, you have bumped into after a long time, looked at you in horror and said, "Oh my god, you have tanned so much!"? Or that time your aunt recommended remedies to lighten your skin? And of course, the daily moments when the television advertisements tell you that fair skin is on the list of requisites for a good job or a better love life!
To my fair-and-lovely-obsessed society, I want to ask:
1. “How does the colour of my skin determine whether I'm lovely?”
Shouldn't it be obvious that it's my behaviour and attitude that will tell you if I am a lovely person?
2. “Did you know that melanin content – which is higher in darker-skinned people – actually protects the person from sun damage?”
So how is that not good enough for you?
3. “Did you know your careless words adversely influence the way children feel?”
When you tell a child that his or her skin colour is not desirable, you are laying a foundation for insecurities. And it might even mess up their self-esteem as adults.
4. “Why did you make it okay to create nicknames based on the colour of my skin?”
That’s just so incorrect and sometimes offensive as well.
5. “Did you know that in some parts of the world, people pay money at tanning salons to have a darker complexion?”
Not that I am endorsing the trend, but man, I wish I could send a photograph of my smug grin.